Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:20:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Assistance required regarding overheating computer and wallet syncing  (Read 1160 times)
Primrose (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:03:57 PM

Hi everyone

I have a litecoin wallet, and a locked bitcoin wallet (lost passphrase)
My computer keeps overheating, every time I open a wallet to sync it, so, none of them are fully synced.

I wanted to buy some more fractions of bitcoins tonight, and install a fresh new wallet, (this time remembering the passphrase and recording it)

As my computer keeps switching itself off, I think the computer needs cleaning out, before I install a new wallet.
I just watched a tutorial video, on how to clean out a toshiba satellite, my laptop, but it looks so complicated, I am not confident enough to do it.

My question is this, if I cannot manage to sync my wallets, will my litecoins, locked bitcoins, and any I try to buy tonight, be safe

Thanks in advance.
/dev/null

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:07:39 PM

1. You can try some wallet recovery service to get your coins back safely.
2. Backup both of your wallets in seperate folders (wallet.dat) before formatting/cleaning your pc.
3. For bitcoins use electrum wallet, it doesnt ask you to download blockchain.

Dountoun

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:16:00 PM

Maby you need to clean your computer.

Its never ok when a computer overheats.

Probably to much dust or the cpu cooler needs a check.

Primrose (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2013, 10:32:28 PM

Maby you need to clean your computer.

Its never ok when a computer overheats.

Probably to much dust or the cpu cooler needs a check.

Yes, I do, but I am not skilled enough to take it apart and clean it myself, because I don't know what I am doing, and am frightened that I won't be able to put it back together again.

Instead of installing another qt wallet, can I not just install a different kind of wallet, that does not take up as much memory as qt?

Thanks

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1000

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 12:28:37 AM

ah, i remember when i picked up my datavac duster and it blew out clouds of dust from my CPU and especially out of my PSU (there was some godawful amount of dust in that mofo).  it also has these nifty attachments that amongst other things do a wonderful job of blasting out food particles that are stuck in your keyboard

i must say that I would greatly fear it if my CPU was overheating from DL'ing the blockchain
Primrose (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 02:14:35 AM

ah, i remember when i picked up my datavac duster and it blew out clouds of dust from my CPU and especially out of my PSU (there was some godawful amount of dust in that mofo).  it also has these nifty attachments that amongst other things do a wonderful job of blasting out food particles that are stuck in your keyboard

i must say that I would greatly fear it if my CPU was overheating from DL'ing the blockchain
Oh, no, your fear concerns me.
I will give my computer a hoover tomorrow while I wait to find someone who can fix it. It's too late tonight and I live above people so I would not want to disturb them with my hoovering.

Many thanks

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:02:28 AM

You can throttle the cpu, that's what I do in my laptop.

Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:23:06 AM

If the shutdowns aren't a direct result of heat, it could be a RAM module or hard drive failure (both of these are cheap & easy fixes, though), especially if the components are regularly running hot.

So long as you have the wallet file on the hard drive (and I wouldn't trust that hard drive until the problem's figured out) and it's created the priv-pub key to give you an address to receive at, there's no risk in sending coins to those addresses.
Primrose (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:02:42 AM

If the shutdowns aren't a direct result of heat, it could be a RAM module or hard drive failure (both of these are cheap & easy fixes, though), especially if the components are regularly running hot.

So long as you have the wallet file on the hard drive (and I wouldn't trust that hard drive until the problem's figured out) and it's created the priv-pub key to give you an address to receive at, there's no risk in sending coins to those addresses.
Hi Kluge

The shut downs have stopped now that I have got a technician to strip down the machine and give it a good clean.
I appreciate your help though. Smiley
Primrose (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:42:29 PM
Last edit: November 30, 2013, 02:02:15 PM by Primrose

Hello

My btc wallet is still in the process of syncing.
It's nearly done, just over 2k to get through.

Trouble is, it keeps stopping syncing.
Then, when I re-launch it, I get the interface without the block info, sometimes.

I had a google about for the answer, but could not really get anywhere.

I restarted and opened the client again, and it starting

Here's a picture of what I get, just to save rambling.

http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/starfish53/media/Image1_zps119958c3.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Thanks
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: