Bitcoin Forum
December 13, 2017, 03:48:35 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about BitPay  (Read 787 times)
Alpaca Bob

Activity: 153

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 11:35:50 AM

Where do they get their fiat from? One particular exchange? Several? Which ones? Do they trade right when purchases are made? If not, how do they deal with the price-swings? What about Bips, and others?

The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1358

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:26:32 PM

Where do they get their fiat from? One particular exchange? Several? Which ones? Do they trade right when purchases are made? If not, how do they deal with the price-swings? What about Bips, and others?

Boy, I bet those upward price-swings are killing them right now.

To address your main question, I'm pretty sure we're not privy to where or how they convert, but I will guess Mt Gox or BitStamp. As a company, they can't just sell them to anybody due to regulations, I believe. But, they can be to paid to a principle, whereupon s/he may convert, but now we're talking a tax nightmare.

Then again, I guess it may work if they convert using one entity who's business model is to do such that, akin to a one customer only exchange. Grey, but it might work.

I look forward to meeting Tony again in Las Vegas during the conference on the 10th and 11th.

~TMIBTCITW
niothor

Activity: 546

Niothor

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 02:30:43 PM

They used Mtgox for both the price and exchange. I know they dropped them as a price indicator but not sure about the exchange part.

Alpaca Bob

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 05:15:25 PM

Where is BitPay based? The US?

niothor

Niothor

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 05:18:40 PM

Where is BitPay based? The US?

Headquarters
BitPay, Inc.
3423 Piedmont Rd NE
Suite 516
Atlanta, GA 30305
1-855-4-BITPAY

Alpaca Bob

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:26:11 AM

So if they'd use MtGox, that must mean they are able to withdraw dollars to the US then?

I guess I'm asking questions nobody has the answer to, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyways...

PenAndPaper

Activity: 252

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:32:13 AM

So if they'd use MtGox, that must mean they are able to withdraw dollars to the US then?

I guess I'm asking questions nobody has the answer to, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyways...

Well most probably their withdraws will be treated with a higher priority than everybody else.
Alpaca Bob

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 12:48:26 PM

Well most probably their withdraws will be treated with a higher priority than everybody else.

That's what I was thinking. That would actually explain a lot of the delays...

niothor

Niothor

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 12:52:00 PM

That's what I was thinking. That would actually explain a lot of the delays...

Bitpay is based in Us, but they do have some regional offices , so they could deal in Euros also. usd problem solved.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.