Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:42:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BITSTAMP Possible scam - warning  (Read 1124 times)
semaforo (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:17:41 AM

Just wanted to post a warning about bitstamp. I deposited 13 bitcoin when price was around 200 and haven't logged in since. I logged in yesterday and saw that a sell order was executed 30 minutes after I deposited the coins. I am 99.9999% certain that I did not do this, and I was counting on having those coins as BTC in my account, so I'm sure you understand I was very disappointed to see this sale which cost me over 9000 dollars in lost relative value.

I don't know if this was a glitch - I had always had good experiences with bitstamp until now, or if somebody smelled the rally coming and just decided to trade my coins for fiat without asking me.

I suppose yes it's my fault for storing bitcoin in an online exchange, and now I know I should have listened to all that "trust no one" advice, but I just want to put this warning out there so maybe someone can benefit from it. 
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coreli

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:23:56 AM

I highly highly doubt Bitstamp would do something like this. They would do 29k volume per day; a company of this size cannot afford for these sorts of things to happen.

I'm sorry to hear of your situation, that sucks dude  Cry
marcotheminer
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049

┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:51:36 AM

Hmm, maybe your account was compromised?
Rannasha

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 07:05:51 AM

Did you have two-factor-authentication enabled?
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 07:47:22 AM

It sounds a lot more like you have been hacked that Bitstamp deciding to steal your money.
They are a big and (in BTC terms!) trustworthy company.
Martijnvdc

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 08:30:21 AM

Someone must have had access to your account. I recommend changing your passwords on other websites. Does bitstamp offer a way to see WHEN you logged in and with which IP address?
maurya78

Activity: 490

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 08:35:12 AM

Think you were compromised

Or you did the trade and don't remember (unlikely but not impossible)

Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 08:58:01 AM

Just wanted to post a warning about bitstamp. I deposited 13 bitcoin when price was around 200 and haven't logged in since. I logged in yesterday and saw that a sell order was executed 30 minutes after I deposited the coins. I am 99.9999% certain that I did not do this, and I was counting on having those coins as BTC in my account, so I'm sure you understand I was very disappointed to see this sale which cost me over 9000 dollars in lost relative value.

I don't know if this was a glitch - I had always had good experiences with bitstamp until now, or if somebody smelled the rally coming and just decided to trade my coins for fiat without asking me.

I suppose yes it's my fault for storing bitcoin in an online exchange, and now I know I should have listened to all that "trust no one" advice, but I just want to put this warning out there so maybe someone can benefit from it. 

Might sound like an odd question but is the money from that sale in your bitstamp account or has somebody withdrawn it?? If the money is there then it must have been you who sold the coins and then forgot.
semaforo (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 06:10:42 AM

Yeah, I don't have 2 factor enabled. It's just so weird that I don't remember selling it... especially since I don't smoke weed...
n-gage

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 10:18:49 AM

I highly highly doubt Bitstamp would do something like this. They would do 29k volume per day; a company of this size cannot afford for these sorts of things to happen.

I don't think they cannot do that. Think for yourself -- no phone number to call, no skype, no live chat, no contacts of any kind -- just a ticketing system (and nobody replies for that tickets). Most likely, they are crooks. I still have not received my wire for $21k (requested on Nov 12th). What a shame.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 05:50:12 PM

I'm still waiting on my funds to be returned from a closed account.

I'm grumpy!!
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2013, 05:29:17 AM

I'm still waiting on my funds to be returned from a closed account.

Which account did you send to?

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
semaforo (OP)

View Profile
December 08, 2013, 06:28:25 AM

I don't think they cannot do that. Think for yourself -- no phone number to call, no skype, no live chat, no contacts of any kind -- just a ticketing system (and nobody replies for that tickets). Most likely, they are crooks. I still have not received my wire for $21k (requested on Nov 12th). What a shame.

With a wire I think they will come through eventually.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: