Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:45:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: When to think about selling?  (Read 2264 times)
bitcoinrocks (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 11:59:47 PM

I've read some talk about $2K-$3K.  And what about LTC?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
anarchy

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 12:30:11 AM

$10k, not before
ohiofarmer

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 12:40:54 AM

I wouldn't look at a price so much as an event: i.e. when an ETF launches and the public can more easily get into bitcoin... That's when things will really take off.

lucaspm98

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 01:17:26 AM

Never? I'm in this for the long run, everybody who has sold out so far has regreted it just a few months later.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 01:29:00 AM

My criteria has, and always will be, where I feel the industry is going.

If I feel infrastructure is still being built, merchants are still adding it to their stores, conferences are being held in various countries, and new news is coming out (thanks Google news for keyword specific article feeds) ...

Then I will continue to hold.

When I feel the industry is stagnating, or beginning to decline, then I will cash out.

This bewilders all my friends and colleagues to no end.

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 07:58:28 AM

My plan is to sell half my BTC holdings if it allows me (subtracting due capital gains taxes of course) to buy a (nice) flat/house to live in, since that's something I've planned to do already some time.  I'll hold the other half as further investment.  (Note that it still needs a good increase for this condition to be fulfilled, unfortunately.  But it will come, I'm sure! Cheesy)

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:02:21 AM

Never. Use them to buy the stuff you need directly. There are enough merchants by now and even more will come. So no need to exchange them yourself.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
seanneko

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:05:56 AM

Never. Use them to buy the stuff you need directly. There are enough merchants by now and even more will come. So no need to exchange them yourself.

Merchants who, for the most part, sell useless gimmicks...

I can't buy groceries, or petrol, or pay rent with BTC. They're the only things I really care about, and they're all a looooong way off accepting BTC as payment.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:09:46 AM

I can't buy groceries, or petrol, or pay rent with BTC. They're the only things I really care about, and they're all a looooong way off accepting BTC as payment.

They may not be as "way off" as you think they are. We are on the verge of some major online and offline retailers accepting btc. When that happens, your landlord won't be too far off.
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 08:16:40 AM

We are on the verge of some major online and offline retailers accepting btc.
Source?

Elon Krusky
hieroglyph

Activity: 70

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:44:46 AM

Never? I'm in this for the long run, everybody who has sold out so far has regreted it just a few months later.

Well said, I'm in that boat.  I'ts just not worth it to disregard LTC IMO.
There will always be those who doubt but the price has shown LTC can be a good investment.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:46:33 AM

first bubble ~ $0.30, second bubble ~$3.00, third bubble ~$30.00, fourth bubble ~$300.00, you fill in the next blank  Grin

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
SheHadMANHands
Legendary

Activity: 1168

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:50:02 AM

Strong username to thread title ratio..
I_bitcoin

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:05:45 AM

Strong username to thread title ratio..

Bitcoin is awesome!   when can I dump this thing!
  Shocked Grin Lips sealed Angry

No matter where you go, there you are.
galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:29:32 AM

My plan is to sell half my BTC holdings if it allows me (subtracting due capital gains taxes of course) to buy a (nice) flat/house to live in, since that's something I've planned to do already some time.  I'll hold the other half as further investment.  (Note that it still needs a good increase for this condition to be fulfilled, unfortunately.  But it will come, I'm sure! Cheesy)

I think a variation on this makes a lot of sense.  It is pointless to set an arbitrary price target as bitcoin is a deflationary currency.  I'm fairly new, but even I can remember people thinking 100 per BTC was a huge amount and a great sell target.

Unless something really bad happens the basic trend of bitcoin will be up.  So if you need to sell for something, e.g. buy a house, pay your rent, then by all means sell.  If you want to take a little BTC off the table and cash it in, why not, but don't make it a binary all in or all out choice, sell 10% of your coins and see what happens.

While these have been an amazing few weeks there is no shame in wanting to sell some of your coins but it's not an all or nothing choice.
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:39:34 AM

I bought groceries at target the other day with bitcoin through gyft.  It was so much easier than trying to get fiat off the exchange.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
CMMPro

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 01:50:36 AM

Same here...I have the CAVirtex debit card.

Sell a coin (or less than one) throw the money onto the card....spend at will like a regular debit card.

I also bought a trip for two this winter to somewhere warm for me and my wife...it cost me a weeks mining, meh.

When you get a little more comfortable you tend to spend a bit...there is no sense in not enjoying some of this new found wealth.

domob
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1166

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 06:53:48 AM

I think a variation on this makes a lot of sense.  It is pointless to set an arbitrary price target as bitcoin is a deflationary currency.  I'm fairly new, but even I can remember people thinking 100 per BTC was a huge amount and a great sell target.

Unless something really bad happens the basic trend of bitcoin will be up.  So if you need to sell for something, e.g. buy a house, pay your rent, then by all means sell.  If you want to take a little BTC off the table and cash it in, why not, but don't make it a binary all in or all out choice, sell 10% of your coins and see what happens.

While these have been an amazing few weeks there is no shame in wanting to sell some of your coins but it's not an all or nothing choice.

Yes of course, I would never sell all.  That's why I specified "half" above. Wink  (This is my current plan, at least, although maybe it will change depending on how quickly we reach that point.)

Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/
Donations: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS | GPG 0xA7330737
MoreFun
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1003

WePower.red

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 07:30:06 AM

When this will happen you will be late to the game for a nice ROI.
im3w1l

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 07:32:53 AM

My criteria has, and always will be, where I feel the industry is going.

If I feel infrastructure is still being built, merchants are still adding it to their stores, conferences are being held in various countries, and new news is coming out (thanks Google news for keyword specific article feeds) ...

Then I will continue to hold.

When I feel the industry is stagnating, or beginning to decline, then I will cash out.

This bewilders all my friends and colleagues to no end.

Interesting strategy, I like it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: