Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:42:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Indicator: Number of sites accepting bitcoin  (Read 16331 times)
Andrew Bitcoiner

Activity: 396
Merit: 250

Send correspondance to GPG key A372E7C6

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2011, 05:24:50 AM

I believe the "killer app" for bitcoin would be a payment processing service. Making smallish payments across borders is very troublesome and expensive, and I think various third parties could easily compete directly against credit card companies and Paypal.

This is what I have in mind:

A US-based company that can make bank transfers (write checks or make direct deposits) to US banks. The company holds a largish amount of BTC and USD in an exchange and hedges itself against fluctuations in BTC value. The recipients provide their identification to the company so that the payment processing company can cooperate with law enforcement and comply with money laundering laws. The money senders just send BTC (and remain anonymous if they so wish), the processing company covers its costs (+profit) with fees and then just sends the USD to the recipients. Everything is perfectly legal, I think. And even if the fees might initially be higher than even Paypal, I believe there could be demand for this service.

http://bitcashretail.com

MAKE MONEY! ADVERTISE FOR BITCOINS http://www.bitcoinadvertising.com
Bitcoin News Site http://coinbits.com
Bitcoin Blackjack http://bitjack21.com
Bitcoin, Darknet, IT consulting http://cryptophene.com
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
October 09, 2011, 09:42:18 AM

I believe the "killer app" for bitcoin would be a payment processing service. Making smallish payments across borders is very troublesome and expensive, and I think various third parties could easily compete directly against credit card companies and Paypal.

This is what I have in mind:

A US-based company that can make bank transfers (write checks or make direct deposits) to US banks. The company holds a largish amount of BTC and USD in an exchange and hedges itself against fluctuations in BTC value. The recipients provide their identification to the company so that the payment processing company can cooperate with law enforcement and comply with money laundering laws. The money senders just send BTC (and remain anonymous if they so wish), the processing company covers its costs (+profit) with fees and then just sends the USD to the recipients. Everything is perfectly legal, I think. And even if the fees might initially be higher than even Paypal, I believe there could be demand for this service.

http://bitcashretail.com

How does your service get around money laundering and anti terrorism legislation in the USA and other countries?  Do people who want to transfer money have to identify themselves with sufficient ID?  This is more a follow up to the original question of transferring money between countries, and bitcashretail.com was cited as the answer to that.

Also you have at least 2 spelling errors on your front page.  "onvert" and "BitCashRetai.com"

"BitCashRetail.com is designed for Merchants and Sellers to get the maximum rate of return on what they have to sell at no cost*"

"* Some fees apply, please read the Terms Of Service"

Aren't these two statements directly contradictory?
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2011, 08:25:13 PM

Updated

Since my last update 2 month have past. In despite of a continued devaluation of bitcoin against real world currencies, the number of businesses accepting bitcoin on- as well as offline has risen constantly. Especially the segment of professional services, like software- consulting or creative services has picked up. Some previous entries vanished and are not part of the count anymore, others were created.

I will continue to illustrate the stats of the list at irregular intervals, feedback and contributions welcome!
sethsethseth

Activity: 257

Not trusting third parties with my private keys

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 01:46:20 PM

I was very suprised to see this number has only increased by 100 or so in 6 months.  I was expecting to see exponential growth instead of linear.  Estimating the black market growth would be interesting. It was attempted in this thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40758.0

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
January 16, 2012, 02:03:36 PM

I was very suprised to see this number has only increased by 100 or so in 6 months.  I was expecting to see exponential growth instead of linear.  Estimating the black market growth would be interesting. It was attempted in this thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40758.0
I believe it will continue to be linear until Bitcoin is accepted as payment by a prominent, well known merchant. We need only a couple of those and it'll explode to exponential growth. But not before. There is simply not enough marketing potential yet to fuel massive merchant growth. I'm very confident that this will change in a couple of years though, it requires a spark of some sort. It's just a matter of time.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 16, 2012, 08:04:08 PM

Update  Cheesy
sethsethseth

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 09:43:57 PM

I keep checking this thread hoping for updates:)

SealsWithClubs poker room has  over 400 players online. Buy in from .01 to 60btc.      BTCSportsMatch lets you bet sports with vig free lines!  Best kept secret in bitcoin....          LocalBitcoins.com is very user-friendly now for bank transfers.  You don't have to live close to trade when in the same currency area.           
Electrum client is awesome. Try it. And please stop sending bitcoins to sites run by security newbies, or don't complain when you lose everything.
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 08, 2012, 11:23:17 PM

updated monthly,
next update in T-07 days..
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2012, 08:38:37 AM

DECLINE!

update (watch first post of thread)
Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2012, 11:57:28 AM

DECLINE!

update (watch first post of thread)
Just like you explained in the first post this is due to a cleanup process. In recent months there has been talk that the list needs to be evaluated from top to bottom, not many have participated in it but I think this has already had a significant effect. It will probably lead to more decline when evaluation of all entries is finished.

It's a good thing for Bitcoin users because the list had a good number of dead/zombie sites, which will now be removed.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2012, 10:23:05 PM

how do you view the Merchants_&_Donations.ods file?  What program can I use?

And this does not include brick & mortar stores, correct?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2012, 04:02:59 PM

use open office, libre office, gnumeric,..

Yes it includes real world stores as well. All entries from indent "4 Internet & Mobile services" are counted.
sethsethseth

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 09:27:52 PM

How is march coming along?

kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
March 22, 2012, 11:42:57 AM

I suggest adding some more colors like orange, pink, yellow, dark green, etc.  Right now there seems to be a lot of shades of blue that are a little tougher to distinguish.  Not that big a deal, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Looking forward to seeing if the trend changes this month!  I haven't had a chance to review the data with open office.  I've been too bust @ work preparing for my vacation.

Ciao!

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 15, 2012, 10:37:53 PM

updated!

--> see first post! Shocked
RaggedMonk

Activity: 308

View Profile
April 16, 2012, 08:56:05 PM

Awesome!  Always reassuring to see growth  Smiley
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 19, 2012, 02:49:09 PM

updated

--> OP  Grin
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 12:29:18 AM

I wonder if merchants could be convinced to contribute to this project themselves. They would have to respond to an email once a month to verify they are still in business or something. Also, maybe they would be willing to fill out a poll asking how much business (roughly) they do each month.
Spekulatius (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 20, 2012, 12:41:56 AM

whoa! That sounds like alot of work Shocked
more work than I can handle. Maybe some one wants to step in..?  Grin
mayyyybeeeeee...Huh? Huh
ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2012, 02:08:05 AM

I wonder if merchants could be convinced to contribute to this project themselves. They would have to respond to an email once a month to verify they are still in business or something. Also, maybe they would be willing to fill out a poll asking how much business (roughly) they do each month.

What I do for merchants listed on my Shire Silver site is have them pay $1/month. If they decide to no longer participate, they have an incentive to update that status. It might be a trivial amount, but it does help ensure only those who are serious in acceptance are listed. Perhaps a satoshi/month or so might work for this.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: