Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:42:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: need help in seattle  (Read 761 times)
tommyh (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 10:10:54 PM

Hi, I'm looking for help in the seattle area for using jackjack's version of pywallet to recover some private keys.

I have made a few phone calls to local IT services and most of them don't have a clue what i'm talking about when I start explaining what I need help with.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to transfer my private keys to a blockchain.info wallet, as well as to delete an unconfirmed transaction and move those coins into a wallet.

I've been looking at the pywallet program,  but I think that I'm in way over my head and I am willing to pay .5 btc to anyone that can help me secure my funds.

If there is anyone in the seattle area that can help me with this in person, please message me and we can work something out.

-Tom
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 10:21:47 PM

Hi, I'm looking for help in the seattle area for using jackjack's version of pywallet to recover some private keys.

I have made a few phone calls to local IT services and most of them don't have a clue what i'm talking about when I start explaining what I need help with.

What I'm trying to accomplish is to transfer my private keys to a blockchain.info wallet, as well as to delete an unconfirmed transaction and move those coins into a wallet.

I've been looking at the pywallet program,  but I think that I'm in way over my head and I am willing to pay .5 btc to anyone that can help me secure my funds.

If there is anyone in the seattle area that can help me with this in person, please message me and we can work something out.

-Tom

You will probably receive PMs offering to fix the issue through VPN/Remote Desktop/Webex/etc.
Don't consider any of those offers unless they post here, publicly, and are endorsed by the community, please.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
tommyh (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:04:52 AM

Yeah, I've already received some sketchy offers (as well as some good advice) via pm, but I still really need help with the "delete unconfirmed transaction" function. I am dealing with a relatively substantial number of btc and I would really prefer to meet someone in person for my own piece of mind.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:09:11 AM

Yeah, I've already received some sketchy offers (as well as some good advice) via pm, but I still really need help with the "delete unconfirmed transaction" function. I am dealing with a relatively substantial number of btc and I would really prefer to meet someone in person for my own piece of mind.

My advice would be to let someone guide you through that publicly here, this will not be a threat to your coins if you follow the steps, all the contrary. I would help you, but I'm on a business trip right now, and I'd rather not download pywallet on my company computer.
If you're still stuck by this weekend, I'll come back here to try and help.

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
tommyh (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:59:23 AM

My advice would be to let someone guide you through that publicly here, this will not be a threat to your coins if you follow the steps, all the contrary. I would help you, but I'm on a business trip right now, and I'd rather not download pywallet on my company computer.
If you're still stuck by this weekend, I'll come back here to try and help.

Ok I will keep that in mind.
tommyh (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:17:33 PM

Assuming that pywallet is just too damned confusing...

You want to import all private keys into a new wallet and discontinue use of the old wallet? Doing this will solve the unconfirmed transaction problem.

A non-confirming transaction is only reserving funds in your wallet. The new wallet or wallet service will recalculate the correct balance contained in each address.

We will assume that you have no addresses that will receive future payments through reuse.

In bitcoin-qt, go to help -> debug -> console

Type:
listaddressgroupings

See all bitcoin addresses and their balances:

[
[
[
"1PEXxge5fA19v8M9in61yZfo4R8mvLxLwR",
"Marky Mark"
],
[
"1CWk9k4jHMrFCPscn9GRkiey9rDiEnfaZe",
],
[
"1Bwtu9Y8zL57VAy2LRrTVy3vsWpeZDwQLC",
],

for each address showing a balance, and all addresses that were used to fund your unconfirmed transaction, let's get it's private key:

dumpprivkey 1Bwtu9Y8zL57VAy2LRrTVy3vsWpeZDwQLC
Kydi6vXSJrQiJR15W9gFCqFmhYH42ALx5u9zsySyDaYiutPXpjNy

Need help figuring out what other privkeys you may need to include because of that unconfirmed transaction:

getrawtransaction ffd068f47ff359623e40727c9fcf801d562d70840ced344bf96079d288710115

01000000018f1dd36dfc15d815bf98fb1329856fe5e48e35c77115777827307613239c45d801000 0006a473044022044de74f579c5de46232d4bc9e2df841bb599b02fe4175736902f43c5ba1c2cf9 0220297153bd805ba51eb1530e629074a216164cba6da23b0a78eea0f1209e48b0c00121036f0b7 5d165a4bc7d5d7f4181a8cb9dd786b5b324b7c3299667dbf32ec0feb80effffffff02002d310100 0000001976a914b3883941c99768e0cf0728820ff0c918ac9f52bf88ac2c748205000000001976a 914f3803d034202a288a834bfcb2cd70743f02254c388ac00000000

Paste it here: https://coinb.in/decode-raw-transaction.html

You will see the txid of transactions sent to you that were included, from which you can get the other addresses.

(I'm 3 hrs from Seattle, but for 0.5 BTC...)

No, I don't want to keep using this wallet. I've been able to make the dumpwallet function on pywallet give me all of my keys. Will this achieve the same effect if I move them all into another wallet?
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 07:47:50 PM

No, I don't want to keep using this wallet. I've been able to make the dumpwallet function on pywallet give me all of my keys. Will this achieve the same effect if I move them all into another wallet?
Yes. You can actually completely close Bitcoin and rename the wallet.dat that you currently use; start Bitcoin again which will create a blank wallet, and then use RPC to import all the private keys:

1. Make a configuration file that enables server=1
2. Start bitcoin-qt
3. create and run a batch file that imports all your private keys at once, with lines like these for every key:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\daemon\bitcoind.exe importprivkey Kydi6vXSJrQiJR15W9gFCqFmhYH42ALx5u9zsySyDaYiutPXpjNy import 1

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\daemon\bitcoind.exe importprivkey 5JN1FUzCAwEywF3ji3RJGNMZnSDFH86szkY3EpE8kdbq1f6hUV3 import 2

Bitcoin-Qt will appear to "lock up" for 10 minutes or so while it rescans the blockchain for transactions for the addresses. You now have a wallet free of problems and an accurate balance.

You don't say why on earth you would want to use a web service that causes lots of people headache by creating bad transactions instead of using the reference client...

tommyh (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:08:52 PM

Ok deepceleron, I will look into that approach. The reason that I went the path of pywallet is because that is what I came up with after a google search.
michagogo

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:16:00 PM

If you want to clear out unconfirmed transactions, one way to do so would be to simply run your client (bitcoind or Bitcoin-Qt) with the command-line argument -salvagewallet. This creates a new wallet and transfers the keys from your current wallet into the new one, discarding any other data (transactions, labels, etc.)

At that point, once that finishes, you can send your coins wherever you want -- into a blockchain.info wallet or wherever. Also, if I recall correctly, blockchain.info has the ability to directly import a wallet.dst file.
tommyh (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 05:46:23 PM

Thanks to all who replied and gave me advice, but I'm afraid that I'm still in the same place I was when I started this thread. I thought that I had lined up someone in Seattle to help me over the weekend, but said person is MIA via PM (understandable, holiday weekend after all).

Anyways, I was going to try what some of you suggested and move my private keys without using pywallet. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do what you guys are suggesting-- using a debug console under the help menu. My version of btc-qt does not have any "help" option whatsoever. It is version 0.6.2 for linux. If I update to the latest version of qt, will it then have the debug console available? Am I missing something more fundamental?

Anyways, if anyone tries to explain this to me, please treat me like your un-tech savvy grandma, because I probably don't know much more than her anyway.

ps-still hoping for someone to help me in person, I think that someone who knows what they are doing could look at my stuff and figure it out really quick.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2013, 08:05:50 PM

Thanks to all who replied and gave me advice, but I'm afraid that I'm still in the same place I was when I started this thread. I thought that I had lined up someone in Seattle to help me over the weekend, but said person is MIA via PM (understandable, holiday weekend after all).

Anyways, I was going to try what some of you suggested and move my private keys without using pywallet. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do what you guys are suggesting-- using a debug console under the help menu. My version of btc-qt does not have any "help" option whatsoever. It is version 0.6.2 for linux. If I update to the latest version of qt, will it then have the debug console available? Am I missing something more fundamental?

Anyways, if anyone tries to explain this to me, please treat me like your un-tech savvy grandma, because I probably don't know much more than her anyway.

ps-still hoping for someone to help me in person, I think that someone who knows what they are doing could look at my stuff and figure it out really quick.
You must upgrade to the latest version. Not only will you have features we expect you to have, but you are vulnerable to certain network attacks and the blockchain will contain blocks that cause your client to fork hopelessly.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/files/Bitcoin/bitcoin-0.8.5/bitcoin-0.8.5-linux.tar.gz/download

Run it and let it reindex. Have 12GB free.

The easiest way to fix your problem is to use pywallet after backing up your wallet.dat: start it with the option pywallet.py -web, go to the address 'http://localhost:8989, go to the delete tab, and delete the non-confirming transaction number.

Just note, you may not "magically" get back bitcoins if they were never yours to start with: https://109.201.133.195/index.php?topic=329954.msg3570589#msg3570589
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: