Bitcoin Forum
July 28, 2024, 02:39:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to mine?  (Read 1155 times)
JimBob4842 (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:37:05 PM

I'm a little late to the BTC scene but I was wondering what the best was to mine is. I've been mining using my GPU for that last two days in slush's pool but at ~75mhash/s it's pretty slow. The cost of electricity is not an issue for me so I was considering purchasing a "Block Erupter" as I can't currently buy something the BFL jalapeno. Any suggestions?
dspiel

Activity: 29

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:56:46 PM

What is your goal? Are you looking to make a profit? If so your current approach won't work unless you want to invest in expensive ASIC equipment. If you are doing this for a hobby and just want to support the bitcoin community than yes using your GPU and some ASIC usb miners would be perfectly fine. Don't expect to make your money back.
Doth

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 07:59:40 PM

Take a look at some altcoins using scrypt, mining bitcoin atm with that gear is not profitable.
JimBob4842 (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:17:59 PM

What is your goal? Are you looking to make a profit? If so your current approach won't work unless you want to invest in expensive ASIC equipment. If you are doing this for a hobby and just want to support the bitcoin community than yes using your GPU and some ASIC usb miners would be perfectly fine. Don't expect to make your money back.
I'm mainly doing this as a hobby.

Take a look at some altcoins using scrypt, mining bitcoin atm with that gear is not profitable.
Any suggestions? I've looked at worldcoin and digicoin so far.
fudruker

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 09:22:58 PM

try minning with middlecoin its pretty nice
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 09:26:06 PM

You should check coinchoose.com for the most profitable altcoins although i 'm not sure if the site is still supported.
I think owner tries to sell it or something

Even for altcoins though your hashrate is to low.
twistedtrick

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 09:50:53 PM

I have been giving BBQCoin a shot recently, but having problems getting transactions confirmed today for some reason.
WayTooGosu

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:06:24 PM

In my opinion, cloud mining is the way to go. This is because on most cloud mining sites, you can quickly sell your GHS after you do not want to mine anymore, and make most and possibly even more of your money back.
budgetfree

Activity: 1

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:18:22 PM

If you're doing it as a hobby, or as I found out an easy way to put money into BTC without providing verification documents to some third-party exchange, your best bet is simply a USB miner. The prices are going up right now. I got my last ones at $40, and they're going retail for $50. You can find some eBay auctions that can get you some better prices when buying in multiples. I'd suggest you do that. I'd also suggest you get a quality USB hub and fan. I have a ThermalTake USB fan. The current favorite for a hub is a Satechi 12 Port USB Hub.
PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:45:09 PM

I got my last ones at $40, and they're going retail for $50. You can find some eBay auctions that can get you some better prices when buying in multiples.

You either sell usb miners on ebay or you don't have the slightest idea about what you are talking. 50$ for 330mh/s? Are you for real?
raskolnikovx

Activity: 186

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:06:35 PM

Its a bit late for mining btc. Try LTC instead.
markjamrobin

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:11:31 PM

You can still mine BTC, you just won't break even, unless you can make your own chips at cost.

tearfereon

Activity: 138

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 11:43:12 PM

´

In fact it is late for LTC mining as well, unless you have very cheap electricity + you have GPU already...
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 12:20:52 AM

Best way to mine? Take a risk and buy some "new" hardware AKA 28nm ASIC. DO NOT TOUCH B.F.L.
Can't afford an ASIC? Then you can't afford to mine btc
Still want to use your computer's power to gain income? Try mining litecoins, They are perhaps the only coins besides bitcoin with a chance, Many people tie the two togeather asif they are Silver(ltc) and Gold(btc)

If you are going to buy new hardware, You will lose unless it's a 28nm ASIC, or you have free electricity

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
JimBob4842 (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 12:43:05 AM

Best way to mine? Take a risk and buy some "new" hardware AKA 28nm ASIC. DO NOT TOUCH B.F.L.
Still want to use your computer's power to gain income? Try mining litecoins, They are perhaps the only coins besides bitcoin with a chance, Many people tie the two togeather asif they are Silver(ltc) and Gold(btc)

If you are going to buy new hardware, You will lose unless it's a 28nm ASIC, or you have free electricity

As I stated in my original post electricity is not an issue. It's not that I can't afford an ASIC, I'm just not yet willing to spend a lot of money on one because I'm mainly doing it as a hobby which is why I said I might get a block erupter.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 12:46:30 AM

As I stated in my original post electricity is not an issue. It's not that I can't afford an ASIC, I'm just not yet willing to spend a lot of money on one because I'm mainly doing it as a hobby which is why I said I might get a block erupter.
Have you seen the BiFury or BlueFury/RedFury USB miners? Just plug it in, ~3watts and you get 2.4gh/s, BiFury gets 5gh/s cause it's two BitFury chips

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
ipx

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 12:49:27 AM

I took my old PC and made an open box to put the components in and bought a couple of used graphic cards pretty cheap. Then I mine litecoin with it. I have 2x 5870 and 1x 5970 which nets me around 1470khash, currently giving me 0.955LTC or 17.38USD per 24hr. This is the best way to mine today i believe, if you disregard ASIC's but you shouldnt even think about those..
JimBob4842 (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:00:07 AM

I took my old PC and made an open box to put the components in and bought a couple of used graphic cards pretty cheap. Then I mine litecoin with it. I have 2x 5870 and 1x 5970 which nets me around 1470khash, currently giving me 0.955LTC or 17.38USD per 24hr. This is the best way to mine today i believe, if you disregard ASIC's but you shouldnt even think about those..

What pool are you using?
Susie

Activity: 12

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:01:44 AM

blade miner 10GH/s

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/340830
bardi.harborow

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:37:10 AM

You have two options, try and mine SHA-256 coins (Bitcoin, Terracoin, and so on), or give up because of all the ASIC miners and go for scrypt based coins (Litecoin, Feathercoin, and so on).

Bitcoin (and other SHA256 coins):

Mine yourself with GPU (slow, wastes more electricity, kills your computer)
Purchase Block Erupters (or other ASIC miner). (Might be profitable???)
Buy cloud mining power. Check out CEX.io. (See my signature for a referral link if you're feeling generous.)

Litecoin (and other scrypt coins)

Mine yourself with GPU (might be profitable)
Design a botnet to mine for you. (will be profitable, xD)

If you decide to mine scrypt, I suggest you check out MultiPool.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: