Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 02:27:41 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Could we stop using the word "taint"?  (Read 1216 times)
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:21:10 AM

"Marked" or "contaminated" would be fine replacements, I think. Maybe it's just a US thing....

In Bitcoin, we now have taint trackers, 0-taint mixers, Phin was just about to post a "Spot the Taint" game in the off-topic subforum... I mean, Blockchain has widely-used "Taint Analysis" tools. It's like Urban Dictionary opened a hardware store.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:27:27 AM

"taint" is a normal word for what is being done, it comes from information flow tracking in computer science, see for context:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taint_checking

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:28:30 AM

""contaminated"

Wouldn't that be even worse?

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 09:30:43 AM

Anyone who uses that word is a duplicitous taint.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
rat

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:38:22 AM

i'm here for the taint.
Siegfried

Activity: 266

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:40:30 AM

Taint - it's on the tip of my tongue.
rat

Activity: 253

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:41:59 AM

i vote this OP a scammer.

there is no taint to be found here. *sniff* *sniff*
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4522

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 09:59:19 AM
Last edit: November 25, 2013, 10:09:31 AM by franky1

the word taint is actually better then the word marked.

taint is about it containing traces of something which over time can reduce in levels

taint (teɪnt)

n.
1. a trace of something bad or offensive.
2. a trace of infection or contamination.
v.t.
3. to modify by a trace of something bad or offensive.
4. to infect or contaminate.
5. to sully or tarnish (a person's name, reputation, etc.).
v.i.
6. to become tainted; spoil.

if we say its marked then that applies a more permanent status that the coin is forever marked at a single level that cannot change. meaning each time a bitcoin is used it will be flagged up as bad funds, whether its passed 1 hand or 500 hands.

if we say its contaminated then that applies that bitcoins on a physical level have been altered/damaged/changed in a negative manner. which we all know bitcoins are not physical. meaning that people will not want to touch it. at all.

taint is more appropriate as the level of negative trace reduces with each transaction, thus allowing for judgement that the receiver directly knows the negative trace (high taint) or has no knowledge or connection to the negative trace (low taint).

unlike bank notes, which after being in circulation for a few years, get burnt by banks and new notes are produced to replace them, bitcoins can not get deleted and replaced with fresh bitcoins, over time every coin will have some taint of some sort. so i would never want to use the term marked as every bitcoin will get flagged up everytime its used. the same with contaminated, every bitcoin will get flagged or people will not desire to touch them, making bitcoin theoretically useless. but the word taint allows for people to realise that in the real world if something changes enough hands its bound to get dirty, but atleast they can tell how dirty it is to accept it or not.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Kluge (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:55:47 PM

the word taint allows for people to realise that in the real world if something changes enough hands its bound to get dirty
Sad
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:44:30 AM

In reading the responses to this thread - it is in the careening between the scholarly assessments, and the commentary upon the slang, where one finds the lolzers.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: