Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:13:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking the MyBitcoin node  (Read 947 times)
the founder (Bitcoin) (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 02:29:04 PM

Seriously, it was too easy to hack. They had no firewall up. Believe it or not, they did not secure their servers with ssh keys, instead, they allowed me to brute force the root password. Fortunately, I was able to get in after the night of the 4th day. I didn't get any sleep that night, I was too excited.

I was amazed that the amount of Bitcoins they had in store in their node. To my surprise, they lied about having "the majority" of Bitcoins stored in an offline vault. Unless, this was the 'offline' wallet they were talking about, which was a joke either way. I can confirm that they did not store all of their Bitcoins on this node though, but it was sure a 'tidy' amount.  Wink

Since MyBitcoin operates with no fee, I can see their decision to enter redemption be reasonable because there was no way they can 'buy' their way back into these Bitcoins, it would at least cost them several hundred thousands.

I do not plan on dumping the Bitcoins onto the market right away. I do believe that Bitcoin will one day be worth more than 100 a piece. That will be the day when my work has paid off. However, I do hope Bitcoin doesn't crash because of my actions.

Godspeed.
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:10:42 PM

Seriously, it was too easy to hack. They had no firewall up. Believe it or not, they did not secure their servers with ssh keys, instead, they allowed me to brute force the root password. Fortunately, I was able to get in after the night of the 4th day. I didn't get any sleep that night, I was too excited.

I was amazed that the amount of Bitcoins they had in store in their node. To my surprise, they lied about having "the majority" of Bitcoins stored in an offline vault. Unless, this was the 'offline' wallet they were talking about, which was a joke either way. I can confirm that they did not store all of their Bitcoins on this node though, but it was sure a 'tidy' amount.  Wink

Since MyBitcoin operates with no fee, I can see their decision to enter redemption be reasonable because there was no way they can 'buy' their way back into these Bitcoins, it would at least cost them several hundred thousands.

I do not plan on dumping the Bitcoins onto the market right away. I do believe that Bitcoin will one day be worth more than 100 a piece. That will be the day when my work has paid off. However, I do hope Bitcoin doesn't crash because of my actions.

Godspeed.

Pics or it didn't happen.
csshih

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:12:39 PM

Godspeed.

Pics or it didn't happen.

^ that.

Craig
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:15:08 PM

Paging FBI Agent Smith to this thread

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
the founder (Bitcoin) (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:16:51 PM

Sorry guys, I can't provide pics right now. Maybe later.
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2011, 03:18:35 PM

Sorry guys, I can't provide pics right now. Maybe later.

This is getting locked.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: