Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:56:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu won't install when 5970 is in the slot  (Read 1871 times)
Mahkul (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 05:11:49 PM

I just got myself two 5970s. I put one of them into the motherboard (ASUS P5GC-1333) and tried to install Ubuntu from the CD, but it only gets past the booting message "Loading ISOLINUX" then the screen changes to Ubuntu splash screen (the one with those "progress dots") and stays like that forever. I tried with both cards - and the result is the same. If I take the card out and use the motherboard's in-built graphics card the problem goes away and the installation goes past that point. Any thoughts?

EDIT: If I install Ubuntu while using my built-in card (but keeping the 5970 in the slot) will I still be able to use it for mining (if I manage to install the drivers later) - or does it have to be the main graphics adapter on the OS?

Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Raulo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 05:31:51 PM

I had a similar problem with my dual 5970 installation (but in contrast to your problem, it worked fine with a single card). It turned out to be ATI Catalyst bug and upgrading to 10.12 solved the problems.

Could you try to log into console while booting? Ctrl-ALT-F1 should give a login screen. You may also try installing openssh-server and login remotely (actually I had to do this way because console did not work) but it maybe hard when there is no full system. 

You may indeed try installing the system with one card and try installing the drivers later. There is also possibility of a motherboard-card conflict. Does it work with Windows?

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 05:36:37 PM

I had a similar problem with my dual 5970 installation (but in contrast to your problem, it worked fine with a single card). It turned out to be ATI Catalyst bug and upgrading to 10.12 solved the problems.

Could you try to log into console while booting? Ctrl-ALT-F1 should give a login screen. You may also try installing openssh-server and login remotely (actually I had to do this way because console did not work) but it maybe hard when there is no full system. 

You may indeed try installing the system with one card and try installing the drivers later. There is also possibility of a motherboard-card conflict. Does it work with Windows?

You again. Wink Thanks for the quick response.

I am actually installing using the in-built graphics card and am going to try and install the 5970 later. Do you think this will work?
Raulo

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2011, 06:44:28 PM

I am actually installing using the in-built graphics card and am going to try and install the 5970 later. Do you think this will work?

Hopefully. But this is rather strange because Ubuntu does not use the Catalyst drivers during installation and this is a problem in open source drivers (or hardware). Maybe after installing the complete system and the Catalyst drivers everything will be OK but who knows. Anyway, you will need at least access to console to install the drivers.

1HAoJag4C3XtAmQJAhE9FTAAJWFcrvpdLM
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 11:02:52 AM

The card works fine under Windows. I am going to install Ubuntu using the standard graphics card and then try to install Ati CCC. Will let you know how I got on.
Mahkul (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2011, 03:59:05 PM

Just to confirm that I was able to install Ubuntu using the built-in card (the motherboard model is: ASUS MZNPV-VN). Then I had to manually install ATI drivers in order to use the 5970. The same problem occured on ASUS P5GC-MX/1333 motherboard (Ubuntu installer would not boot when the monitor was connected to the 5970). Hopefullly someone will find this helpful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: