Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 04:55:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Volatility of BTC makes it hard for companies to accept it.  (Read 1294 times)
BigLad (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:20:44 PM

Right, so please tell me if im missing something blatantly obvious.  But with the volatility of BTC being such that it changes on the hour, for vendors to start to accept it as a legitimate currency wouldnt their prices have to be dependent on current the exchange rate?

For example.

I want to buy a pair of trainers that typically cost $80 USD, back in July I could have purchased this with 1BTC.  So lets say today that same vendor has them marked at 1BTC or $80 USD, if I paid by BTC my trainers now cost over $800!

So with people wanting to accept BTC how do you envisage pricing so that it is realistic based on fiat (via a conversation based on current price)?

Unless im missing something, without a rate determined straight away I cant see how mass adoption can be viable?

Or what am I missing?
Tzupy
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:29:00 PM

As long as the price goes up, the merchants can make additional profit from accepting bitcoin, they can hoard a few days and sell higher later.
But drops like 900$ to 450$ within 2 days scare them away. And once the bubble pops, most won't touch bitcoins, it's going to be too risky.

Sometimes, if it looks too bullish, it's actually bearish
porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:30:02 PM

1. Use Bitpay. People pay you in BTC, but you get you 80$ and do not really care how high the btc price is.
2. Take btc and it is increasing it's value, but in zick zack? It is your choice. Would you be sad if you had taken that 1btc for the pants you sold?
3. Bitcoin is no money today. Today people are aware that it can go to 10 000$+ or to 0$. It would be not normal if the price is stable or growing stable with 1% every month.

Bitcoin startet with literally 0$ value and as money it would be cost 100 000$ and more. Why do people expect that the price of 1BTC will stay the same all the time. How to come from 0$ to 100 000$ with a stable price?

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:33:14 PM

I want to buy a pair of trainers that typically cost $80 USD, back in July I could have purchased this with 1BTC.  So lets say today that same vendor has them marked at 1BTC or $80 USD, if I paid by BTC my trainers now cost over $800!

So the problem is for the customer not for the merchant. That's why so many people are hoarding instead of buying right now.
If i was a merchant i whould love to do every single sale in bitcoins.
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:33:19 PM

Right, so please tell me if im missing something blatantly obvious.

They'll accept it when it's no longer volatile. Now is the wealth preservation phase of Bitcoin.

Or in the meantime they can use Bitpay if they want to be an early innovator.

Some people will make purchases for the same reason that they sell: their portfolio is overweight in BTC. This will usually only be after they have accumulated enough BTC for their goals.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 01:36:39 PM

Right, so please tell me if im missing something blatantly obvious.  But with the volatility of BTC being such that it changes on the hour, for vendors to start to accept it as a legitimate currency wouldnt their prices have to be dependent on current the exchange rate?

For example.

I want to buy a pair of trainers that typically cost $80 USD, back in July I could have purchased this with 1BTC.  So lets say today that same vendor has them marked at 1BTC or $80 USD, if I paid by BTC my trainers now cost over $800!

So with people wanting to accept BTC how do you envisage pricing so that it is realistic based on fiat (via a conversation based on current price)?

Unless im missing something, without a rate determined straight away I cant see how mass adoption can be viable?

Or what am I missing?

You realise that merchants dont take risk right? Using bitcoin as payment processing means exactly that..... "processing" They dont receive your bitcoins for god's sake. They receive dollars.

The one that take that risk is you..... just like you're holding bitcoins. Price can go up and down.
Miz4r
Legendary

Activity: 1246

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:05:53 PM

BitPay is the simple answer, until liquidity and adoption is so high that volatility is reduced to irrelevant levels merchants will be using BitPay or similar services to instantly convert bitcoins to dollars/euros/whatever at the time of purchase. Until that time bitcoin will continue to grow because more and more people are finding out its great advantages as a store of value and its portability. Volatility is also a concern to us ofcourse, but we are much more risk tolerant and seeing the long term trend the upside risk far outweighs the disadvantages of short term volatility. Smiley

Bitcoin = Gold on steroids
Steveia

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:46:57 PM

Right, so please tell me if im missing something blatantly obvious.  But with the volatility of BTC being such that it changes on the hour, for vendors to start to accept it as a legitimate currency wouldnt their prices have to be dependent on current the exchange rate?

For example.

Or what am I missing?

The problem with this analysis is that ignores that fiat currencies, in particular USD, are inflationary. What $1000.00 was worth in 1920 is not what it is today. The advantage of Bitcoin is that it is capped @ 21 million bitcoins. The Fed, on the other hand, keeps flooding the economy with more dollars, which dilutes the purchasing power of your dollar everyday.

Think of it this way.

If there are only $1000.00 USD in circulation, and you had $100.00 all to yourself, you would be a very rich man. If you only had $100.00, but there are 1 trillion dollars in circulation, your $100.00 is worth a lot less. It has been diluted.

Bitcoin is the opposite.
totemITnow

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:13:00 PM

BitPay is the way to go now, I still spending Bitcoins because it is cheaper than converting to cash. So merchants seeking new customers should add Bitcoin option using BitPay

Sindelar1938

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:16:07 PM

Bitpay provides an instant fiat real time conversion service for those who don't want the vol

PenAndPaper

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:20:36 PM

Bitpay provides an instant fiat real time conversion service for those who don't want the vol

The problem isn't the fiat to bitcoin conversion. That's easy anyway although bitpay offers a great service.
The problem is the the volatile price and the way that bitcoin rises during the last month that pushes people to hoard instead of spend.
Miz4r
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:27:37 PM

The problem isn't the fiat to bitcoin conversion. That's easy anyway although bitpay offers a great service.
The problem is the the volatile price and the way that bitcoin rises during the last month that pushes people to hoard instead of spend.

Why is that a problem? You can always buy back the bitcoins you spend immediately if you prefer to keep your bitcoins and think its value is going up.

PenAndPaper

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:37:12 PM

Why is that a problem? You can always buy back the bitcoins you spend immediately if you prefer to keep your bitcoins and think its value is going up.

Isn't that like paying in fiat in the first place   Roll Eyes
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 04:16:45 PM

No , it actually add the pain in the ass of sending money to an exchange waiting for the transfer , probably loose a few if you buy at the wrong time , add the fees and you have the whole picture.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
Miz4r
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 04:22:38 PM

If you like holding on to depreciating fiat, yes it's the same. I don't however and keep my fiat to a minimum. So if I can, I like to pay for things I need in bitcoin.

Rygon

Activity: 520

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 04:43:17 PM

Gresham's Law. Learn and love it. Smiley
CryptoMinter

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 05:32:59 PM

It's a misunderstanding that bitcoin has been created to facilitate pervasive low cost transactions. Transactions are important, and they occur, but they are not designed to support low level trade in the same way that you can't easily buy a tube of toothpaste with gold. Improvements to BTC may make that a reality, but today it is certainly not the case. Additionally, we are in the stop-gap phase where transactions are still intended to execute at a fiat level. If BTC is successful, then transactions will be priced in BTC independent of the fiat levels. The value of the dollar goes up and down all the time, but merchants generally aren't market pricing items to the second based on exchange rates, and most don't really care. The additional gain-able profit is pure speculation anyway.

What is more likely is that a layer of banking will be built on top of BTC where involving the blockchain in every transaction is unnecessary. You probably use real fiat once a week if that to buy some small items. Instead you trust some 3rd party update their ledger for everyone and give you the real fiat if you asked for it. Broad adoption of losable wallets on cellphones spells consumer-protection disaster.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 05:38:00 PM

They'll accept it when it's no longer volatile. Now is the wealth preservation phase of Bitcoin.

^^^ This.

There are stages to this process folks.   Bitcoin is only 3 months old, as far as worldwide awareness.   How long has the US Dollar been around?

How did Gold look as a currency 3 months after it was first used?

Hoarding (saving) is really just propagation of the currency, which is necessary while Merchants establish the infrastructure.

When both are done?   Commerce begins.

-Burger-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
theonewhowaskazu

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 06:07:54 PM

The OP has a huge point.

Its not clear to me how Bitcoin will stop being a volatile asset, at least as volatile as gold, and start being a currency.

piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 06:28:08 PM

The OP has no point. If the product that you are selling is valued in fiat, then use bitpay, set price in Fiat, and BTC price would be adjusting automatically.

If, on the other hand, the product you are selling is valued in bitcoins, then you set a fixed price in bitcoins, and don't care how much fiat that means, because you pay up the chain with bitcoins, too. However, that latter scenario would only work in about 10-20 years from now for most goods. For now, you can use it for virtual goods, possibly, or use fiat-based pricing. Only when whole economies work on bitcoin would this be feasible.

Of course, the exchange rate would, by that time, be on a slight deflationary growth, and the price would have several more digits. Local currencies would be used inside the national borders and offline, but other than that most wealth would naturally be in bitcoin (as it would be superior in stability). I know, sounds like a pipedream, but $100 per bitcoin sounded like a pipedream a year ago too.

i am satoshi
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: