Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:27:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Did anyone's technical analysis correctly call the drop from $13 to $5.75?  (Read 2420 times)
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:18:43 PM

If enough people believe a particular pattern produces a predictable pattern, then they will collectively make it happen. If due to publicly visible tea leaves I believe the price will drop, then I will sell as will many others who are also watching the same tea leaves. Whether or not the tea leaves have any correlation to the asset is irrelevant if the tea leaves influence behavior and behavior IS the market. You may choose to bet against the herd, but you would be ill advised to ignore the herd nor ignore what the herd is watching.

Poker is also a game of chance. But statistics and psychology help not a little.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
defxor

Activity: 530
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:22:29 PM

Poker is also a game of chance. But statistics and psychology help not a little.

I agree. A quick course in Psychology beats everything ever written on TA.

(That's why I suggested Animal Spirits, which is all about psychology and herd mentality in economics)

A Random Walk .. is the book that conclusively proves TA has no predictive power.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:30:01 PM

If enough people believe a particular pattern produces a predictable pattern, then they will collectively make it happen. If due to publicly visible tea leaves I believe the price will drop, then I will sell as will many others who are also watching the same tea leaves. Whether or not the tea leaves have any correlation to the asset is irrelevant if the tea leaves influence behavior and behavior IS the market. You may choose to bet against the herd, but you would be ill advised to ignore the herd nor ignore what the herd is watching.

The above is quite correct, with two caveats:

1) Collective behaviour will take you so far, but past that point there are forces that are much stronger.

2) There are still hidden variables in this game. In poker, you at least know how many cards in a deck... things like the mybitcoin fiasco (and bitomat, and mtgox a few weeks back, and so on) are the equivalent of adding two extra aces to the deck... or removing two, depending on which side you're on.

In the case of bitcoin, the hacks have set the whole experiment back quite a bit. But it will still move in the direction it would have moved without them. And perhaps, like a relationship that was destined to fail, it's better that these events happened now, early on in bitcoin's history, as opposed to three or four years from now.
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 07:48:26 PM

I can almost bet that much more serious events will happen in the 3-4 years timeframe. The higher the stakes in the BTC project, the more sophisticated attacks will become. Right now, the problems we had were mostly caused by stupidity, and no serious attempts to disrupt the network have been done. We have seen nothing yet.

i am satoshi
symbian

Activity: 266
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 11:11:34 PM

Before last drop here was calculated long-term stable price of BTC.
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 11:26:21 PM

Right now, the problems we had were mostly caused by stupidity, and no serious attempts to disrupt the network have been done.

Is this fact or opinion?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
August 09, 2011, 04:41:25 AM

I did via non-technical analysis https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34978.0

And we're back up to nearly 8 again

Here's more of my non-technical analysis: plateau at 4-5$ USD by the middle to end of next week.

We'll see.  I hope you're right since it'd be nice to pick some more up.

Mousepotato
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: