Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:50:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mastercoin: nominations for full-time developers  (Read 1116 times)
bitexch (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 09:35:48 PM
Last edit: November 28, 2013, 11:08:32 PM by bitexch

This is a place for nominating and discussing which full-time developers we should hire for the Mastercoin project. I think the community is agreed that this is a priority, and that we have the financial means to compensate full-time developers with approriate salaries - let's get to it!

Anyone who wants to nominate a developer should provide an explanation as to why she's a good fit, and also provide some examples of her code, experience etc. (a link to a Github page is good). There should be ongoing discussions about what languages we might want developers to write in, what kind of backgrounds we would like them to have, how many full-time developers we need, how many hours we would like them to commit, what kind of salaries are reasonable, and what ever else seems pertinent.

Our current developers' work has been great, but unfortunately we don't have a team that can devote itself to Mastercoin full-time. Everyday that we don't have full-time developers, Mastercoin's first-mover advantage becomes less and less relevant.

The board hasn't endorsed the decision to hire full-time developers, and therefore has not endorsed this thread. I encourage whoever is in favor of hiring full-time developers to help convince the board that it is the right thing to do, and to refer them here.

Nominations are not limited to developers who are currently working on Mastercoin; members of the community are urged to nominate anyone they think would be a good fit and addition to the Mastercoin project.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Faraday

Activity: 240
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:08:51 PM

Who are the candidates? It would be good to have a list of people willing to do the job rather than just voting for people who may not even be wanting the position. (I say this as it seems some of the current developers already have full time jobs and are not looking for full-time positions.)
bitexch (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:19:39 PM
Last edit: November 28, 2013, 10:34:55 PM by bitexch

Who are the candidates? It would be good to have a list of people willing to do the job rather than just voting for people who may not even be wanting the position. (I say this as it seems some of the current developers already have full time jobs and are not looking for full-time positions.)

The point of this thread is for members of the Mastercoin community to nominate candidates they would like to see developing Mastercoin *full-time*. The list of possible candidates therefore is not limited to those people who are already working on Mastercoin. If a member of the community nominates a candidate, it should be taken for granted that the candidate may be a good fit, e.g. perhaps has experience working on Bitcoin and is interested in working on extensions of the protocol.
Patel
Legendary

Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2013, 11:02:47 PM

dacoinminster (of course)
Tachikoma
ripper234
zathras
Ola

I vote they should be given great job/salary offers which they would not refuse. Based on what I have been lurking and reading over the past months, these guys seem to be great devs

Sorry if I forgot anyone, these are just the first that come to mind

I think this should be done pretty quickly so they can get started.
bitexch (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:04:59 PM

Tachikoma
ripper234
zathras
Ola

I vote they should be given great job/salary offers which they would not refuse. Based on what I have been lurking and reading over the past months, these guys seem to be great devs

Thank you for the nominations! I want to reiterate, though, that nominations should not be limited to those who are already involved with Mastercoin. If there are programmers who you think would be a good fit for Mastercoin and are not already working on it, you should feel free to nominate them, as well!
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 11:25:35 PM
Last edit: November 28, 2013, 11:46:49 PM by Luckybit

This is a place for nominating and discussing which full-time developers we should hire for the Mastercoin project. I think the community is agreed that this is a priority, and that we have the financial means to compensate full-time developers with approriate salaries - let's get to it!

Anyone who wants to nominate a developer should provide an explanation as to why she's a good fit, and also provide some examples of her code, experience etc. (a link to a Github page is good). There should be ongoing discussions about what languages we might want developers to write in, what kind of backgrounds we would like them to have, how many full-time developers we need, how many hours we would like them to commit, what kind of salaries are reasonable, and what ever else seems pertinent.

Our current developers' work has been great, but unfortunately we don't have a team that can devote itself to Mastercoin full-time. Everyday that we don't have full-time developers, Mastercoin's first-mover advantage becomes less and less relevant.

The board hasn't endorsed the decision to hire full-time developers, and therefore has not endorsed this thread. I encourage whoever is in favor of hiring full-time developers to help convince the board that it is the right thing to do, and to refer them here.

Nominations are not limited to developers who are currently working on Mastercoin; members of the community are urged to nominate anyone they think would be a good fit and addition to the Mastercoin project.

What matters to me in my opinion is that the developers be trusted. Nothing is more important than to be able to trust the people writing the code.

The other thing I hope to see is the formation of development teams to focus on specific feature sets. There should be a team focused just on user currencies. A team focused just on the distributed exchange. A team focused just on smart property. And a team which does quality assurance and security auditing.

The security auditing could be done externally and contracted out. The bug testing can be done via contest. The core features should be the focus of the full time developers so that the contest developers can focus on the trivial features or the experimental features.

First we need some structure. Just having a list of names without any teams is kind of ridiculous to me. You need to first come up with some development teams based around solving a particular objective or developing a particular feature set. Once you have that in place then you can try to figure out who might be good for particular features and who could be on different teams.

Like for the distributed exchange you might want certain people but for the user interface you might want a completely different set of people. You might want different people for handling smart property and escrow from the people who are working on CFDs. Small teams focused on particular goals and feature sets is how you get things done. Individuals being picked off a list and being told to "develop" is not how you develop anything.

Contests have structure but only work to a point. Contests can allow you to hack a project together but for really well written easily followed code you need someone who has a software design approach in the team leader position. That person shouldn't just be looking to implement the feature with some sort of hack as was done with Bitcoin but should be trying to do it in the way which is best for extensibility, modularity, and code abstraction so that future protocols can be built on top, and so that if necessary Bitcoin can be swapped out and so on. This requires people in design roles who can discuss which design approach is best. So whoever is team leader for developing smart property, they are going to have to think seriously about how to design it so that it remains trustless, decentralized, secure, private, scalable, extensible (future proof), and modular.

If anything is developed which involves cryptography then you'll have to use process isolation for example, or you may have to find someone who understands how to work with the trusted platform module (for use in savings wallets). Smart property for instance will not be an easy feature to implement in my opinion unless it's in the most simple form but the design is critical and getting it right is critical.
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 01:07:02 AM

Tachikoma
ripper234
zathras
Ola

I will not take any salary.
I vote that dacoinminster will not be offered any salary as well.

We are already rich guys. If you need more security, convert some of the MSC to BTC and USD.
There is no reason whatsoever why me or dacoinminster would need to be paid.

I'm for hiring Tachikoma and Zathras as our two Lead Devs (but I'm not against hearing others who want to apply for these positions).

What position is Ola running for?
We are currently working on hiring a few other people, and I haven't been paying a lot of attention to this thread lately.
I intend to focus my attention on closing the open threads I have, and then shift my focus to closing the Dev Hire.

If any of the other board members has any attention to spare, I would appreciate you leading the hire of the two Lead Devs.

I'll follow up on this thread a bit later ... I'm still human and need to sleep, even if only 4-5 hours a night.

ttyl!

FYI as you noticed I don't have a lot of attention to bitcointalk right now. If you need my urgent attention on an important matter, please email me at ron@mastercoin.org (but only if it's urgent and one of the others can't help you! help me help you).

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
Ola

Activity: 311

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 04:51:22 AM

Wow wow, take it easy...I am a dev but not as great as the aforementioned guys above. I am not advocating myself as a developer because I would simply slow down the project. Plus I am currently working on 3 different projects at the moment, one of which I want to incorporate mastercoin thus my frustration with the whole management. What I am advocating is the removal of every resistance to motivate the devs through salaries and other incentives..I do not know why we have to deal with this kind of resistance on such a great project. In place of my name you should put rbdrbd  He is developing a feature to mastercoin to make outside development accessible to devs like me and this is greatly needed also!!!

Ron please get some sleep. You cannot give your best if you don't take care of yourself.

Nxter,Bitcoiner,Ether highlevel developer working to improve the world.
zbx

Activity: 64

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 02:56:12 PM

I suggest that we ask maaku if he’d get on board. maaku is an experienced Bitcoin developer, who has been (?) working an a project somewhat similar to Mastercoin (Freimarkets), but which didn't get crowd‐funded as he hoped. maaku has been earning money from community donations, etc., and I expect that he'd strongly consider filling a salaried position as a Mastercoin developer. See his Github account.

We also might consider Vitalik Buterin (who wrote Pybitcointools and has demonstrated in interest in Mastercoin) and/or one/more of the other Dark Wallet devs—that project has only raised about $100k, so they can't all be working on it full-time.

In any case, we do need to be looking outside of the Mastercoin project for developers: Tachikoma and zathras have repeatedly stated that they're not for hire (though I would support hiring Bitoy, grazcoin and/or rbdrbd); we have thousands of bitcoins in the bank and a very cool project—we shouldn't be begging for time commitments.
rbdrbd

Activity: 462

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:37:15 PM

I suggest that we ask maaku if he’d get on board. maaku is an experienced Bitcoin developer, who has been (?) working an a project somewhat similar to Mastercoin (Freimarkets), but which didn't get crowd‐funded as he hoped. maaku has been earning money from community donations, etc., and I expect that he'd strongly consider filling a salaried position as a Mastercoin developer. See his Github account.

We also might consider Vitalik Buterin (who wrote Pybitcointools and has demonstrated in interest in Mastercoin) and/or one/more of the other Dark Wallet devs—that project has only raised about $100k, so they can't all be working on it full-time.

In any case, we do need to be looking outside of the Mastercoin project for developers: Tachikoma and zathras have repeatedly stated that they're not for hire (though I would support hiring Bitoy, grazcoin and/or rbdrbd); we have thousands of bitcoins in the bank and a very cool project—we shouldn't be begging for time commitments.

I can't commit to running as a full time dev for obvious reasons (have my own business), and I'm not sure that proposal I put out about running a dev team out of my company to bootstrap things still is open (too much risk for me based on what I'm seeing, plus I don't think we could build the consensus for it). However, if I can see enough turn around in this project, I'd be happy to continue masterdaemon development, as well as put my name in the hat for a board seat.
nanobit

Activity: 77

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 11:20:32 PM

I can't commit to running as a full time dev for obvious reasons (have my own business), and I'm not sure that proposal I put out about running a dev team out of my company to bootstrap things still is open (too much risk for me based on what I'm seeing, plus I don't think we could build the consensus for it). However, if I can see enough turn around in this project, I'd be happy to continue masterdaemon development, as well as put my name in the hat for a board seat.

Can you elaborate on what kind of risks do you mean you're seeing?
ninjaboon
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
December 04, 2013, 07:39:56 AM

Tachikoma
ripper234
zathras
Ola

I think this should be done pretty quickly so they can get started.

second that.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: