Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 02:35:23 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Make No Mistake: MyBitcoin is NOT Back Up!  (Read 7872 times)
Bruce Wagner (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:10:26 PM

MyBitcoin.com Is Back: A Week After Vanishing With $250 K. USD Worth of BTC, Site Claims It Was Hacked http://goo.gl/QBLca

Actually, Ed & I are only ONE account holder.   We had 25,000+ Bitcoin in only one of our accounts -- the largest one of about a dozen accounts we had there.  

It's more likely that the total of all the 10s of thousands of account holders balances is worth millions of dollars --- even at today's low prices.

The site is NOT back.   People who should know..... believe:  The bogus statement is a stall tactic to buy him time.    He is getting very scared.... and he desperately needs to buy time.

The good news is:   He is a bitcoin multi-millionaire himself.     ( Remember, he's been in this since before July 2009. )    It is very possible that he DOES have the funds somewhere.    But pressure MUST be applied to the FBI and the Canadian Mounted Police's Cyber Crimes Division.   If you had an account there, please call the New York FBI Cyber Crimes Dept. IMMEDIATELY and file a report.   They will protect your anonymity if you ask them to.   The more account holders they here from, the more chance these funds can be recovered.... for the 10s of thousands of people affected.    

If you had an account on MyBitcoin.com Immediately Telephone:  212-384-2929

Only Love,

Bruce

Bruce Wagner
Founder and CEO
http://OnlyOneTV.com
global television network
text/voice: +1 646-580-0022
email: bruce@onlyonetv.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/brucewagner
facebook: http://facebook.com/brucelwagner

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yuusha

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:25:30 PM

Haha, wow, this is such bullshit. If the site had really been hacked, he would at least have posted here. He's just trying to weazel himself out.
stick_theman

Activity: 372
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:27:43 PM

I'm with you, Bruce.
twobits

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:30:15 PM

The site is NOT back.   People who should know..... believe:  The bogus statement is a stall tactic to buy him time.    He is getting very scared.... and he desperately needs to buy time.

That really does not make sense though.  Any communications is a chance to create a leak.  Once someone decided to split and hide they would remain dark.

█████                █████      ███████             
█████                ███    █████████████       
█████                ██  █████████████████   
█████                █  ██████              ██████ 
█████                    ████                      ████ 
█████████████  █████                        ████
█████                    █████                             
█████                █  ██████              ███████
█████                ██  ███████████    █████ 
█████                ███    █████████    ████   
█████                █████      ███████    ██
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
HyperQuant.net
Platform for Professional Asset Management
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
WhitePaper
One-Pager
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
Telegram 
Facebook
Twitter
Medium
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
█████                █████      ███████    ██
Yuusha

Activity: 196

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:34:41 PM

That really does not make sense though.  Any communications is a chance to create a leak.  Once someone decided to split and hide they would remain dark.

Not if you can make it look like you never split and hid in the first place.
Departure

Activity: 1204
Merit: 288

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:43:26 PM

buying time for what? I don't get what he needs time for? if its a scam then he has no need to buy time, Prolonging isn't going to help him in anyway, But yes I agree people should not stop pursing this just because he wrote what could be a bullshit message on his site. If he is legit then contacting the FBI shouldn't be problem, All he needs is to show proof that he was hacked and a good reason why he didn't communicate for so long, That shouldn't be hard to prove for someone legit. I will be ringing that phone number tonight as it wont hurt anything or anyone if he is legit, and if he is not legit then I have wasted no time stalling to get my bitcoins back.
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:46:13 PM

Not if the community already knows EXACTLY who you are...

You need time to make travel arrangements...  and move loads of money...

We must NOT give him that time.    The police nabbing him/them fast is the best chance of recovering all that stolen money.
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:50:02 PM

The good news is:   He is a bitcoin multi-millionaire himself.     ( Remember, he's been in this since before July 2009. )
Any source for both of these claims?
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 01:51:44 PM

For lots of sources, see Freenode channel #bitcoin-police

Also....

Regarding "Tom hasn't done anything illegal" comment.  Yes he has. He was entrusted with a fiduciary responsibility with other people's assets and he has not allowed those people access to their assets.  He has stolen them.
just_someguy

Activity: 125

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:04:37 PM

This whole thing still looks to me like a kid in over his head trying to pretend he runs a fortune 500 company out his basement.
The whole "from the desk of..." thing really cracks me up.
The BS description of his security posture and the liberal use of the word "we" is somehow supposed to make you think you are talking to some professional team when its obvious to everyone this is not the case.

Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:11:26 PM

I actually see the potential for a reasonably good resolution to this. I agree that "Tom" is probably young-ish and not very experienced. At some point, he/she had to have figured "if I take all the BTC in Mybitcoin I'm set for life, and Bitcoin is, after all, anonymous".

Now he/she is starting to realise Bitcoin is pseudonymous, and the internet is not anonymous at all, and that people who hold bitcoins, by definition, tend to be computer and internet savvy. So what does one do? Concoct a story about getting hacked, which will explain the loss of whatever BTC one has spent in the last week or so, try to make amends, then quickly get out of the game.

Depending on where "Tom" lives, this may or may not be too little, too late. But if he/she is already feeling the pressure, it would stand to reason that most people would get most of their BTC back.
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:14:01 PM

This whole thing still looks to me like a kid in over his head trying to pretend he runs a fortune 500 company out his basement.
The whole "from the desk of..." thing really cracks me up.
The BS description of his security posture and the liberal use of the word "we" is somehow supposed to make you think you are talking to some professional team when its obvious to everyone this is not the case.

The only part that is likely true is.... the "we".  

People seem pretty sure that they have already clearly identified the entire little "posse" of amateur crime guys involved.   At this point, their only hope is if they start ratting each other out.  If they haven't already.    Wink
just_someguy

Activity: 125

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:17:38 PM

People seem pretty sure that they have already clearly identified the entire little "posse" of amateur crime guys involved.   At this point, their only hope is if they start ratting each other out.  If they haven't already.    Wink

Do you have a link to the progress on identifying these people? I haven't seen anything beyond all the fake dns info. I'd be very curious to see where the collective investigation work stands.
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:19:12 PM

Do you have a link to the progress on identifying these people? I haven't seen anything beyond all the fake dns info. I'd be very curious to see where the collective investigation work stands.

Yes, we're running investigations in #bitcoin-police on freenode.

http://bitcoin.crimeunit.net/wiki/index.php/MyBitcoin < not alot here, alot more in channel
Bruce Wagner (OP)

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:21:10 PM

http://bitcoin.crimeunit.net/wiki/index.php/MyBitcoin < not alot here, alot more in channel

Also, some info here:  http://tinyurl.com/mybitcoin
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:23:56 PM

Also, some info here:  http://tinyurl.com/mybitcoin

Cheers, updated.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:26:44 PM

Hey Bruce, I really hope you are wrong.  It would be nice if this was all just a big misunderstanding and it ended with most depositors getting most of their coins back.

He doesn't appear to use these forums at all, so it is quite possible that he never thought to come post here.  And yanking a server for a full forensic analysis isn't exactly unheard of in cases like this, however bad it looks from the outside.

But yeah, having local law enforcement tell him not to leave town before this is all sorted out is the best insurance.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
memvola

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:32:48 PM

We must NOT give him that time.    The police nabbing him/them fast is the best chance of recovering all that stolen money.
Yes, but I don't see the point of constantly bashing him either. There is no definitive proof that he is lying about anything. As you have already stated on your program, he's been here for a longer time than most of us are, and there is reason to trust him/them. I had thought your live announcement was premature, and I think this ongoing talk about it still is.

By the way, does the community really know EXACTLY who they are? I mean, really... Considering the likely (or remotely likely?) scenario that they have really lost some of the coins, and want to work on saving their reputation, let's not destroy it beforehand. I still have respect for the MyBitcoin name, and will use their services if they recover. Also, otherwise, why would he even want to fix the problem?
twobits

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:40:31 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2011, 02:58:11 PM by twobits

That really does not make sense though.  Any communications is a chance to create a leak.  Once someone decided to split and hide they would remain dark.

Nothing I have seen posted indicates that who they are is known even close to EXACTLY.   That also does not negate what I said even if they did.    It does not take time to make travel arrangements really, if you already have a passport, and with bitcoin the need to move money ahead of time is also negated.  

In any case, the core idea that you want to push forward I think is very valid.  This does not create any reason for people to pause in their reports and doing whatever actions they planned to towards investigating and reporting things.

I glanced at mybitcoin.com when I was first researching bitcoins and could only see two use cases for it.  The merchant services and  a place to keep a small remote balance for on the road spending.   It did not look sustainable or scalable since it had no revenue model.  So you had no contract with them or consideration, and they did not even try to use ads to be even using the eyeball model of the early .coms, so I was surprised to learn so much was held by them.  I hope most do somehow get back control of at least a decent percentage of their bitcoins.  I also hope that bit-pay is able to grow and become a dependable merchant service quickly, as that is a void that bitcoins needs filled for long term growth.