Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:21:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoind wierdness  (Read 477 times)
loquitus_of_borg (OP)

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:23:16 AM

So I am new to this forum and have a range of interests.

I have installed bitcoind on my local machine but have some questions... perhaps somebody here can help?

1. How do I send from a specific wallet address (not account) to a specific receiving address?

2. How do I specify that ALL change for a specific send transaction be sent to a certain address? Right now, all the change gets sent to a newly created local address.

3. How do I delete local addresses I do not want anymore?

4. I noticed that blockchain.info shows a certain balance for a local address I have. But bitcoind, when asked for the balance, shows a difference balance that is in fact negative! But bitcoind, when issues the showaddressgroupings account, shows the correct amount for that local address, in agreement with blockchain.info. What's going on here? Very confusing.

Thanks.
loquitus_of_borg (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:31:48 AM

Note that I am using the bitcoind command line client here.

If you can help with any of my questions, that would be great. I realize some of these might be somewhat unusual use cases.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:35:01 AM

1) You can't.  Your options are to use a patched version of QT client "coin control" or a different wallet

2) You can't. 

3) You can but you need to use pywallet.  There is little reason to delete addresses.  If you delete it and someone sends funds there, they are lost forever.

4) No idea going to need more details.
loquitus_of_borg (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:03:36 AM

1. Ok. So is there an alternative bitcoin wallet/client I can use that lets me work with addresses better, instead of accounts?

2. I keep ending up with new addresses in my local wallet everytime I send out bitcoin. Are you saying I will eventually end up with zillions of such change addresses? I realize that maybe with this client, I am supposed to use accounts, so the addresses are not visible, but this does not seem very long-term. I had written an application that was simply generating new receiving accounts and adding them to the local wallet. Eventually if you have hundreds of thousands of such addresses, the bitcoin client runs really slow!

3. Well, going back to #2... I want to pay you 15 dollars out of my 20 dollar account. I want the change to end up in my original account. It now ends up in another account. I can't avoid this as you said I can't in #2. So now I have to manually move it back to the first account. So now I have this new account where the change ended up and I want it removed. Why would I worry about someone funding that now?

4. Basically, what bitcoind is saying is my balance for a given public address is not what blockchain.info is saying. They disagree. How is that possible?

1) You can't.  Your options are to use a patched version of QT client "coin control" or a different wallet

2) You can't. 

3) You can but you need to use pywallet.  There is little reason to delete addresses.  If you delete it and someone sends funds there, they are lost forever.

4) No idea going to need more details.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:11:55 AM

Addresses are not intended to permanent.  Using new addresses is a non-issue.  I have in company walles used tens of thousands of addresses for a single use only. Personally (and I am not the only one) I find the accounts in bitcoind to be next to useless.

I do the following:
1) get new address from bitcoind
2) assign it to a customer account/order (in a database)
3) "look" for payment and credit the correct account (in a database)

Essentially putting all "account" data in a customer database and just use bitcoind for assigning addresses and recording transactions.

I am not sure which clients support re-using addresses and sending change back to the source because it isn't a "feature" I have wanted.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: