I've been working on the new UI for Bitcoin for quite some while (see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=15276.0
for the parent thread and screenshots, history of development etc)
It has come a long way, and is already a long way ahead of the current mainline UI, but apart from some small pull requests (and a truckload of great suggestions!) I'm still the only person working on it. There's still a lot that needs to be done:
- (1) Multiple wallet support. Create/Open/Close wallet file.
- (2) Drag&Drop / Copypaste Bitcoin URLs (if a scheme has been defined) from your browser or other programs. These would contain the destination address, label and optionally amount. This is really required for web merchants to take off.
- (3) Communication with Android clients; make it easy to load some usage money on the phone (through QR codes? or bluetooth?)
- (4) Print/import/export private keys (is done in core with pull request, just needs GUI). Also needs to be able to import private keys in QR format, to support "paper wallets"
- (5) Integrate wallet encryption (is done in core, just needs GUI)
- (6) Show balances overview per label (or in a tree, as some people suggested in the parent thread)
- (7) Ubuntu unity side menu (and other integrations into window managers / shells)
- (8 ) Ability to hide (not remove) old, inactive addresses in the address book / receiving addresses
- (9) Binary build and release infrastructure. (Cross-)compilation environment so that multiple people can build binary packages, check that they are the same, sign them.
Those are my major goals at the moment, but I'm sure I can come up with more if asked. Your own ideas are also welcome, but be prepared to implement them yourself, as the stack of suggestions is already overflowing
Also, some icons might be still a bit bland, so graphic design help is also appreciated. And translations to other languages (you can do this using the user friendly "Qt linguist" program) are very welcome!
Please join in and help make bitcoin a better and user friendly payment system!Developers
, check out the source on https://github.com/laanwj/bitcoin-qt
and fork away! Build instructions for various platforms (except MacOSX at the moment
this still needs to be written) are in the README.Artists translators etc
can simply send me files... preferred format for graphics is SVG, though 256x256 bitmaps are OK too.
I'll try to facilitate this, so let me know if you have any questions about how to start, or about the code.