Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 10:49:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Mpex.co] The Scientology of Bitcoin Finance?  (Read 27428 times)
jimmothy (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:44:22 PM

And for a less skewed comparison:

Value of publicly owned shares:

Mpex: 130k btc
Asicminer: 130k btc

Dividends paid last year:

Mpex: 14k btc
Asicminer: 200k btc

Amount of dividends derived directly from losses of own investors:

Mpex: 13k btc
Asicminer: 0 btc

Dividends derived from service/sales:

Mpex: 1k btc
Asicminer: 200k btc

What happened to your bet?

No BTC just hot air out the mouth or what is it?

Sorry not going to risk money on this considering it is impossible to predict the amount of btc noobs you can recruit to this cult and how your cult members will react to no income.

I would be willing to bet asicminer pays more in dividends than mpex does this year.
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:42:26 AM

Where exactly has Satoshi Dice and Asicminer gone?

Satoshi Dice has delisted and thus has a market cap of 0. Asicminer is trading at about 2-300k BTC, which is nowhere near in range. Thus, gone, in the context we were discussing, which was MPEx' oppressively colossal 8-900k BTC weight.
You are implying Satoshi Dice was/is somehow worthless?  Although my knowledge is limited weren't the shares bought out at a premium not delisted.  Your own post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=465334.0 mentions the venture as a successful one. 
As far ASICminer vs MPEx the valuations seem in line if one believes that MPEx is the only trustworthy BTC Stock exchange vs ASICminer being one of many ASIC manufacturerers.  Even if not most successful at least trustworthy up till now so why the dislike of them?

Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 01:57:16 PM

I would be willing to bet asicminer pays more in dividends than mpex does this year.

Go set it up on BitBet.

Satoshi Dice has delisted and thus has a market cap of 0. Asicminer is trading at about 2-300k BTC, which is nowhere near in range. Thus, gone, in the context we were discussing, which was MPEx' oppressively colossal 8-900k BTC weight.
You are implying Satoshi Dice was/is somehow worthless?  Although my knowledge is limited weren't the shares bought out at a premium not delisted.  Your own post https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=465334.0 mentions the venture as a successful one. 
As far ASICminer vs MPEx the valuations seem in line if one believes that MPEx is the only trustworthy BTC Stock exchange vs ASICminer being one of many ASIC manufacturerers.  Even if not most successful at least trustworthy up till now so why the dislike of them?

There is a difference between "worthless" and "having no published market cap since it is not listed to trade anywhere". Since SatoshiDice is no longer publicly traded, it obviously cannot be one of the highest valued publicly traded companies anymore.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 04:57:31 PM

My bet is this ponzi collapses within the next 6 months.

Meanwhile, cca 1991,

LEVITAN: I wanna remind everyone that the tenth anniversary party for Rick Barr Properties is gonna be Wednesday afternoon at four o'clock in Lasky's Bar, on Madison 48th. I want all of you to be there. This really means a lot to me. Is that Costanza over there? What are you doing here?

GEORGE: What?

LEVITAN: Am I crazy, or didn't you quit?

GEORGE: When?

LEVITAN: Friday.

GEORGE: Oh, what? What? That? Are you kidding? I didn't quit. What? You took that seriously?

LEVITAN: You mean, laughingstock? All that stuff?

GEORGE: Come on. Will you stop it.

LEVITAN: No brains? No ability?

GEORGE: Teasing.

LEVITAN: Okay. I want you outta here.

GEORGE: I don't know where you're getting this from. I....you're serious aren't you? Oh, (laughing) you see? You see, you just don't know my sense of humor. Dan, don't I joke around all the time?

DAN: I wouldn't say all the time.

LEVITAN: You can't win. You can't beat me. That's why I'm here and you're there. Because I'm a winner. I'll always be a winner and you'll always be a loser.

You Georges of the world really do have infinite hitpoints, don't you. Here's a hint. Those people aren't really around anymore. And in 2021 I'll be having the same discussion, with fuckwits equally certain in their Dunning-Kruger sponsored fuckwittery.

So...whatever.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
User705
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1006

First 100% Liquid Stablecoin Backed by Gold

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 06:27:01 PM

Go set it up on BitBet.

There is a difference between "worthless" and "having no published market cap since it is not listed to trade anywhere". Since SatoshiDice is no longer publicly traded, it obviously cannot be one of the highest valued publicly traded companies anymore.
Glad you agree that satoshi dice doesn't have a market cap of 0.  Unless I misread you. 
+1 on the bet idea.  What are the other terms?  Although if jimmothy thinks mpex will collapse wouldn't he think bitbet would too?  So betting on bitbet about bitbet collapsing seems ...

Peter Lambert

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 07:36:46 PM

Go set it up on BitBet.

Glad you agree that satoshi dice doesn't have a market cap of 0.  Unless I misread you. 
+1 on the bet idea.  What are the other terms?  Although if jimmothy thinks mpex will collapse wouldn't he think bitbet would too?  So betting on bitbet about bitbet collapsing seems ...

BitBet and MPEx are separate, but if you know a better bitcoin betting platform then go ahead and set the bet up there.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 08:20:53 PM

Glad you agree that satoshi dice doesn't have a market cap of 0. Unless I misread you.

You misread.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
March 08, 2014, 09:05:34 PM

Go set it up on BitBet.

BitBet and MPEx are separate, but if you know a better bitcoin betting platform then go ahead and set the bet up there.

I would make a bet using bitbet if they were any less of a scummy company. I love the site/ui/functionality but not a fan of the fine print bullshit like if you bet after a deadline the money is considered a donation. This is no way to run a business especially when you are using a currency that takes a long ass time to confirm sometimes.

I would bet 0.1btc asicminer pays more in divs the following year.

Not going to bet it collapses because I actually changed my mind on that statement. It may not collapse within that time frame but it will surely pay out embarrassingly small divs while nobody uses the useless service.

The only hope of mpex succeeding was with a steady flow of idiots willing to gamble huge sums with options but now that cant even happen.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 10, 2014, 02:01:44 PM

I would make a bet using bitbet if they were any less of a scummy company. I love the site/ui/functionality but not a fan of the fine print bullshit like if you bet after a deadline the money is considered a donation. This is no way to run a business especially when you are using a currency that takes a long ass time to confirm sometimes.

Not going to bet it collapses because I actually changed my mind on that statement. It may not collapse within that time frame but it will surely pay out embarrassingly small divs while nobody uses the useless service.

The only hope of mpex succeeding was with a steady flow of idiots willing to gamble huge sums with options but now that cant even happen.

Save your bitcents, buy yourself a warm meal, or a pair of shoes, or whatever. This discussion is over, random consumer scum do not get to opine on finance.

Peter Lambert

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 05:10:35 PM
Last edit: March 14, 2014, 05:21:04 PM by Peter Lambert

Up on BitBet: http://bitbet.us/bet/784/s-mpoe-to-rise-above-0-001-before-july/, not quite the bet that MPEX is going to fail, but those who think it will fail can probably put some money on this.

There is also this bet: http://bitbet.us/bet/710/mpex-mkt-cap-over-2m-btc-in-first/.

jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 06:03:21 PM

Up on BitBet: http://bitbet.us/bet/784/s-mpoe-to-rise-above-0-001-before-july/, not quite the bet that MPEX is going to fail, but those who think it will fail can probably put some money on this.

There is also this bet: http://bitbet.us/bet/710/mpex-mkt-cap-over-2m-btc-in-first/.

I would love to make a bet but I don't use bitbet after learning about their bullshit policy.

If they chose to screw over customers by stealing late bets along with fine print bullshit then I wont give them my business.
jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
March 14, 2014, 06:07:52 PM

Save your bitcents, buy yourself a warm meal, or a pair of shoes, or whatever. This discussion is over, random consumer scum do not get to opine on finance.

That's a shame because I love having a discussion with you. Why won't you take my bet so I can buy extra warm meals? Isn't gambling your thing?

Or are you not confident in your own ability to bring in any significant revenue.
MPOE-PR

View Profile
March 15, 2014, 10:35:52 AM

That's a shame because I love having a discussion with you. Why won't you take my bet so I can buy extra warm meals? Isn't gambling your thing?

Or are you not confident in your own ability to bring in any significant revenue.

"Gambling is my thing"? Dude, stop imagining everything you hear, see or read is coming from the same voices in your head.

While I get it may be hard for you, you have to somehow achieve this distinction, because as it stands your presumption is insulting to the few members of the general public that may come into contact with your broken, sorry ass. Like I dunno, social caseworkers, nightcourt judges, me....

You'll have to do it, irrespective of how inconvenient it may seem, because there can be no contest of convenience between these two: while your own head with its own productions is the epitome of impotence, we can hurt you. And we will hurt you. Very, very badly. Especially the cops, they're the worst. Well... at least if you're decerebrated enough that a baton up your ass is the only pain stimulus you respond to anymore.

Duffer1

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 17, 2014, 01:38:46 AM

I have but one mouth,
quoth rabbi bin Popescu,
there-fore I must laugh
dewdeded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011

Monero Evangelist

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 12:37:15 PM

For me as outsider it looks like jimmothy is a paid shill/troll from an competing Bitcoin investment plattform.
It's obvious he has vested intrest in the discussion and is not neutral.
Peter Lambert

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 02:15:09 PM

For me as outsider it looks like jimmothy is a paid shill/troll from an competing Bitcoin investment plattform.

Any guesses as to where he is coming from?

So I was thinking: It costs something like 25 btc to register an account on MPEx (assuming you get a referral, why wouldn't you?). It costs something like 1 btc per month to have an asset listed on Havelock (at least, that is what I remember from their IPO prospectus, correct me if I am wrong). So if a company expects to be in business more than 2 years (why would you list a company if you don't expect it to last that long?), it is actually a better deal to go the route of listing on MPEx than Havelock.

jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 07:03:35 PM

Any guesses as to where he is coming from?

So I was thinking: It costs something like 25 btc to register an account on MPEx (assuming you get a referral, why wouldn't you?). It costs something like 1 btc per month to have an asset listed on Havelock (at least, that is what I remember from their IPO prospectus, correct me if I am wrong). So if a company expects to be in business more than 2 years (why would you list a company if you don't expect it to last that long?), it is actually a better deal to go the route of listing on MPEx than Havelock.

havelock only requires fees to list a security.

Mpex requires 30btc for anyone and 5btc back per person you recruit.

How can you compare the two?
jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 07:14:39 PM

Unrealized gains are very different from actual BTC on hand.

yup, anyone can make their own website and claim all sorts of unrealized gains when they are the ones reporting the price. (and odds are the only one buying and selling)  it is pretty lulz but if he can get away with it, why not?

It boggles my mind that people presumably trust mpex enough to fork over the minimum of 10btc.

The trading on mpex looks so unnatural its a joke.

It's almost as if mircea doesn't care that you know he is the only one trading/pumping his stock
ex-trader

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 24, 2014, 09:24:25 PM

but really its hard not to make money in btc land, so many fools.

Spot-on.

If it wasn't for the fact that I have some integrity and respect for the law, I reckon I could easily launch a few fake companies in different areas of Bitcoin with wild crazy unproveable business plans and I'd bet that I'd get a load of Bitcoins raised from people who spent good money or time earning their coins, but are essentially willing to throw them in the general direction of anyone with a nice-sounding idea.....
jimmothy (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 06:26:24 PM

http://trilema.com/2014/bitcoin-assets-m/
#bitcoin-assets is now a cult!

Assuming it wasn't already.

I am surprised mp didn't throw in a random 5 btc fee to join the chat room/cult. Seems like something he would do.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: