Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:04:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Explanation for today's boom?  (Read 3278 times)
BittBurger (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:28:20 PM

Someone was going to make the thread, but this time I am genuinely curious, so I made it.  Someone commented that China is not at play right now, and that serious money is pouring in, but mostly from Europe and the Americas.  Are you guys able to see that on the exchanges somehow? 

When the price is this high, part of me believes this is governments buying in or something ... thoughts?

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
humanitee

Activity: 1302
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:32:50 PM

Loaded.  Cheesy

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
▄███▀▀▀▀▀████▄▄ █▄▄
▄▄          ▀▀████▄  ██▄
█████▄            ▀█████  ██▄
▄█████████           ▀█████ ███▄
▄█████████▀▀           ▀█████ ███▄
▄███  █████             ▀█████ ████
███  █████                █████ ████
███ █████                  ████  ████
███ █████                ▄████  ████
███ █████                ███████████
▀██ █████▄                █████████
▀██ ██████▄                ▀█████
▀██ ███████                  ▀▀▀
▀██ ██████▄▄                 
▀██ ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
▀▀ █████████████████▀
▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀

Fast, Secure, and Fully

DecentralizeTrading
BACKED BY:
─────────────────────────
BINANCE
─────── LAB
&█████████████████████████████████ █  ███
█▀    ▀█  ███▀▀▀▀▀████████  ████▀▀███▀ █
█  █████    ▄▄▄▄▄  █  ▀  █    ███  █  ██
█▄    ▀█  ██       █  ▄███  ██████   ███
█████  █  ██  ███  █  ████  ████  ▄  ███
█▄    ▄█▄  ▄█▄     ▀  ████▄  ▄█   ██  ██
████████████████████████████████████████

Whitepaper
 Medium
Reddit
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:33:16 PM

Bitcoin is still in the paperclip budget range.  A government buyer would push it to 5 figures as they buy by the $1 million.
beaconpcguru

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

Hello

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:33:47 PM

Its recycled funds.  There are big players in here.  If you had 100,000 coins and had the motivation to do so, what would you do and how would you work a system where the average holder is in the hundreds.  
lucas.sev

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:33:54 PM

900 got broken, people think that once 900 gets broken other people will buy so they buy, price goes up, other people buy
Painful Truth

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:34:31 PM

people are slowly waking up. and some of them with deep pockets.
Okurkabinladin

Activity: 574
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:34:39 PM

Do you realize there were (and still are) tons of fiat on sideways already within exchanges? With more on the way, usually game changing news (like halving of mining rewards last year) take effect on market only after a week or two.

After several days of consolidation there were really only two ways this could go  Wink
Painful Truth

Activity: 294

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:36:58 PM

When the price is this high, part of me believes this is governments buying in or something ... thoughts?

Also why do you believe that governments buy now that the price is high? Do they like buying high?  Smiley
kireinaha

Activity: 350
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:41:36 PM

900 got broken, people think that once 900 gets broken other people will buy so they buy, price goes up, other people buy

+1 This. I don`t think there has to be any sophisticated reason or logic behind it.

Night gathers, and now my bitcoinwisdom watch begins.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:46:52 PM

Also why do you believe that governments buy now that the price is high? Do they like buying high?  Smiley

What price would you consider to be high for an organisation that can print money? Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 08:49:25 PM

bonus question for 2 points:

How worthwhile in the long term is it trading bitcoin for fiat, when fiat is being devalued at an alarming rate?

(disclaimer: i've took a few dollars out here and there to pay a few bills, but long term I am holding as tight as I can)

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 09:56:18 PM

Something is up.

You don't just go "horizontal" for several days and then, almost on a dime at 12 noon eastern standard time, the price starts jumping $5 every ten minutes.

Goes up almost exactly $100, Lasts for about 3 hours ... then stops on a dime.

Something happened.

porcupine87

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

hm

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:28:21 PM

I'm more curious why all the alt coins won so much the last 48hours. Nearly every seond coin made 100%. http://coinmarketcap.com/

"Morality, it could be argued, represents the way that people would like the world to work - whereas economics represents how it actually does work." Freakonomics
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 01:09:04 AM

Why do you think the price is high?  Do you think that $900 is an overvalued price for BTC?  If not, then you'll buy above $900.  If so, you'll sell them.  It's all based on speculation.  obviously those buying now think its worth a lot more than $900, which I do too.

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 01:15:06 AM

Something is up.

You don't just go "horizontal" for several days and then, almost on a dime at 12 noon eastern standard time, the price starts jumping $5 every ten minutes.

Goes up almost exactly $100, Lasts for about 3 hours ... then stops on a dime.

Something happened.

Must be rigged, like every NFL game someone lost money wagering on.

PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 01:15:19 AM

I think you are trying hard to see a conspiracy here. Maybe the price is being manipulated in some extent but not from the government.  Roll Eyes
Don't make me wear the tinfoil hat again  Tongue
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 01:17:21 AM

Cuz supply and demand.

I made more on alt-coins today and yesterday than on Bitcoin. What gives? Namecoin up to $6+, that's past what LTC's ATH was until this month. LTC up to $19+? WTF Even FEATHER COIN, that's right, fucking FEATHER COIN, is doing well. I think people are just treating the more popular alt-coins as just extensions of bitcoins.
BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 01:19:02 AM

I'm not claiming it's the government. I was just trying to think of an organization that has a lot of money. You have to admit, absolutely nothing happening for five days and then all of a sudden, on a dime, everything explodes. There's always a reason. Maybe was just another infomercial in China that 40,000 people happen to see at the same time. Maybe it was an article in Europe stating that a new chain of restaurants is accepting bitcoin. I don't know what it was, but it was something. The timing was too specific.

Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 01:20:53 AM

Don't underestimate how quickly a fool will part with his/her money.

Elon Krusky
BittBurger (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 01:21:04 AM

Cuz supply and demand.

I made more on alt-coins today and yesterday than on Bitcoin. What gives? Namecoin up to $6+, that's past what LTC's ATH was until this month. LTC up to $19+? WTF Even FEATHER COIN, that's right, fucking FEATHER COIN, is doing well. I think people are just treating the more popular alt-coins as just extensions of bitcoins.

I'm really hoping that China and others realize that each alt coin is an opportunity for speculation and investment, and return. There could be a very long, long period ahead of insane moneymaking for all of us if that's the case. Bitcoin is the only one that really needs to succeed anyways. The rest can be for speculators. This could be the new stockmarket where millions of people get rich. If they get in early enough.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: