Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 09:13:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: On African Poverty and Oil  (Read 1687 times)
altoidmintz (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

After Economics: Learning is just the first step.

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 04:56:28 PM

There's a ton of oil in Africa and yet they are very poor. Why don't we tap into that oil by setting up a pipeline and selling it in America?

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=south+sudan&data=!1m4!1m3!1d27233098!2d28.2447279!3d4.6304778!4m15!2m14!1m13!1s0x171930b53d3e3119%3A0xdbf043637eb6bc97!3m8!1m3!1d27271428!2d34.3960461!3d-3.49609!3m2!1i1366!2i642!4f13.1!4m2!3d7.9630921!4d30.1589303

Check the above map out. South Sudan has a ton of oil but is poor and landlocked therefore cannot pay to ship it out. Pipelines to Kenya would be short and enrich both countries. Pipline to Angola would provide a closer to America solution. All of these countries are largely Christian so there is a sociopolitical harmony that could work and we would not need to fear Muslims breaking stuff.

I have no idea how to go about designing and pitching a pipline to the govt and the oil companies but this is a huge money opportunity and a huge moral and developmental opportunity. Can we get this done as a pure private sector thing? What would this cost and who are the potential players?

Kiki112

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:17:07 PM

it's not that simple, who would pay for those pipelines?
and why would someone get their oil if they could get cheaper oil for which they don't have to pay to be manufactured Cheesy
for example from KSA Smiley
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for those who don't know..

altoidmintz (OP)

Activity: 180

After Economics: Learning is just the first step.

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 06:46:07 PM

I never said anything about this being a simple task. I said:

I have no idea how to go about designing and pitching a pipline to the govt and the oil companies but this is a huge money opportunity and a huge moral and developmental opportunity. Can we get this done as a pure private sector thing? What would this cost and who are the potential players?

I mentioned possible people to pay for it (Govts, oil companies, the private sector, other potential players.) If "they" agree then we're good. The better question is how to get them to listen to us.

and why would someone get their oil if they could get cheaper oil for which they don't have to pay to be manufactured Cheesy

Because America's dependence on Middle Eastern oil causes all kinds of geopolitical and socioeconomic problems. Plus, they don't need the money like these poorer countries do. Plus, most Americans are Christians and would prefer to support impoverished Christian nations rather than rich war mongering Muslim nations, or at least diversify our suppliers to prevent this monopolistic madness.

So ya. That should answer those points.

chowderman

Activity: 134

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:51:25 PM

I never said anything about this being a simple task. I said:

I mentioned possible people to pay for it (Govts, oil companies, the private sector, other potential players.) If "they" agree then we're good. The better question is how to get them to listen to us.

Because America's dependence on Middle Eastern oil causes all kinds of geopolitical and socioeconomic problems. Plus, they don't need the money like these poorer countries do. Plus, most Americans are Christians and would prefer to support impoverished Christian nations rather than rich war mongering Muslim nations, or at least diversify our suppliers to prevent this monopolistic madness.

One thing that may not occur to you is much of Africa has as many Islamic converts as it does Christians...prime example is Nigeria where currently there is civil on with the Islamic group there trying to convert the entire country to Muslim state.

I would also like to add that Sudan that you mentioned above is a country with very strong Muslim influences so keep that in mind with your idea.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 06:54:24 PM

...snip...

The US is an energy exporter.  It has no need to import African oil.

The South Sudan already has a pipeline.  Its through a Chinese facility in North Sudan.  Not ideal but the Chinese do need the oil and the South Sudan does need the money.  A deal will be done.

The bigger answer to your question is time.  There are huge oil reserves all over the place.  If solar or some other renewable actually works, then the oil reserves will stay in the ground forever.  If not, they will be extracted in order of cost.  Right now, Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Iran are the cheap locations.  Russia is not far behind.  When they are drained dry, you can expect the more expensive fields in places like Africa to get attention.
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:27:44 PM

yeah it seems as though the chinese are heavily invested in africa. i guess in the long game they're looking to have more resources than the U.S. when it runs out in china or everywhere else.
Hawker
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:37:56 PM

yeah it seems as though the chinese are heavily invested in africa. i guess in the long game they're looking to have more resources than the U.S. when it runs out in china or everywhere else.

The odd thing is that the US is really going for fracking and using it up as fast as possible.  The EU and Chinese are sitting on their fracking assets.  Who knows what is the correct decision. 
Kiki112

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:31:09 PM

you're claiming americans are mostly Christian?
I don't think so,almost every american I  have ever seen is a atheist Cheesy
I mean anything I hear against God comes from Americans xD

the ones who do believe aren't really religious..

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:32:17 PM

you're claiming americans are mostly Christian?
I don't think so,almost every american I  have ever seen is a atheist Cheesy
I mean anything I hear against God comes from Americans xD

the ones who do believe aren't really religious..

that's anecdotal evidence.. wikipedia and most other places cite 75%ish http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States

"the ones who believe aren't really religious" ... well, they're still christians.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:42:03 PM

There's a ton of oil in Africa and yet they are very poor. Why don't we tap into that oil by setting up a pipeline and selling it in America?

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=south+sudan&data=!1m4!1m3!1d27233098!2d28.2447279!3d4.6304778!4m15!2m14!1m13!1s0x171930b53d3e3119%3A0xdbf043637eb6bc97!3m8!1m3!1d27271428!2d34.3960461!3d-3.49609!3m2!1i1366!2i642!4f13.1!4m2!3d7.9630921!4d30.1589303

Check the above map out. South Sudan has a ton of oil but is poor and landlocked therefore cannot pay to ship it out. Pipelines to Kenya would be short and enrich both countries. Pipline to Angola would provide a closer to America solution. All of these countries are largely Christian so there is a sociopolitical harmony that could work and we would not need to fear Muslims breaking stuff.

First obviously Africa is not a country but a continent. This continent, Africa is cursed. It is cursed by its amazing natural resources, from precious woods to oil, diamonds to sapphire, etc. A pipeline would have to cross many countries, undefined tribal regions and other unstable nations. KSA may not be the best place for women's freedom, but as far as business, investing, planing for big projects way ahead in the future the kingdom is a much safer and stable bet. Instability is very expensive.
This is how investors think of Africa http://youtu.be/zBZIY0WnxCM
maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:27:04 AM

What are we talking about here?

Yet more exploitation of Africa and Africans or the creation of something more win-win?

niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:57:42 AM

First obviously Africa is not a country but a continent. This continent, Africa is cursed. It is cursed by its amazing natural resources, from precious woods to oil, diamonds to sapphire, etc. A pipeline would have to cross many countries, undefined tribal regions and other unstable nations. KSA may not be the best place for women's freedom, but as far as business, investing, planing for big projects way ahead in the future the kingdom is a much safer and stable bet. Instability is very expensive.

+1

Africa it's a continent , and the countries there have a big problem.
You can easily see that most of the borders are straight lines from the colonial era.
In the same country you can have tribes that have been at war for centuries and are still killing each other eight now.
There are tons of conflicts in each country between it's own people based on religion , and origins and many more.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:23:08 PM

America has loads of oil at the moment and the Canadian tar sands in reserve.
Africa needs to develop properly at it's own pace, not pillaged of it's natural resources again by the west.
Kiki112

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 04:35:44 PM

lol, that nigga can't fight Cheesy

America has loads of oil at the moment and the Canadian tar sands in reserve.
Africa needs to develop properly at it's own pace, not pillaged of it's natural resources again by the west.

true that, but that's never going to happen because of interests that other nations have (USA)..
and yes, I do blame USA for everything bad in the world Cheesy

satosh007

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 04:08:04 AM

First i would like to point that ( money, oil, minerals....) never has a God but mutual interests so it's never about religious.
as already stated you know that most of the oil share there is for China (who is a major player in Africa) so why would the USA even gets in the way? after selling all mining fields rights 20-30 years ago.
did you spend more time to look at the type and quality of their oil?workabilty for the usa?
you can always dig a new pipe line but it have to returns its value and plus not just for what you mentioned.

niothor

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:52:45 AM

First i would like to point that ( money, oil, minerals....) never has a God but mutual interests so it's never about religious.
as already stated you know that most of the oil share there is for China (who is a major player in Africa) so why would the USA even gets in the way? after selling all mining fields rights 20-30 years ago.
did you spend more time to look at the type and quality of their oil?workabilty for the usa?
you can always dig a new pipe line but it have to returns its value and plus not just for what you mentioned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Jos_riots
It doesn't matter what resources you have on that land if the people out there are killing each other for , what i can stupid reasons.
It creates nothing but instability and no one is crazy enough to invest in something long term in those regions.

Also , about the Chinese:

In March 2013, Xi Jinping visited three African countries – Tanzania, South Africa, and Republic of the Congo – during his first trip abroad as the President of China. In 2012 alone, more than 2,000 Chinese companies have invested a total of US$20 billion. Increasing interaction between African countries and China seem to paint a rosy picture of the relationship, but the recent crackdown by the Ghanaian government on illegal gold miners, which resulted in the arrests of 124 Chinese workers in Ghana, has raised some red flags. As of June 7, five days after the crackdown, negotiations are still continuing in the hopes of resolving the crisis, according to the Embassy of China in Ghana.

This is not the first time Chinese gold miners in Ghana have faced the imminent threat of being detained, beaten, shot, or even killed. In October 2012, a 16-year-old boy was shot to death while fleeing from armed security forces in the gold-rich Ashanti region. During that operation against illegal miners, more than 100 Chinese citizens were arrested. In the last few days, pictures sent from Chinese nationals, either arrested or still hiding out in the woods, are full of gory details and convey a sense of desperation.

- See more at: http://www.tealeafnation.com/2013/06/despite-risks-chinese-miners-go-west-to-ghanas-gold-mines/#sthash.Imz4kQRS.dpuf

It's a war zone there and nothing good will came out of it.
And when the mines are empty......

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
DeboraMeeks

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 03:45:26 PM

Yes these countries are rich in oil,but the problems occurring through all Africa prevent it from being used in a good way (or from being used generally). wars (civil and with neighboring countrie),corruption and the lookout for commissions are some of the major causes for africa being left behind though it has allot of natural resources.
also as the above poster said ,no one would invest money in this field in a non-stable country since anything from governments to taxes could change in few days,making it too difficult for foreign companies.
hieroglyph

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 03:15:05 PM

interesting topic and by reading the posts in this thread I get the feeling there is no easy answer to the problems.  I think most people know the corruption on the continent and by other governments etc around the world is a major problem and is clearly linked to the dysfunction.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 10:10:16 AM

You are forgetting that not all oil-rich African nations are poor. There are also nations such as Gabon and Equatorial Guinea, which are quite prosperous. And the relative poverty in oil-rich Angola is due to the massive corruption and bureaucracy. 
niothor

in defi we trust

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 12:27:24 PM

You are forgetting that not all oil-rich African nations are poor. There are also nations such as Gabon and Equatorial Guinea, which are quite prosperous. And the relative poverty in oil-rich Angola is due to the massive corruption and bureaucracy. 

Big , big difference. Prosperous country  and wealthy citizen.
And that picture you have about Angola it's found in most Africa.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄