Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 01:42:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What is the most important improvement for bitcoin in order to succeed?  (Voting closed: October 15, 2013, 08:24:55 AM)
Improved User Friendliness - 14 (19.4%)
Improved Wallet Security - 15 (20.8%)
Improved Exchange Trustworthiness - 3 (4.2%)
More Websites Accepting Bitcoin - 19 (26.4%)
More Website Bitcoin Businesses - 3 (4.2%)
A HOT Bitcoin Female Mascot - 14 (19.4%)
Other, Will Post Comments in Thread - 4 (5.6%)
Total Voters: 72

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What does Bitcoin need the most? Wallet Security, Safe Exchanges, User Friendly?  (Read 2007 times)
bitrebel (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:24:55 AM

What do you think is the single most important feature Bitcoin needs to improve it's acceptability?

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:27:22 AM

All of these IMO...
Lets get to work!
Eli

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:30:32 AM

All of these IMO...
Lets get to work!

Aye aye Captain'!
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:40:15 AM

Wallet security. Every idiot should be able to quickly and safely back up his wallet.

Only if we make it possible for everyone to actually use Bitcoin (no third party risk) to store their wealth will confidence be restored.

I’m not sure how we can accomplish it, but encrypted and deterministic wallets would at least remove a lot of hassle, plus a menu item to export your wallet to given location.
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:43:55 AM

Encrypted wallets would defiantly make noobs more confident. That should have been implemented ages ago.

EDIT:Of course people can already do this themselves, it just takes a little bit of technical ability.

Use Linux Coin here.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=7374.0

Follow instructions here
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30595.0
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:45:02 AM

Encrypted wallets would defiantly make noobs more confident. That should have been implemented ages ago.

So simple, yet so  important.

Simply, it should not be so easy to steal and unload the wallet file. That's elementary.

bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:51:34 AM

Bitcoincheerleaders.com anyone?

Before I grab it?

1.) Teach a hot girl about bitcoin...
2.) Teach her how to get them...
3.) Teach her how to spend them...
4.) Teach her how to reward you for teaching her...
..., ..., ...
5.) Teach her to make youtube videos promoting bitcoins...
Bank on your bitcoin investment when the price climbs!?!?

Get it before I do!

$5 entrance fee for girls to join contest...
Top winning girl get's bitcoins daily for sponsoring bitcoins on youtube videos...
Backend builds bitcoins savings from video referral links.

BitcoinNotify.com

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 09:40:23 AM

What do you think is the single most important feature Bitcoin needs to improve it's acceptability?

Much more merchants accepting Bitcoins for "real" commodities.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 09:48:07 AM

Agreed. I think the single most important thing now is making it easy for merchants to accept Bitcoins. So that they can integrate it into their sites / webshops in an elegant way without knowing anything about the details of the system.

Also this should be documented very well. Not the current spread-around bits and pieces of information, that's just too much bother for a busy vendor.

All of these IMO...
Lets get to work!
+1. Yes people, please go to work on something, instead of creating a zillion thread about what bitcoin needs the most. Be a hero, just build it! Smiley

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 10:04:27 AM

Agreed. I think the single most important thing now is making it easy for merchants to accept Bitcoins. So that they can integrate it into their sites / webshops in an elegant way without knowing anything about the details of the system.

Also this should be documented very well. Not the current spread-around bits and pieces of information, that's just too much bother for a busy vendor.

All of these IMO...
Lets get to work!
+1. Yes people, please go to work on something, instead of creating a zillion thread about what bitcoin needs the most. Be a hero, just build it! Smiley

I cannot personally build anything, technically. I have experience in politics, so I understand bitcoin.
I understand psychology and monetary systems, banking and economics.

I have proposed in another thread that got zero replies, but I will propose again....

How is Bitcoin supposed to integrated into a monetary system who's accounting goes by the dollar?
In other words, for insurance companies to back a company they have to assume a limited amount of risk. How can an insurance company, backed naturally by banking institutions, insure a company who's risk includes bitcoins, which fluctuate rapidly by the day and which is severely prone to hack attacks and theft, as it currently stands, and which is in direct competition to the banking cartels, which own the insurance companies??

Put more succinctly, how can a company account for bitcoins on it's books, when it must convert that denomination to US dollars immediately in order ti insure against loss? There will always be an exchange in the company's accounting, that they are dealing with.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 10:15:45 AM

I cannot personally build anything, technically. I have experience in politics, so I understand bitcoin.
I understand psychology and monetary systems, banking and economics.
Then you could invest in someone to do it and/or lead the effort Smiley Just proposing ideas won't get you far, there are stacks and stacks of proposals and good ideas throughout the forums. But without someone to implement them, they don't help.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
flug

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 07:11:47 PM

I bet that if a trusted entity formed a Bitcoin bank where you could deposit your bitcoins for safe keeping and they were guaranteed/insured for a fee, Bitcoin would go to the next level.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:02:10 PM

I bet that if a trusted entity formed a Bitcoin bank where you could deposit your bitcoins for safe keeping and they were guaranteed/insured for a fee, Bitcoin would go to the next level.

What sort of trusted entity do you propose? I can hardly trust $BANK with my USD.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
flug

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 09:07:49 PM

What sort of trusted entity do you propose? I can hardly trust $BANK with my USD.

I've had my GBP salary paid into my bank for year after year without problem. Political/economic issues aside, I've never been worried about my GBP being hacked. That's what we need for the Bitcoin economy to mature. I'd never have my salary paid in bitcoins and sent to anywhere on the web right now, and especially not to my Windows laptop.
max in montreal

Activity: 504

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 09:36:50 PM

How does someone who sells products or provide services keep a proper price list? About a monthing ago bitcoins were 30$. How often does someone have to change their price list? I think this is the biggest problem.

As for security, noobs should realize that this is real money. They should also consider somehow securing their computer to avoid trojans/viruses and other security issues. Someone should create a starter post with steps to sucessfully do this, and get it stickied...But then again someone got 500000$ worth of coins stolen and he was not a newbie.

There is only so much hand holding you can do, but that will not help everyone.

We learn through our mistakes and by searching the forum. Some people will not be able to figure it out themselves, even if we hold their hands. This is a lot more complicated than setting a VCR to record a show for you when you are not home...and lots of people could not understand that concept either.
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 12:18:21 AM

I think the problem could have more to do with the fact that bitcoin fans would rather have a hot female bitcoin mascot than either a safe wallet, safe exchanges or user friendliness.  Wink

25.7% of respondents have voted for this necessity. lol

error

Activity: 588

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 03:19:32 AM

I've had my GBP salary paid into my bank for year after year without problem. Political/economic issues aside, I've never been worried about my GBP being hacked. That's what we need for the Bitcoin economy to mature. I'd never have my salary paid in bitcoins and sent to anywhere on the web right now, and especially not to my Windows laptop.

And I've never had to worry about my bitcoins being hacked. But I have to worry constantly about those political/economic issues you are willing to set aside that threaten my USD.

This doesn't mean that I think there's no need for improvement in security. I think all of the above need work, and I'm actively working on more than one of those myself.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
bitrebel (OP)

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 05:21:15 AM

Why would any Insurance company, which are all owned by the banks, ever insure a bitcoin company?
I cannot see that happening.
The British Pound is tied into the IMF and therefore it's a debt based fiat currency as well. England is just as screwed as everyone else.

nmat

Activity: 602
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 05:30:15 AM

I think the problem could have more to do with the fact that bitcoin fans would rather have a hot female bitcoin mascot than either a safe wallet, safe exchanges or user friendliness.  Wink

This is true
flug

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 02:42:10 PM

Why would any Insurance company, which are all owned by the banks, ever insure a bitcoin company?
I cannot see that happening.
The British Pound is tied into the IMF and therefore it's a debt based fiat currency as well. England is just as screwed as everyone else.

I don't how it would be done, and by whom, or even if it's feasible. I'm saying that if it could be done (and feel free to get creative here), it would give Bitcoin  huge boost.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: