Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:00:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P motherboard not booting with 5770 card  (Read 2133 times)
bizzy (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 10:37:00 AM
Last edit: August 06, 2011, 11:13:10 AM by bizzy

I have a pretty basic motherboard, being a Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P

It has 1 PCIe x16 slot, and I tried putting my Asus 5770 graphics card in it, but the system wouldn't boot - it just kept making a ticking noise (when booting normally, it makes that noise just once on power-on, so hearing the noise repeated says to me it is trying to restart itself about every 2 seconds).

As far as I can tell, the BIOS settings seem correct (they specify to use the graphics card when there is one).

It boots normally again when I unplug the card. Any suggestions?

Would be a shame if I couldn't get it working, as I had to take to my case with tin-snips to make the card fit! ...lol
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
anodyne

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 02:20:32 PM

The ticking sound makes me think of power supply issues, as I've heard it with failing PSUs. It tries to power up, but fails and starts over. It's not a very power hungry card, but if it's an older PSU it could be that it can't provide the 12V power needed even if it's in working order.

So, what kind of PSU are you using? Does it have a 6-pin PCE-e connector, or did you have to hook the card up with an adapter?

Bitcoins: solid enough to build pyramids.
bizzy (OP)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 06, 2011, 07:08:02 PM

Thanks for responding

Could well be the PSU - it's a pretty low quality PSU (CRS brand, from memory, and it's 350W). There wasn't a 6-PIN PCIe connector, so yes I am using an adapter.
anodyne

Activity: 518
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:33:22 AM

I can't be 100%, but if the card has been tested in another machine I do feel fairly confident that it's the power supply. It would probably be an older ATX 1.x type, and one rated at 350W can be likely to have too little power on the +12V rail for a ~100W GPU since it would have to be shared with the CPU and anything else that needs 12V.

Bitcoins: solid enough to build pyramids.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: