Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:04:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings to all  (Read 510 times)
zongo (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:03:38 PM

Greetings Guys;

I have just started mining as of today Smiley
The reason is I bought a new rig 2 weeks ago and thought i would put it to good use.
Though, after reading, it looks like I dont have the correct hardware for it. Dont matter, as i dont really expect much out of mining:)
I have been reading about mining for a couple of hours and I have to say that I have understood some of it (main points). The rest was quit difficult to grasp; still very interesting concept and i think very much inline with the current state of the world.
I have subscribed to this forum in search of new friends in the bitcoin community and also if I can be of any help dont hesitate to contact me.
This is my hardware:
G750JX
ram: 16G
Processor: i7 4700 @ 2.40
GPU: GTX 770M

I meant to install linux on it but unfortunately I run into compatibility issue so I am sticking with win 8.1 for the moment.

Soft for mining 'guiminer': Read that it was ok for newbies
Soft for my wallet 'multibit'. Dont know if thats an ok soft but hope so Smiley

Anyways, enough of babling on my side and thank you to all for all your time.

zongo

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deadweasel

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:06:01 PM

Greetings Guys;

The reason is I bought a new rig 2 weeks ago and thought i would put it to good use.
Though, after reading, it looks like I dont have the correct hardware for it. Dont matter, as i dont really expect much out of mining:)
I have been reading about mining for a couple of hours and I have to say that I have understood some of it (main points). The rest was quit difficult to grasp; still very interesting concept and i think very much inline with the current state of the world.
I have subscribed to this forum in search of new friends in the bitcoin community and also if I can be of any help dont hesitate to contact me.
This is my hardware:
G750JX

I meant to install linux on it but unfortunately I run into compatibility issue so I am sticking with win 8.1 for the moment.

zongo

Your best bet is to sell the computer and gear and buy bitcoins and hold them for 5 years.  Otherwise you will realize a loss, almost guaranteed.

corumba

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:18:11 PM

Hi zongo, I'm new too. I'm currently mining @422Mhash/s with a 6970 with bfgminer, but I'm thinking in buying one of that fancy usb sticks.

BTW, just something I was wondering here:

In pool mining, whoever "finds" a new block gets a substantial bonus or he will be rewarded the proportional amount of work he's done no matter what?

For instance, (I know mining pools have different rules, but I'm asking to base on your experience) suppose a "round" has been running for several hours in some pool at ~300Ghash/s, but then some lucky dude with a 50Mhash/s enters the round and after just a few seconds finds a new block. So, what would generally happen here, will he be rewarded a few seconds of effort or a big bonus?

jslabaugh

Activity: 25

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:24:48 PM

Greetings Guys;

This is my hardware:
G750JX

zongo

Your best bet is to sell the computer and gear and buy bitcoins and hold them for 5 years.  Otherwise you will realize a loss, almost guaranteed.

Sad but true.  Unless you have free power and a lot of infrastructure in place, you're not likely to even break even.  That said, screw it, mining is still fun.  I'm currently mining BTC with a couple Blue Fury sticks.  I lucked into a deal on Ebay and got them at just over $100 each.  My machines are already on 24/7 for work, so sticking these in the back hasn't added to my power bill in any noticeable manner.  And they're slowly raking in the BTC.  Unless they burn out in the next few months, I figure I may break even with the way BTC has been going up.

Your other option is to mine one of the alt coins like Litecoin.  The scrypt algorithm is more friendly toward CPU and GPU than BTC mining.  Note that with an Nvidia card you'll probably want to look into Cudaminer.

Good luck.  And have fun.

zongo (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:26:48 PM

Corumba, whoa... that is a nice speed: I am not going above 54 Mhash/s.
You say fency USB stick. What do you mean by that ?

@deadweasel
Wont be selling that new rig of mine Smiley
But I think you are right in me loosing money mining this way. Will think about another way Smiley

zongo
corumba

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:33:55 PM

Zongo, for today standards, 400Mhash/s is too slow and the standard keeps pushing up.

These are some dedicated mining hardware that go around 330Mhash/s (but there are more powerful ones) and eat lots less electricity. Just search google or ebay for 'asic bitcoin', there's plenty of detailed info. 
jslabaugh

Activity: 25

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:35:23 PM

You say fency USB stick. What do you mean by that ?

Search for Blue Fury and Red Fury.  These are ASIC USB sticks that mine at ~2.5 Ghash/sec on very low power consumption.
fannylaw

Activity: 7

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:37:09 PM

great day my friend , try not to mine and invest on btc !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: