Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 05:15:46 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about GPU mining (1 about ASIC)  (Read 157 times)
windxai (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 11:31:01 PM

i've been debating for a while and I have decided i'm going to get a gpu rig, but i had a few questions
1. should i use nvidia or amd radeon?
2. which would be the best cards to get? if i was to use nvidia would a few 1070's work, or a couple more 1060's, or a lot of 1050 ti's, and if i was to use radeon would i use like some 560's or what and how many would i use
3. which coin would i be mining based on the GPU i was using? would i do etherum or zencash or something im not sure
4. if i was to make a 1070 rig how many cars should i start off with

it would be super helpful if someone could like list the gpu's i should get and include the hashpower and profit

and finally i had a question about the antminer D3 and dash;
it mines only dash and dash isn't looking that bad right now, and the antminer d3 mines at around 19.3 gh/s which will give you like 5 something dollars a day. if these specs are correct, why are all of the antminer d3 listings so low? like what is up with that, i've seen them for around 100-200 dollars and it just seems insanely low

please help, thanks
Ultegra134

Activity: 1596
Merit: 785

View Profile
May 01, 2018, 11:49:09 PM

i've been debating for a while and I have decided i'm going to get a gpu rig, but i had a few questions
1. should i use nvidia or amd radeon?
2. which would be the best cards to get? if i was to use nvidia would a few 1070's work, or a couple more 1060's, or a lot of 1050 ti's, and if i was to use radeon would i use like some 560's or what and how many would i use
3. which coin would i be mining based on the GPU i was using? would i do etherum or zencash or something im not sure

it would be super helpful if someone could like list the gpu's i should get and include the hashpower and profit

it mines only dash and dash isn't looking that bad right now, and the antminer d3 mines at around 19.3 gh/s which will give you like 5 something dollars a day. if these specs are correct, why are all of the antminer d3 listings so low? like what is up with that, i've seen them for around 100-200 dollars and it just seems insanely low

please help, thanks
That's up to your budget, find and compare prices of each card, check its one's profitability using a calculator (https://www.nicehash.com/profitability-calculator) by inserting the GPUs you are interested in. For instance, if you find a decent price for 1050Ti's, it might be worth to buy those instead of 1060's. The first thing I'd look for when building a mining rig would be the most cost-effective, the one that will break even the fastest.
Mining profitability is pretty low at the moment though, I'd advise against investing into that right now.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
windxai (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 01:18:19 AM

It's okay if it's the probability isn't high at the moment; i'm just looking to get everything started for the future. I saw a custom rig online and it had these specs;

x8 ASUS Radeon RX 560 14CU 4GB EVO OC
x1 Intel BX80677G3930 7th Gen Celeron
x1 ASUS PRIME H270-PLUS LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI DVI VGA M.2 H270 ATX Motherboard with USB 3.0
x1 6 pin to 2 x PCIe 8 (6+2) pin Graphics Card PCI-e Express VGA Splitter Power Extension Cable(2 Pack)
x1 Ballistix Sport LT 4GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin
x1 EXPLOMOS M.2 Key M NGFF to PCI-E 4X Adapter Card, 4 PIN Power Cable
x1 MintCell 6-Pack PCIe 6-Pin 16x to 1x Powered Riser Adapter Card w/60cm USB 3.0 Extension Cable & 6-Pin PCI-E to SATA Power Cable

For the rig, im not sure if i should make my own or if I should get any on this list;
https://miningcave.com/product-category/frame-rig/

I would use smOS on a usb for my OS, so i would only need 4 gb of ram and not a hard drive or ssd. What do you think?
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 04:31:43 AM

1. NVIDIA more expensive and AMD consume more power. It will depend on you.

2. I'll go for few 1070's, instead a lot of cards. A lot of cards will be giving you more trouble.

3. This link may help you: http://jkcrypto.com/amd-mining-vs-nvidia-mining/

4. Depends on your budget.

Basically, profitability occurs for a short time (but not always). And ASICs resale price would drop, cause ASICs can be operated on one algorithm only.
m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 07:57:36 AM

I would stay the minimum to start with would be at least three (3) 1070 GPUs. If you buy just one or two your profits would be less because your CPU and motherboard would simply eat up your mining profits (because they also consume power, more if you are a newbie and don't have the right hardware). By at least having 3 you are somewhat guaranteed that your revenue doesn't just balance out with the electricity cost.

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
qwertyking

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 09:08:38 AM

I highly recommend 1050TI, you can build an 8+cards rig of it which costs less than $2000. it is the most flexible and valuable card I've ever used
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2018, 09:23:58 AM

I highly recommend 1050TI, you can build an 8+cards rig of it which costs less than $2000. it is the most flexible and valuable card I've ever used

Not to rain on your parade, but you should really look at power efficiency comparing a 1050ti rig to a 1070 rig.

While your 1050ti rig may be cheaper, a 1070 mining rig is more efficient and will earn more in the long run. Also, it is easier to sell 3-4pcs of 1070 GPUs compared to having to sell 8pcs of 1050tis. Configuration is easier with 1070s too.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
windxai (OP)

View Profile
May 02, 2018, 04:19:49 PM

Okay, so it seems like the 1070's are the way to go. does anyone know the hashrate of one of them?

What type of 1070 card should I get? (vram, OC, brand)
and is all of my hardware looking OK? if so, should I buy a rig with the risers already on it, or should I just make my own and do like a hanging setup or something? what do you prefer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: