Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 04:30:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: casascius and other physical bitcoins is a fraudulent idea  (Read 5845 times)
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 06:08:15 PM

if you're changing your username and are sticking around for a while, kill two birds with one stone: it's "analyst".

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
mpfrank

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 06:16:52 PM

It's also not good at all. Paper wallets shouldn't look like something wich can be sold bought or exchange. At first... And all this sealings on a paper wallets give the user same feeling as well. You are constantly trying to make a physical bitcoin carrier that looks like an exchangeble things like coins banknote public bond or something that can be given as a present or sold. It is a destructive activity.

Why are you doing that?? And why are you priding of that?

I don't see it as fraudulent, as long as the person receiving it understands the caveats.  The way I see it, it is the responsibility of each individual seller or reseller of physical bitcoins to make sure the buyer understands the relevant security limitations.  If this isn't done, that's not the fault of the original manufacturer of the coins.

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
Realpra

Activity: 815
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 06:22:18 PM

Lol like the MAJORITY of bitcoiners using web wallets are any safer.

Cheap and sexy Bitcoin card/hardware wallet, buy here:
http://BlochsTech.com
hennessyhemp

Activity: 511
Merit: 500

Hempire Loading...

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2013, 08:52:27 PM

if you're changing your username and are sticking around for a while, kill two birds with one stone: it's "analyst".

Lol.  Its current form reminds me of David Cross in Arrested Development...AnalRapist

Please add more BTC here (my son will apprecciate it when he's older): 14WsxbeRcgsSYZyNSRJqEAmB1MKAzHhsCT
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:55:35 PM

Only wish I'd bought one of your coins back when you first announced them as I considered. Ah well...  As to the above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz8aYiH_nRg
StarfishPrime

Activity: 358

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:25:19 AM

The way I looked at it from the start, I imagined something could attract their attention but even then, it would be a win-win for Bitcoin.

I have always believed that any outreach by the government would be impossible without some sort of implicit official endorsement of Bitcoin as being "money" - something that in Sept 2011 when I started this, was little more than a far-off dream.  At that time the world saw Bitcoins the way we today see the euphemistically self-deprecating altcoin called "shitcoin".  I mean, all the news coverage was consistently "Bitcoins are dead", "Bitcoin hacked, value plummets to 0.01", "the rise and fall of Bitcoin", "ponzi scheme collapsed", etc etc.  People couldn't chuck them fast enough.

Now we're at the point where FinCEN wants to bother me...and...drum roll...Bitcoin is officially being considered money.  The original reason I ever started with my coins was to bring positive attention to Bitcoin, and even now that my ability to continue making coins is being put up for question, I can't see how what's happened overall anything less than total victory for Bitcoin.  Even if my legal counsel says "Don't make or sell another Casascius COin ever again in your life"... 2 1/2 years of Casascius Coins = mission accomplished.

That's very true.

I just wonder how the press could possibly illustrate news articles about bitcoin without any Casascius coins Smiley

Maybe you could sell unfunded coins, it can't be against any FinCEN guidelines to sell metal discs with stickers - at least not yet.

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
mpfrank

Activity: 247

Cosmic Cubist

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 02:35:55 AM

Yeah Cas, why not just sell coins with BIP38 encrypted keys and no value loaded, for the cost of manufacture + profit, and let the customer send BTC to their coin's address themselves.  I don't see how anyone could accuse you of being a money transmitter in that case.

If all the sovereign non-cryptocurrencies will eventually collapse from hyperinflation, you can't afford *not* to invest in Bitcoin...  See my blog at http://minetopics.blogspot.com/ .

Donations accepted at:  17twYNyqTiCTM2gJmumkytvhZh4sCVSKNH
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 07:20:01 AM

Someone is already making those encrypted keys. Basically, it's just a QR code engraved and inked on aluminum or steel.

DeepCryptoanalist3 (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:32:08 AM

AHAHA what a witty guy.

I bet that some Chinese guys who read this thread have already decided to mint coins which will look like yours preserve private keys and sell it on ebay. Just to satisfy the demand on this fraudulent coins. So many guys here in the thread are arguing that they want to buy one of these. Why not let them buy it, really? Counterfeit of any such physical bitcoin is not even a crime. Light-mindedness should be punished.

Also I can imagine what you will say in situation when one user of your coin or a coin which looks like yours will open it and realise that private key stolen. You will probably say that it's not your coins it is a fake coin and you aren't responsible for this fraud.

Casascius coins helped bring a digital intangible into physical form...one of the best things to hit Bitcoin since the blockchain if you ask me.
And all these fans will continue to praise you. Cool
DeepCryptoanalist3 (OP)

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 08:53:17 AM
Last edit: December 04, 2013, 09:23:52 AM by DeepCryptoanalist3

Yeah Cas, why not just sell coins with BIP38 encrypted keys and no value loaded, for the cost of manufacture + profit, and let the customer send BTC to their coin's address themselves.  I don't see how anyone could accuse you of being a money transmitter in that case.

What is the meaning of a physical coin if you can't sell it or buy it as any other physical money?

Casascius coins helped bring a digital intangible into physical form...one of the best things to hit Bitcoin since the blockchain if you ask me.

Satoshi developed a perfectly secure version of an old money and Casascius let them suffer from the old physical money falsification problem. He just try to compromise a brilliant idea of cryptocurrency. What a good guy he is. Don't you think that he is like a Satoshi evil twin instead?
polarhei

Activity: 462

Firing it up

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 01:40:10 PM

Well, the casascius packs bitcoin as real 18K gold coin (or 23K if serious) even you used the amount stored in order to get double profit.

I think, due to the issue, should delivery these by using paper in order to reduce uncomfortable issues. But no need real metal to pack, just using bank bill like to pack.

hennessyhemp

Activity: 511
Merit: 500

Hempire Loading...

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2013, 07:16:44 AM

There are coin collectors the world over seeking to purchase a piece of brass with a fancy sticker for nearly twice the face value of a commodity-like instrument that didn't exist 10 years ago (which means there are many more people just becoming acquainted).  Will people try to counterfeit Bitcoins, and maybe even Casascius coins?  Does the Pope fart in the woods?

Calling it a fraudulent idea...well that's just naive.

Please add more BTC here (my son will apprecciate it when he's older): 14WsxbeRcgsSYZyNSRJqEAmB1MKAzHhsCT
cAPSLOCK
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 5142

Whimsical Pants

View Profile
December 07, 2013, 11:26:53 PM

You don't have to buy the coins.

They are a novel idea for a physical wallet.

No one has to buy them.

Your argument is invalid.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: