Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 05:07:42 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: nio Card - The world's first Bitcoin payment smartcard on Kickstarter  (Read 2276 times)
No_2 (OP)

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:35:25 AM

Being involved in helping a number of UK Bitcoin start-ups I've been approached by bluenio about their nio Card.

They are producing a hardware wallet. I chatted through an overview of the design with one of the developers and it seems a pretty good design and sensible about the cryptographic aspect of doing transactions and exposing private keys.

They are running a kickstarter here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1459210729/nio-card-a-smart-card-which-upgrades-your-phone-an

If you interested please take a look and show your support.

ZeWaren

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

There be komodo dragons

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 11:40:41 AM

I guess a better support of HCE with Android 4.4 will allow tons of bitcoin related NFC related apps and ideas.

Ceci n'est pas une signature.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 12:24:50 PM

From a cursory glance, I don't like this design at all.  It's too complicated.  It's too big.  It's too expensive.  Is it waterproof?  Why does it require a smartphone to use?  Why does it need USB and bluetooth?  Why does it need 2 gigs of memory and a battery?  What's the advantage?  Is this thing a Bitcoin payment card or a child tracking device?  Jesus, choose one.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 12:35:48 PM

It's cool, but it's not the "worlds first bitcoin smartcard". Even a brief search here in the forums would show that there have already been bitcoin smartcards. In particular the Elet (or Elnet- I forgot the spelling) which appears to be smaller then the nio card as well. I've held it in person and it's just like a credit card, with a display and everything.

more or less retired.
bitcoinpsftp

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 12:51:07 PM

I'm confused.  I watched the whole video and they didn't mention bitcoin even one time.  All they talked about is how you can recover your smart phone if you've lost it.  Where is the bitcoin pitch?

No_2 (OP)

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 01:59:08 PM

The reference to 'first' was my verbatim copying of their kickstarter title. ( I'm just the messenger Grin ).

Seems to be a suite of utilities and they have managed to use this to build a Bitcoin hardware wallet.

When speaking to Ben, who I believe is the lead developer there, he said they are about to set up their website and services to allow you to pay them in Bitcoin.
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 03:10:40 PM

I'm confused.  I watched the whole video and they didn't mention bitcoin even one time.  All they talked about is how you can recover your smart phone if you've lost it.  Where is the bitcoin pitch?

I think what they are doing is repurposing a device they already made for bitcoin. Basically it's a computer with NFC, so they figure "why not sign transactions with it?" It's a good idea to be honest.

more or less retired.
zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 03:40:55 PM

From a cursory glance, I don't like this design at all.  It's too complicated.  It's too big.  It's too expensive.  Is it waterproof?  Why does it require a smartphone to use?  Why does it need USB and bluetooth?  Why does it need 2 gigs of memory and a battery?  What's the advantage?  Is this thing a Bitcoin payment card or a child tracking device?  Jesus, choose one.

i actually like the fact it needs both the card AND the smartphone, there's no way a thief can steal both at the same time, and there's no risk of getting skimmed when you lose it.

in order for bitcoin to gain mass adoption as a currency, and not just as an investment, we should all support efforts like this.

bitcoin is currently much too complicated for the average shopper, NFC cards are much easier, and bitcoin and NFC can work very well together.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: