Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:16:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need to switch to mBTC soon  (Read 8676 times)
freebird (OP)

Activity: 414
Merit: 250

Freedom through Cryptocurrency!

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:33:46 PM

As the price of one bitcoin approaches and hopefully surpasses $1000, many ordinary investors will feel that it's "too expensive" to buy in. Yet they would be happy to buy if the asset were denominated in millibitcoins (mBTC), because then it would "feel cheap" at ~$1 per unit.

This psychological resistance to the high price of one unit of an asset is the reason why most stocks do splits, to keep the price of one share under a few hundred bucks.

Also, we should keep in mind that bitcoin is still essentially like a penny stock or a pre-IPO security -- i.e. a risky early-stage investment -- and therefore in most people's eyes a price of nearly $1000 seems overpriced. I'm talking about the Average Joe here.

We need to bring the quoted price of the unit in line with the very early-stage nature of this investment opportunity. We don't need Average Joe comparing the price of one bitcoin to the price of one share of Google stock, because it is entirely inappropriate to compare bitcoin's current stage of development to the stock price of a well-established huge corporation. As long as people are inclined to make this comparison, due to the price, it will hold bitcoin back from widespread adoption.

I believe the bitcoin community should change over to a mBTC standard as soon as $1000/BTC is reached. Exchanges should report the exchange rate in mBTC, and bitcoiners should talk in terms of mBTC. This would reinforce the reality that we are still near the beginning of the process of bitcoin's growth.

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
the_sunship

Activity: 230
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:34:21 PM

i agree totally
wtfvanity

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:35:56 PM

As the price of one bitcoin approaches and hopefully surpasses $1000, many ordinary investors will feel that it's "too expensive" to buy in. Yet they would be happy to buy if the asset were denominated in millibitcoins (mBTC), because then it would "feel cheap" at ~$1 per unit.

This psychological resistance to the high price of one unit of an asset is the reason why most stocks do splits, to keep the price of one share under a few hundred bucks.

Also, we should keep in mind that bitcoin is still essentially like a penny stock or a pre-IPO security -- i.e. a risky early-stage investment -- and therefore in most people's eyes a price of nearly $1000 seems overpriced. I'm talking about the Average Joe here.

We need to bring the quoted price of the unit in line with the very early-stage nature of this investment opportunity. We don't need Average Joe comparing the price of one bitcoin to the price of one share of Google stock, because it is entirely inappropriate to compare bitcoin's current stage of development to the stock price of a well-established huge corporation. As long as people are inclined to make this comparison, due to the price, it will hold bitcoin back from widespread adoption.

I believe the bitcoin community should change over to a mBTC standard as soon as $1000/BTC is reached. Exchanges should report the exchange rate in mBTC, and bitcoiners should talk in terms of mBTC. This would reinforce the reality that we are still near the beginning of the process of bitcoin's growth.

If you want it to feel cheap, let's move all the way to uBtc

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
thetopham

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:38:09 PM

yes, if I didn't get burned on the recent rise from 200 to 800 I would have trouble justifying 800 for 1 btc. Now that I've seen what it can do and messed up the whole way up, I'm paper walleted and locked away O.O
silverfuture
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1008

central banking = outdated protocol

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:38:38 PM

I think this kind of talk is ridiculous. You want to switch to mBTC just so the perception of value changes to the point that the public will be ok with buying again?  The client will switch to BTC/mBTC/uBTC for personal convenience, not to fool people into a perception of lower valued units.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NastyFans - The Fan Club for Bitcoin Enthusiasts | MININGCOINS | POOL | ESCROW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
freebird (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:39:51 PM

If you want it to feel cheap, let's move all the way to uBtc

That would make it feel too cheap. It feels to me like the kind of stock you'd buy at around $1 per share. Hopefully uBTC will be needed in a few years.  Grin

Grantcoin: Currency with a Conscience. Distributed as charitable grants by a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organization. Learn more at Grantcoin.org
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:44:00 PM

I think this kind of talk is ridiculous. You want to switch to mBTC just so the perception of value changes to the point that the public will be ok with buying again?  The client will switch to BTC/mBTC/uBTC for personal convenience, not to fool people into a perception of lower valued units.

Great post.  I would prefer to pay 1159 nBTC for something than to pay 0.0000001159 BTC.  So I like a renomination as a concept.  But it must be based on convenience - not the latest spasms of the market.
freebird (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:45:55 PM

Perception matters. I've been telling some people I know about bitcoin, and the $800/unit price holds them back mentally. They are reluctant to buy, not because they don't like the idea of the technology or think it has potential, but only because of the high price per unit. They compare it in their minds to the prices of stocks they buy. Nobody wants to buy a fractional share of something. The average small investor might be happy to buy 250 mBTC of bitcoin, but would not bother to buy 0.25 BTC because it feels like a ridiculously small and meaningless amount.

olloman

Activity: 433

Crypto Angel

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:46:32 PM

Totally agree
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:47:21 PM

I think the market at large will continue to quote prices in full BTC units.

This has the effect of demonstrating the confidence and security in the system. When a single BTC holds above $10,000 or $100,000 for a while, it will become harder and harder for the doubters to keep stating various FUD regarding security, etc.

Also, a single BTC will become something people strive to obtain, even if it takes years. You'll hear things like "I plan to buy 5 mBTC every month until I own a whole one" or "I should reach my retirement goal of 3 BTC in a few years".
ablewasiereisawelba

Activity: 133

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:48:26 PM

Bitstamp or Mt. Gox should a/b test displaying prices in mBTC and see if affects buy/sell behavior.

BitAlarm.com - Bitcoin Alarm - Wake up to big changes in the market, or listen to beeps as a price is passed in the background.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:53:22 PM

I don't see this as a need.
freebird (OP)

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 07:54:21 PM

Bitstamp or Mt. Gox should a/b test displaying prices in mBTC and see if affects buy/sell behavior.

Maybe start by giving people the option to toggle back and forth, with BTC still as the default for a while, and put out some press releases announcing a gradual transition to mBTC. Need to get people familiar and comfortable with the unit of millibitcoin, which is a process.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 07:55:46 PM

Maybe start by giving people the option to toggle back and forth, with BTC still as the default for a while, and put out some press releases announcing a gradual transition to mBTC. Need to get people familiar and comfortable with the unit of millibitcoin, which is a process.

I have been using mBTC since $250

Ecurb123

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 08:45:32 PM

yeah just saying I have over 3000 mbit makes be feel richer Smiley
ZeWaren

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

There be komodo dragons

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2013, 11:54:26 PM

Agreed.

People don't want to manipulate values with lots of zeros. That's why the SI units where invented.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:00:53 AM

Its still a need.

A solution is needed.

Anyone who claims this isn't an issue has no non-BTC friends or family.

Anyone who has non BTC friends or family that aren't loaded, has heard someone say "I cant buy in now.  Its too late.  Its too expensive".

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
mootinator

Activity: 274

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:51:19 PM

It's a non-issue. Most "regular people" who can't be bothered to take the time to figure out how things work aren't going to feel safe jumping on the bandwagon until corporate investors get involved.

Clearly those people don't care.

No
Sitarow
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1047

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:52:41 PM

Fun times
surivrox

Activity: 132

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 04:05:12 PM

I don't think we need such change.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
Mine bitcoins without a miner! Click and check now!
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: