Bitcoin Forum
September 03, 2024, 07:19:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MT. GoX Security  (Read 395 times)
superbitguy (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:25:37 AM

HI, to whom it may concern,

in April of this year my account at mt gox was hacked. The hacker took all my bitcoins. What's worse is they were for my mom, who submitted to mt gox some money via wire transfer to buy them before the price went up.

I have been in contact with mt gox, they told me they would return my bitcoins once a police report was filed.

The police were contacted and an official report was made, but mt,. gox refuses to return my bitcoins.

Now, why would mt gox return bitcoins that were stolen you might ask? The automatic withdrawal email that was sent states that the origin of the ip address was seattle, washington, usa. At first I thought it was a hacker disguising his location, until I discovered mt. gox was having problems at the time with a us partner for handling north american funds based in SEATTLE.

So it appears my account was hacked and subsequently robbed by an employee of that partner company, which I can't remember the name of right not. To be fair, the password was all lowercase letters and a word to boot, so it was easily hackable.

To anyone out there, do not trust mt. gox with anything, especially a fortune. It seems that this hacker was attracted by my high level of activity and there just happened to not be very much in there when I was hacked.

My guess is it was one of the support desk guys, so I would urge you to be careful when disclosing information to mt gox support desk staff. And use a secure password. Good luck to everyone.

BTW, does anyone know of a mt gox alternative with relatively similar exchange rate and ease of withdrawal? Thnks.
MadCow

Activity: 655
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:53:02 AM

sorry to hear your story. i've decided to just trade crypto currencies and leave fiat conversion for later. store the bulk of your coins con your pc, not in exchanges. gox and all the rest are not to be trusted. just look at mcxnow!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: