Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:15:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wanted: Dead BFL Jalapeno miner.... .15btc  (Read 1208 times)
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3094
Merit: 2239

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 05:14:37 AM
Last edit: December 08, 2013, 03:05:34 AM by lightfoot

Hey there!

So checking around I see a number of BFL Jalapenos are "fast flashing" or not working, or having USB/FTDI errors for some reason. I've been tearing my jalapeno apart, and I am really wondering *WHY* this is happening. I'd like to find a solution and figure it out.

To do that I need some dead jallies. So here's an offer you can't refuse: I'll buy the first dead jalapeno for .15 btc as long as it's intact/not smashed/not missing any parts/not stuffed in a turkey. That's *MORE* than what it will mine if it worked. The numbers from Mining.thegenesisblock back this up:

http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/a/0c5df5825e

This is what we classify as a "WTF incredible deal".

PM me and let's go from there.

My offer for burned out singles is in another post around here. But I really want to see what's going on here.

Thanks!
C
(edit: Someone told me I was completely nuts offering .75btc when I meant to type .075. My error, updated to .08, which is a fairly good deal. But .75 would have been an absolutely, spectacular, that is the most stupid amount in the world sort of deal)

(edit: I bumped up the price to more than what it will mine simply because I'm curious to see how irrational people are. Selling a jally for $600 on Ebay is one thing, holding on to a dead jally that someone is offering you more money than you paid in the first place for it is just beyond greed. I'm curious)

(edit: Due to the upcoming jump in difficulty I am dropping the amount to .15)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 01:50:50 PM

So I thought I would write up summaries of some offers. Here's a recent one.

Person had a 50gh unit that would only hash at 25. Odd system, looks like half the chips are dead, no flashes done. Offered .75 BTC which is what a 25gh unit would hash, was told too low because 30's are selling for $2,000-$2,200 on Ebay.

Right. If someone could explain to me why a rational person would spend (assuming $1,000 bitcoin) 2.0btc on a unit that would only mine .75btc I'm all attention. Seriously, I built myself a 20gh Jally for $169+$100; why would I jump at an offer for a broken one.

Sad thing is that this is why the problems won't get fixed, and why people with FTDI jallies, or SC's hashing at zero rates will lose: Because everyone expects someone else to pay their loss plus a profit so the problem can be fixed and given away for "free".

Interesting business model we have here. :-)
zzgundam

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:09:37 AM

I think, when people joined the industry at that time, they did not imagine so much high difficulty.  Also, the BFL delayed delivery (for about half a year to one year) which made people from winning to losing.  I think the mining industry will become more and more professional, that the machines will count by how many TH/s instead of GH/s.  It's better to quit right now than to invest more.
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 04:50:05 PM

I think, when people joined the industry at that time, they did not imagine so much high difficulty.  Also, the BFL delayed delivery (for about half a year to one year) which made people from winning to losing.  I think the mining industry will become more and more professional, that the machines will count by how many TH/s instead of GH/s.  It's better to quit right now than to invest more.
Pretty much, however if BFL had shipped earlier then the difficulty would have gone up earlier. It's a pretty simple world when you get down to it.

In the meantime I'm going to try not to buy into the hysteria. Going with what I have, if someone wants me to fix this problem then I'll get a unit for research. Just not going to pay through the nose to help people :-)
pickymeek

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 05:47:40 PM

Hey there!

So checking around I see a number of BFL Jalapenos are "fast flashing" or not working, or having USB/FTDI errors for some reason. I've been tearing my jalapeno apart, and I am really wondering *WHY* this is happening. I'd like to find a solution and figure it out.

To do that I need some dead jallies. So here's an offer you can't refuse: I'll buy the first dead jalapeno for .15 btc as long as it's intact/not smashed/not missing any parts/not stuffed in a turkey. That's *MORE* than what it will mine if it worked. The numbers from Mining.thegenesisblock back this up:

http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/a/0c5df5825e

This is what we classify as a "WTF incredible deal".

PM me and let's go from there.

My offer for burned out singles is in another post around here. But I really want to see what's going on here.

Thanks!
C
(edit: Someone told me I was completely nuts offering .75btc when I meant to type .075. My error, updated to .08, which is a fairly good deal. But .75 would have been an absolutely, spectacular, that is the most stupid amount in the world sort of deal)

(edit: I bumped up the price to more than what it will mine simply because I'm curious to see how irrational people are. Selling a jally for $600 on Ebay is one thing, holding on to a dead jally that someone is offering you more money than you paid in the first place for it is just beyond greed. I'm curious)

(edit: Due to the upcoming jump in difficulty I am dropping the amount to .15)

I don't argue that this isn't a good deal for a broken jally, but .15 is not more than it would have made in its lifetime.

My jally: http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1BJwCSRt7doZMS1RWtNFhefFbHmSU4BXPY
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:08:15 PM
Last edit: September 23, 2014, 07:04:41 PM by lightfoot

I don't argue that this isn't a good deal for a broken jally, but .15 is not more than it would have made in its lifetime.

My jally: http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1BJwCSRt7doZMS1RWtNFhefFbHmSU4BXPY

Hee hee! My single Jally... Yeah, it's hashing at 20gh. But that's because I rule :-)

The point though is that from today (well tomorrow going forward) a jally that falls into my hand and starts mining can only mine another .15btc due to difficulty going up. That's why I posted the calcs from mining.thegenesisblock. Now I did assume 5gh and not 8 partially because bringing a 5 to an 8 requires at the least a $50 dragon and some skillz.

So I think it is a fair deal. The problem is you can "get" more than that on Ebay now for a working jally (.6btc at 1,000 rates) but this is not because the jally is worth it intrinsicly but because people are stupid as all hell. I could sell my block erupter for $45 now even though it will never even cover it's electricity usages.

It's that crazy. So no, I don't expect anyone to take me up on the offer, but it's not because it's a fair offer. It's because one can skin a more gullible person out there out of more money, which is the definition of "greed".

C
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 09, 2013, 06:18:01 PM

Someone who accepted my offer of .20 btc (a bad offer on my part) elected to tap out since they got an offer from BFL for a replacement, and a "working unit could then be sold for more than .2 btc to someone else".

Greed. Fair enough, I don't mind since I would have paid more than what the unit is worth. And after researching why things are failing on the jalapenos I know what the problem is, and what it would take to fix it.

Maybe I'll tell people if enough jally users donate to me :-)  Yes, mildly grumpy since some chips I was going to buy for .02btc each went up to .05btc each due in part to my posting about success in boosting the jallies in general.

Not sure if they are worth it now, Oh well.

C
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: