Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:31:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet Mystery  (Read 1021 times)
Scarecrow (OP)

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 04:53:43 PM

Hi.
I have two copies of the same Bitcoin-QT wallet that show a different BTC balance!

These wallets have the same public address but one of them is missing a single 40mBTC receipt. When I put this address into BlockchainINFO, it shows all the six transactions including the missing 40mBTC deposit. I've tried doing a -rescan on the wallet missing the transaction but it didn't help.

How can this be and how do I rectify it?

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.
Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rarkenin

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 06:28:36 PM

If you look in the bottom right, is it still synchronizing with the network? Basically, every single transaction is in a giant chain, and if you only have part of the chain your final total won't be accurate until your client downloads the entire chain.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 07:16:36 PM

Hi.
I have two copies of the same Bitcoin-QT wallet that show a different BTC balance!

These wallets have the same public address but one of them is missing a single 40mBTC receipt. When I put this address into BlockchainINFO, it shows all the six transactions including the missing 40mBTC deposit. I've tried doing a -rescan on the wallet missing the transaction but it didn't help.

How can this be and how do I rectify it?

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04.
Thanks
Overwrite the wallet copy missing the 40mBTC tx by the one including it.
Problem fixed! Smiley

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
Scarecrow (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 07:44:23 PM

Thanks very much to you both for your support.

Rarkenin, The Blockchain on my PC is up to date and both copies of the wallet are fully in sync with it. I swap the wallets in the .bitcoin folder, one includes the 40mBTC transaction and the other does not. The missing transaction is in the middle as there are older and newer transactions.

Kouye, Just discarding the wallet that is missing the 40mBTC transaction may solve the problem but not the Mystery.
Kouye

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 07:57:20 PM

Thanks very much to you both for your support.

Rarkenin, The Blockchain on my PC is up to date and both copies of the wallet are fully in sync with it. I swap the wallets in the .bitcoin folder, one includes the 40mBTC transaction and the other does not. The missing transaction is in the middle as there are older and newer transactions.

Kouye, Just discarding the wallet that is missing the 40mBTC transaction may solve the problem but not the Mystery.

You're not the first one to report a -rescan failure.

The mystery might be explained by the way QT keeps track of balance internally.

He does not care what unspent outputs are used when you send coins, for example, it'll always use your default address to keep track when you send coins (meaning you generally have a negative default address balance, and all your other addresses have a balance as great as the greatest one they ever had). The way QT computes the balance is just local, it basically does not care about matching the blockchain.

Check the result of
listaccounts

Which, I beleive (not 100% sure, though), is used by QT to compute the current total balance

And check the result of
listunspent

By comparing those, you might find where the diffence is.

I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
KieranJones1

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:01:48 PM

Go to your wallet on blockchain.info. Select the "receive money" tab. Click the "Archived" tab.

There will probably be a wallet in there with the "missing" coins. Click the little blue arrow on the right to un-archive that address and restore your Blockchain balance to normal.

Hope that helps!
Scarecrow (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:46:00 PM

That Kouye has opened a whole new window on the Bitcoin world for me, I just tested those commands on the wallet open on this PC and can see what you mean. This is my Windows PC so this wallet contains very little, as the wallet I'm talking about has a lot in it I only load it on my Linux Laptop when its offline and take a peek. I will do this tomorrow. I think you have given me enough information to help find the cause but its not sure because the 40mBTC transaction is actually missing. I really didn't know that command window existed and I will enjoy exploring that.

KieranJones1, I don't quite understand your reply as this is a Bitcoin-Qt wallet. In this case I only used Blockchain.info to check the address concerned  to find all the transactions going to my address. Six transactions exist on the Blockchain, only five transactions exist on one of the wallets, six on the other.

Thanks Y'All
Scarecrow (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:49:19 PM

Further looking at these wallets, the only difference is that the one that is missing the 40mBTC transaction now has my password on it. The copy that has all the transactions including the 40mBTC transaction is older and does not have my password on it.

I assume that I can set the password on the correct older wallet and then delete the wallet that does not show the 40mBTC transaction. Am I right in assuming that passwords exist solely in the wallet.dat file so older, unlocked copies of the same wallet can be used to send coins without entering the password?

Kouye

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:26:20 PM

Further looking at these wallets, the only difference is that the one that is missing the 40mBTC transaction now has my password on it. The copy that has all the transactions including the 40mBTC transaction is older and does not have my password on it.

I assume that I can set the password on the correct older wallet and then delete the wallet that does not show the 40mBTC transaction. Am I right in assuming that passwords exist solely in the wallet.dat file so older, unlocked copies of the same wallet can be used to send coins without entering the password?

From the moment you copied your original wallet, they both began their own separate lives.
Encrypting one using a passphrase won't affect the other.

The only thing they share is a pool of x (with x=100 by default) pre-generated addresses.
This basically means if you click 100 times on "create new address" in each of those, you'll get the same addresses "created".

So short answer : yes. You'll be able to spend coins from the unencrypted wallet.

Scarecrow (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 08:55:48 PM

Thanks Kouye

This has been a big help with my understanding as to what is going on "under the hood". When I encrypt a wallet, the warning message that comes up but doesn't help much, is a warning that old copies of the same wallet could be used to steal your coins. I don't understand how two wallets with the same public address can show different numbers of transactions but you can't argue with the Blockchain so just check the address in there.

I will permanently retire the incorrect wallet and put a password on the one that is showing the correct transactions.

Thanks for all your help
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3044

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 06:48:03 AM

From the moment you copied your original wallet, they both began their own separate lives.
Encrypting one using a passphrase won't affect the other.

The only thing they share is a pool of x (with x=100 by default) pre-generated addresses.
This basically means if you click 100 times on "create new address" in each of those, you'll get the same addresses "created".
This is false. Encrypting a wallet deletes all unused addresses from the pool and generates new ones. This is to reduce the potential for theft if someone obtains the unencrypted wallet (and in fact that risk is eliminated entirely if, after encrypting the wallet, you send all your coins to a new address and never reuse your old addresses).

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Kouye

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:25:53 PM

This is false. Encrypting a wallet deletes all unused addresses from the pool and generates new ones. This is to reduce the potential for theft if someone obtains the unencrypted wallet (and in fact that risk is eliminated entirely if, after encrypting the wallet, you send all your coins to a new address and never reuse your old addresses).
Excellent, thanks for clearing that up, Foxpup, and sorry about the wrong statement. Still so much to learn... Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: