Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:13:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USA residents; Are you near to a national bank branch?  (Read 1786 times)
nanaimogold (OP)

Activity: 661
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 06:56:49 AM

Does BoA have branches in all states? Is there one near you? What about Wells Fargo? Citibank?

At one time many of the states had laws prohibiting branch banking, or branches with out of state head offices. At one time a banker could not make a loan to anyone more than one day's return journey on horseback distant!

The laws have changed and the bank scene has evolved.

Which US bank has the most branches in the most places?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 07:09:30 AM

Looks like BoA has branches in 44 states?

http://locators.bankofamerica.com/locator/locator/branch_and_atm_locations/coverage.html

I used to use them, but I recently moved all my money to a local credit union. I feel better about myself, though I really do miss their online banking system.
Quip

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 07:27:42 AM

I can't remember the last time I was in a town without a national bank branch. I used to have an account with wells fargo, but now I'm with a local credit union.
breandan81

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 08:46:02 AM

Not sure, I live in a city with a number of national bank branches nearby.  Since chase bought WaMu when they went under, there are more branches here than they could possibly need. 
cookiecaper

Activity: 4

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 09:26:58 AM

National or almost national banks are all over in the United States. Where I live, there is a national bank located in almost every location of a big regional grocer (owned by a national chain), and they have a few standalone branches too; I'd say they have more than ten locations within ten miles of me just by themselves. Big banks are very common in the US.
malditonuke

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 10:41:37 AM

If you're looking for a bank that is everywhere, go with a credit union.  They are everywhere.  Most of their services are usually cheaper, too.
ptd

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 02:13:14 PM

Out of sheer curiosity, why are you asking?
Drifter

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 02:16:35 PM

Out of sheer curiosity, why are you asking?

I'm interested as well.

Please...don't consider Bank of America for ANYTHING.

Vermontagnard

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 04:04:19 AM

Here in Vermont, we have neither Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citibank, nor Chase.

We do have nationally chartered banks, but most of them are rather small; one of them, where I do my business banking, has fewer than a dozen branches — all of which are in Vermont. Perhaps the best known bank with branches in Vermont (best known to Canadians, anyway) would be TD Bank, the American subsidiary of the Canadian giant.
nster

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 04:49:03 AM

I used to be with Commerce bank or wtv but it was bought by TD bank, which is great really, I like it. Great rates, easy to use, low conversion fees etc etc

167q1CHgVjzLCwQwQvJ3tRMUCrjfqvSznd Donations are welcome Smiley Please be kind if I helped
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
March 26, 2011, 06:05:08 AM

National or almost national banks are all over in the United States. Where I live, there is a national bank located in almost every location of a big regional grocer (owned by a national chain), and they have a few standalone branches too; I'd say they have more than ten locations within ten miles of me just by themselves. Big banks are very common in the US.

Actually, there is no such thing as a national bank in the true sense.  Banks must be within a given state, and even when there are identical bank branches across state lines, they are legally two different bank networks.  I've run into this before, when I used to work in Cincinnati and live in Kentucky.  In order for me to have funds on both sides of the border at my favored bank, I had to have two checking accounts, and they had different routing numbers.  I would literally have to wire funds to myself, which was a pain in the ass.  It's some kind of interstate commerce law.  It often took more than a week for my paycheck to clear, for this exact reason.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
nanaimogold (OP)

Activity: 661
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 12:30:25 AM

I meant US bank with a national presence.

The comments are interesting but I still don't have answer to my original question;
"Which US bank has the most branches in the most places?"

Anyway, I went with BoA and have collected a dozen counter deposits from almost as many different states. There has been some differences in paperwork, but happily there has been no additional fees so far. The experiment continues.

I deduce that BoA does NOT serve the following states;
Hawaii
Mississippi
Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Vermont
West Virginia

So I don't have that 100% mainstreet USA penetration that I have in Canada. Folks in the above states can still send cash by mail.

Is there any other bank that might be better suited? Or that may compliment what I have already by serving the states in the above list?

I might be able to receive cash deposits from Vermont through the TD as cyfrocash.

Any more ideas?

Keefe

Activity: 681
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2011, 12:55:12 AM

I bank at Wells Fargo and am satisfied with them. They seem to have branches in most states:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/locator/
Including:
Mississippi
Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota

Funds can be transferred online between any two Wells Fargo accounts for free, under $1000/day. Funds received that way are available immediately.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: