Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:10:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Block Erupter Blade help. Very odd issue...  (Read 771 times)
mrbungler (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 03:44:16 AM

Hello,

I am brand new to this site but have been into bitcoin and litecoin mining for about 6 months now and decided to try out a couple block erupter blades.  The units arrived fast and the power wiring seemed quite easy.  I spun up a VM to host the stratum proxy and figured I would be good to go.  The blades came up and immediate started mining!  I hit about 2Ghash and then then stalled and slowly spin down until they reboot.  Once rebooted they do the same thing, right up to 2Ghash-ish and then fizzle down to a reboot.  I decided to move the proxy out of a VM and onto a physical PC.  Still same thing.  I move the blades into a different switch, same thing and then into the router directly, same thing.  I even switched up the proxy software to bfgminer, still no luck.  Same exactly symptoms.  What am I doing wrong?

No AV, no firewall and no settings on the switch ports.  I figured I must have bad blades to I bring them to my buddies house that has a similar setup.  We hook then onto his network, change the IP to work on this network and point to his proxy VM.  Boom!  10.9Ghash all day long.

It must be something in my environment and after troubleshooting all day, I am spent.  The only odd thing about my network is I use the "0" subnet (192.168.0.x) instead of "1".  Could that cause a problem?  It's hasn't for 10 years of running a "0" subnet at home instead of "1". 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitarchist

Activity: 36

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 06:08:28 AM

Hello,

I am brand new to this site but have been into bitcoin and litecoin mining for about 6 months now and decided to try out a couple block erupter blades.  The units arrived fast and the power wiring seemed quite easy.  I spun up a VM to host the stratum proxy and figured I would be good to go.  The blades came up and immediate started mining!  I hit about 2Ghash and then then stalled and slowly spin down until they reboot.  Once rebooted they do the same thing, right up to 2Ghash-ish and then fizzle down to a reboot.  I decided to move the proxy out of a VM and onto a physical PC.  Still same thing.  I move the blades into a different switch, same thing and then into the router directly, same thing.  I even switched up the proxy software to bfgminer, still no luck.  Same exactly symptoms.  What am I doing wrong?

No AV, no firewall and no settings on the switch ports.  I figured I must have bad blades to I bring them to my buddies house that has a similar setup.  We hook then onto his network, change the IP to work on this network and point to his proxy VM.  Boom!  10.9Ghash all day long.

It must be something in my environment and after troubleshooting all day, I am spent.  The only odd thing about my network is I use the "0" subnet (192.168.0.x) instead of "1".  Could that cause a problem?  It's hasn't for 10 years of running a "0" subnet at home instead of "1". 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

John

John,
I'm having the exact same issue and after 48 hours of fussing with it and digging through this forum for answers im starting to think i got defective blades!
interesting though, i also have "0" subnet on my home network, could that really be the issue? weird...

Anyone else having this problem? anyone solve it?
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 11:07:00 AM

What are you using for a power supply (both of you?).

I had similar issues, along with total power downs when I was using my old Zalman 1000W PSU.  Replaced it with a Corsair CX750 and everything's been running perfectly.
mrbungler (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 12:57:13 PM

I have a 600W OCZ power supply (OCZ600MXSP).  I thought it was a bad blade as well but when it worked at a friends house I determined it was good.  Now my friend was on a "1" subnet.  Would seem very odd if the "0" was the issue.  The only reason I have not changed it to a "1" is the complexity of that change.  I have dozens of devices that would fall off the network if I just change the subnet of the router but it may come to that just to prove it's the subnet.

Any other ideas before I start messing with IP ranges?
HellDiverUK

Activity: 1246
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 01:11:02 PM

IP doesn't matter.  There's a power issue I'm sure of it.
mrbungler (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 02:04:23 PM

Hmmmm.  OK.  I will have to bust out the multimeter and see what I find.  Since this is a modular power supply, I even tried modifying a PCI-E power cable to run the blade.  Still same issues.  So close yet so far...
caminilegroup

Activity: 42

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2013, 02:10:52 PM

Your subnet is 255.255.255.0 or /24

Your IP is fine.

192.168.0.0/24 is part of the private ip system. Hell, I run a /8 at home 10.0.0.0/8

Michael
mrbungler (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:32:33 PM

I have been thinking power issue from the start.  I have tried a different power supply but not the suggested CX750.  Still the same problem.  Hash up to 2000-3000Mhash then fizzle down to a reboot.  Wash, rinse repeat all day long.  Are there any power troubleshooting guides?  I have tested the voltage at the connector and it reads 12.25V once the PSU is turned on.  I then tested the outer power pins on the blade, still shows 12.25.  I'm stumped here.  Seems like it should be working but I just can't cross the finish line.  Huh
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: