Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 12:40:56 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SOMEONE HELP  (Read 464 times)
Wheelzy2727 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:08:48 PM

Hi There guys, iv got a problem on my bitcoin qt account, my passphrase isn't accepting it, now seen as it won't work I have slightly doubted myself into thinking I may have forgot it... But I'm 99% sure I know exactly what it was,
I have 3 questions however,
#1. are there any characters on a keyboard that are not accepted into a passphrase?
#2 I had a clean up of some files only computer cos was a lot of wasted space on my disk and was fairly sure of what the folders were, but could somehow the file that had the passphrase in it have been deleted and this is why it won't accept?
I have backup files of the wallet.dat still
And had backed it up before any coins went in and again after coins went in,
#3 is there a way to work around this somehow??
immortal4now

Activity: 612
Merit: 102

Chromia - Relational Blockchain

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:14:31 PM

#2 I had a clean up of some files only computer cos was a lot of wasted space on my disk and was fairly sure of what the folders were, but could somehow the file that had the passphrase in it have been deleted and this is why it won't accept?

If you see right ballance, no.

Try writing the passphrase in notepad to be sure you have it right and copy+paste it

♠️ Facebook: http://facebook.com/ChromiaStudios                 ♥️ Webpage: http://chromiastudios.com
♦️ LinkedIn:  http://linkedin.com/company/chromiastudios      ♣️ Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/ChromiaStudios                     
♥️ Twitter:    https://twitter.com/teamchromia                        ♦️  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChromaWay
************************************************************************************************
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4669

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:42:26 PM

#1. are there any characters on a keyboard that are not accepted into a passphrase?

Not as far as I know, but I suppose I might be misinformed about that.

There is no file containing the passphrase.  The passphrase is used to encrypt your private keys.  If you supply the correct passphrase, then the software will be able to decrypt using that passphrase. If you don't provide the correct passphrase, then the software will fail when it attempts to use the passphrase to decrypt.  As long as you are seeing your receiving addresses and correct balance in the wallet, you have not deleted the file that contains the encrypted private keys.  It sounds like you may have made a typo when creating the passphrase.  If that is true, you'll have to figure out what typo you made to reproduce the same passphrase.

Was the backup created before or after you created the passphrase?

If the backup was created before you created the passphrase, and you have not sent any bitcoins or created any new receiving addresses after creating the passphrase, then you can recover the backup and access your bitcoins.

Otherwise, you'll have to keep guessing until you get the passphrase correct.  There are some common mistakes that you can try such as leaving "Caps Lock" turned on, or hitting the shift key one character too soon, or releasing the shift key one character too late, or hitting an adjacent key on the keyboard, or using copy/paste and accidentally failing to include the first character (or first few characters) or last character (or last few characters) in the selection.

There are some individuals who have posted programs in the forum that will try many variations of your password for you to figure out what the correct password is.
icem3lter

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:51:05 PM

Nope, you have to try all possible combinations you could use as a password. If you created it long time ago and do not use it regularly, you might have problem, brain is not perfect

sushi

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

ASIC Myth Buster

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 05:55:53 PM

sit down, relax, and try to write down what you may have used.  Then mix them up and even try typo/fat finger possibilities

>>> PM me for New ASIC Miner's Info.  We will go check it out <<<
FEEL GENEROUS TODAY?  ==> 1AHNusc3BQA2QJCokySAQ1Qtymr1ZyAG6P
Wheelzy2727 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:29:32 AM

Not as far as I know, but I suppose I might be misinformed about that.

There is no file containing the passphrase.  The passphrase is used to encrypt your private keys.  If you supply the correct passphrase, then the software will be able to decrypt using that passphrase. If you don't provide the correct passphrase, then the software will fail when it attempts to use the passphrase to decrypt.  As long as you are seeing your receiving addresses and correct balance in the wallet, you have not deleted the file that contains the encrypted private keys.  It sounds like you may have made a typo when creating the passphrase.  If that is true, you'll have to figure out what typo you made to reproduce the same passphrase.

Was the backup created before or after you created the passphrase?

If the backup was created before you created the passphrase, and you have not sent any bitcoins or created any new receiving addresses after creating the passphrase, then you can recover the backup and access your bitcoins.

Otherwise, you'll have to keep guessing until you get the passphrase correct.  There are some common mistakes that you can try such as leaving "Caps Lock" turned on, or hitting the shift key one character too soon, or releasing the shift key one character too late, or hitting an adjacent key on the keyboard, or using copy/paste and accidentally failing to include the first character (or first few characters) or last character (or last few characters) in the selection.

There are some individuals who have posted programs in the forum that will try many variations of your password for you to figure out what the correct password is.

Backup was made prior to passphrase and any coins going in.
I changed my passphrase and haven't been able to access since, I have a file wallet.changepassphrase is this any use?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: