Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 12:29:09 AM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Bitcoin be practically used in just a few minutes?  (Read 425 times)
dannyvegasucks (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 09:24:14 PM

I know Bitcoin confirmation time is long, but I am still very unclear on just how this works.  For instance, it seems to me that Bitcoin would be unusable at a restaurant because the transaction would have to be confirmed in 10 minutes or so.  Likewise for something like using a vending machine etc?  Is it easy to build a sort of supervening layer (or has it already been built) that would allow someone to use their BTC immediately, without having to wait for confirmations?

Thanks much for any help.  I am writing a cryptocurrency article and this is the one con I have listed for BTC.
WayTooGosu

Activity: 56

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:02:55 PM

Confirmation times are often inconsistent, I've had confirmations on my transactions take place ranging from 1 minute to 4 hours after my transaction was made. Unless they come up with a better system for it, then I really doubt it will be used in restaurants or vending machines.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 10:05:27 PM

Fine for a restaurant bill. Why do they need to wait for confirmations? They don't...
dannyvegasucks (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:28:04 AM

Fine for a restaurant bill. Why do they need to wait for confirmations? They don't...

To prevent double-spending would be my answer. Is that wrong?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: