First, here is my computers stats:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ @2.6ghz
NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE
Nvidia driver: 22.214.171.12499
Windows Vist Home Premium
3gb ramGPU Caps Viewer says:
OPEN GL: Core:2.1 - GSL: 1.20
OK, so I have installed and am running the latest Bitcoin for my PC. Im getting about 2100 khash or so from the CPU. I am thinking I should use the GPU to mine, and enter a mining pool also. I'm not a programmer, and am somewhat new to the Windows OS, but I am familiar with MacOS and the MacOS command line. I am running Bitcoin on a pc because I don't have an Intel Mac. Some limited experience on Linux also. I have read LobsterMans write up but it still leaves me with these questions:
1. GPU Caps says there is a new Nvidia driver, called R266.58. Should I install that?
2. Can I even GPU mine with only OpenGL, or must one have CUDA or OpenCL?
3. If it is possible to use my GPU, will using it in such a fashion shorten its life?
4. Can I just enter a pool using the CPU?
5. If GPU mining on my machine is possible, what miner should I use?
6. If only CPU is possible, what miner should I use?
7. I was thinking on entering the "http://mining.bitcoin.cz/
" pool (i think that is called the "slush" pool?). Which of its listed miners should I use for my machine? It lists:
• jgarzik's CPU miner
• Diablo's GPU miner
• m0mchil's GPU miner
• puddinpop's CPU/GPU miners
Thanks for the help in advance…