Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:43:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Micropayments and scalability  (Read 802 times)
max (OP)

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 08:54:51 AM

I know Bitcoin is not designed for micropayments. But also knowing almost instant secure transactions are possible with Bitcoin I wonder what would happen to Bitcoin network if people would start using bitcoins for micropayments? Could it still scale or would it become unusable? Maybe transaction fees would raise accordingly and made it unusable for micropayments?
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fennec

Activity: 76
Merit: 87

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2011, 11:40:23 AM

If I remember correctly, fees are only necessary to speed up payments, which would mean fees won't eliminate micropayments (though they might not be fast).

I'd also like to know about Bitcoin's scalability in this sense. What's stopping someone from flooding the network with a huge number of micropayments?

Preev – simple Bitcoin converter with live exchange rates
BitcoinBug

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 03:03:19 PM

As Bitcoin scales and matures, fees will take dominant role. I have a feeling fees in the range of 5 dollar cents will be required for successful transactions, but that too will be part of supply-demand. Greater demand, higher transactions fees. And microtransactions would definitely raise demand. I believe Bitcoin will rule the microtransaction world for the next year or two, but later not so much. Maybe some hybrid centralized token system will take its place.
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
August 07, 2011, 03:13:53 PM

As Bitcoin scales and matures, fees will take dominant role. I have a feeling fees in the range of 5 dollar cents will be required for successful transactions, but that too will be part of supply-demand. Greater demand, higher transactions fees. And microtransactions would definitely raise demand. I believe Bitcoin will rule the microtransaction world for the next year or two, but later not so much. Maybe some hybrid centralized token system will take its place.
Indeed. It depends on your definition of "microtransaction". Some people call transactions of $1..$5 "microtransactions" (for example, to pay for ingame items). For those, bitcoin is very useful, and will remain useful for a long time. The fee wil be way less than what Paypal - or god forbid, SMS providers - charge.

But for really very small amounts (<$0.10), it is not well-suited and that will become even worse as volume ramps up.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: