Bitcoin Forum
October 12, 2024, 10:39:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 28.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-11-26 WIRED: Want Cheaper Bitcoins? Hit Someone With a DDoS Attack  (Read 1345 times)
zeroday (OP)
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 05:05:54 PM

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2013/11/ddos_bitcoin/

The extortionists contacted BTC-China in mid-September. Over instant-message chats, they first said they wanted just a few hundred dollars — paid out in bitcoins, naturally — but the demands soon escalated. BTC-China CEO Bobby Lee doesn’t want to get into specifics, but he says that they claimed to have been hired by one of his competitors. He doesn’t believe this, but he thinks that other Bitcoin companies should be concerned.

“The DDoS attackers are hitting more and more of us, and it’s going to be a widespread problem,” he says. Since, September, there have been dozens of these attacks on BTC-China. According to Lee, one of them used up a remarkable 100 G/bits per second in bandwidth.
kwest

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 06:12:32 PM

I think in the long run, things like this is good. It motivates us to build better infrastructure that can safeguard against these kinds of attacks. I wouldn't mind seeing more cooperation between exchanges, making things more decentralized - but at the same time more unified. If one goes down in China, a fail-safe triggers in Germany etc.
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:21:32 PM

I think in the long run, things like this is good. It motivates us to build better infrastructure that can safeguard against these kinds of attacks. I wouldn't mind seeing more cooperation between exchanges, making things more decentralized - but at the same time more unified. If one goes down in China, a fail-safe triggers in Germany etc.

There will be a need for infrastructure that can provide insurance against attacks like these.  I know that could cause some issues, but having attacks like this is definitely a barrier to entry for non-technical people and the common people.  This could prevent mass adoption if people are scared there wallets can be stolen like that!

pinger
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1001

Bitcoin - Resistance is futile

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 07:26:22 PM

There will be a need for infrastructure that can provide insurance against attacks like these.  I know that could cause some issues, but having attacks like this is definitely a barrier to entry for non-technical people and the common people.  This could prevent mass adoption if people are scared there wallets can be stolen like that!

A DDoS attack doesn't mean wallets are stolen, is a denial of service attack. It can be a wallet is not reachable until the attack is finished, but not stealed if the site is a wallet site.

For rent
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1134

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 09:20:45 PM

It motivates us to build better infrastructure that can safeguard against these kinds of attacks.

It motivates everyone who wants to run a Bitcoin business to pay large quantities of dollars to Cloudfare or Prolexic. Not very decentralised, is it? And of course those services don't come for free. It converts a DDoS on the companies website into a DDoS on the companies wallet.

These sorts of attacks are never good. The people doing this need to be found and jailed.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: