Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:15:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [The Economist] The Bitcoin Bubble  (Read 3726 times)
OleOle (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:24:23 PM

Worth a read:

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21590901-it-looks-overvalued-even-if-digital-currency-crashes-others-will-follow-bitcoin?fsrc=nlw

Enjoy.

Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eternaluniverse

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:33:38 PM

as more people get into crypto currency the market cap will rise and so will price, same thing will happen to litecoin if bitcoin does fall off but I don't see that happening. I see that all alt coins will go up and value and I see them coming and going floating in orbit around bitcoin.
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:38:07 PM

Because the price of the Bitcoin is so high at this moment, people who want to be part of this tend to buy cheaper Altcoins in stead I think.

I think that caused the huge rise of the LTC, but I think it's stabelizing a bit now.

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
Kreigyr

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:40:13 PM

Because the price of the Bitcoin is so high at this moment, people who want to be part of this tend to buy cheaper Altcoins in stead I think.

I think that caused the huge rise of the LTC, but I think it's stabelizing a bit now.

I'm convinced most of the rise of altcoins is coming from the somehow more accessible dopamine high.

Don007
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:44:22 PM

Well, I think it's because it's a hype now. And the Bitcoin itself is too expensive to start in for most of the people, that's why they try altcoins.

And I don't blame them; there's also a golden future for most of them!

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

Kreigyr

Activity: 75

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:48:18 PM

Well, I think it's because it's a hype now. And the Bitcoin itself is too expensive to start in for most of the people, that's why they try altcoins.

And I don't blame them; there's also a golden future for most of them!

Oh, yes; I also see some future in altcoins, just certainly not the same as Bitcoin's, necessarily. You bring up one of the hardest conceptions to disspell: For pretty obvious reasons, people just getting in seem convinced Bitcoins are indivisible, and I'm regularly told that it's "too high" and they "can't put in that much".

crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:50:54 PM

Of course this is a bubble, but what part of the bubble are we in? The top? Where bitcoin will never be worth more then $1000? Does that really sound so reasonable considering the developments happening in Bitcoin? Or are we at the bottom of a much bigger bubble?

You can get out whenever you want- I would rather ride the pop at $10,000 then $1,000.

more or less retired.
OleOle (OP)

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:00:19 PM

It's very interesting, that's for sure. As a trader, I'm looking for the price to weaken, for people who bought in high to get crueled and dump the unit as that's how it seems to go in most bubble-type situations. I'm trying to figure out where the main support might be if we see a sharp sell-off.

Curious how The Economist article seemed quite pessimistic on price through most of the article then softened their stance at the end saying, "it might be time to sell." Maybe they didn't want to appear too one-sided in their views and were holding back on screaming from the rooftops, "Sell! Sell!! SELL!!!" Cheesy

eternaluniverse

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:04:16 PM

It's very interesting, that's for sure. As a trader, I'm looking for the price to weaken, for people who bought in high to get crueled and dump the unit as that's how it seems to go in most bubble-type situations. I'm trying to figure out where the main support might be if we see a sharp sell-off.

Curious how The Economist article seemed quite pessimistic on price through most of the article then softened their stance at the end saying, "it might be time to sell." Maybe they didn't want to appear too one-sided in their views and were holding back on screaming from the rooftops, "Sell! Sell!! SELL!!!" Cheesy

Or maybe they are just covering their bases and will say later: "oh we said it might be time to sell" even though most of the article seems like it is telling people to sell their btc.
Odrec

Activity: 112

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:04:55 PM

Does this mean that we should start panicking now?

Don007
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:06:28 PM

Hehehe. It's true, $1000 is a lot of money for most of us. But most of the Bitcoin holders saw what the price did earlier, and expect even more. Humans are greedy, and is going to cause a lot of trouble when the bubble pops and people loose much money.  

The only thing they could think about then is 'Why was I so dumb not to sell it at $1000'..         I'm a bit in between with my view, sell some (part of) Bitcoins and do something fun with that, but keep a larger part for the future.

eternaluniverse

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:07:48 PM

If anything, the panic will make a lot of people whom have the balls to stay in a lot of money. I'm waiting for the next big price drop to buy some more coins. You should't invest in bitcoins with money you have a problem losing obviously though.
oda.krell
Legendary

Activity: 1470

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:10:31 PM

Kind of disappointing, coming from the Economist. It's a good paper, in my opinion, on most topics, but that's a pretty pedestrian analysis of Bitcoin.

Not sure which Bitcoin wallet you should use? Get Electrum!
Electrum is an open-source lightweight client: fast, user friendly, and 100% secure.
Download the source or executables for Windows/OSX/Linux/Android from, and only from, the official Electrum homepage.
4mherewego

Activity: 220

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:13:45 PM

Kind of disappointing, coming from the Economist. It's a good paper, in my opinion, on most topics, but that's a pretty pedestrian analysis of Bitcoin.

For me TE is just Keynesian spam and tldr version of Time magazine without the nice pictures. Imo they should start with an edition for adults. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TT81o4hL4c
pera

Merit: 261

­バカ

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:19:56 PM

Ben Bernanke, chairman of the Federal Reserve, told a Senate committee on virtual currencies that the idea “may hold long-term promise”.
I keep reading this misleading quote again and again, it's getting me mad! xD
Bernanke didn't say that he thinks that Bitcoin nor other virtual currencies “may hold long-term promise”, he was quoting someone who said that and many other things back in 1995.

Fucking stupid press, why don't they read the original source instead of coping headlines from other newspapers Tongue

Also I'm pretty sure he knows about the assassination market very well... I really doubt he had any kind of appreciation on Bitcoin.

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
pera

Merit: 261

­バカ

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:23:40 PM

The Economist always publish crappy articles about Bitcoin.

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!
Don007
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:23:44 PM

<. . . > You should't invest in bitcoins with money you have a problem losing obviously though.

That's really smart, but not all humans are that smart. Regarding history, there were a lot of people even taking loans to invest in some high risk investments.. And many of them failed.

zubelutte

Activity: 129

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:33:11 PM

The only thing they could think about then is 'Why was I so dumb not to sell it at $1000'..         I'm a bit in between with my view, sell some (part of) Bitcoins and do something fun with that, but keep a larger part for the future.

No big deal of not selling at $1000+ even if the price crashes...you will have oportunity to sell at $1000+ next time during next year...
Don007
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:37:13 PM

I share your vision, but it's still unsure. No one can predict the future Wink.

I think the price of the Bitcoin keeps rising the following years, $2000 soon isn't too far away in my opinon.

OleOle (OP)

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:44:48 PM

I share your vision, but it's still unsure. No one can predict the future Wink.

I think the price of the Bitcoin keeps rising the following years, $2000 soon isn't too far away in my opinon.

Yes, no-one can predict the future, that is for sure.

I'm waiting to hear that whistling sound as the price drops like a stone Cheesy

I'll be happy to buy in lower and hear the sob stories of people who bought in above $1000 and who sold out on the way down... only to hear them moan again as the price appreciates past $1000 again. It's a tough life for some folks Wink

-----

Key point: wait for the whistling sound Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: