Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:23:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens if Bitcoin is compromised again?  (Read 2118 times)
revans (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:26:26 PM

Bitcoin was completely subverted once, but it was sufficiently early in its development that the problem could be rolled back and there was no lasting damage. Given the current price of Bitcoins, the motivation for people to search for an create exploits is much larger. If Bitcoin was compromised now, could it recover?
wobber
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:30:33 PM

What happens if you get ignored an you cannot open new stupid threads every day?

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs
YoYa

Activity: 809
Merit: 501

Always verify deals with me through my public key!

View Profile WWW
November 29, 2013, 08:32:32 PM

Bitcoin was completely subverted once

Citation needed.

Given the current price of Bitcoins, the motivation for people to search for an create exploits is much larger.

The motivation for the worlds most talented hackers and software individuals has existed all along and they have been extremely busy trying to find exploits.

If Bitcoin was compromised now, could it recover?
Depends on the nature of the compromise. The encryption part is solid, the network is more vulnerable but any issues are recoverable, we'd get to see the bear market of 11 all over again, if you don't get caught, that's not a bad thing.
revans (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:36:00 PM

Citation needed.

Given the current price of Bitcoins, the motivation for people to search for an create exploits is much larger.

The motivation for the worlds most talented hackers and software individuals has existed all along and they have been extremely busy trying to find exploits.

If Bitcoin was compromised now, could it recover?
Depends on the nature of the compromise. The encryption part is solid, the network is more vulnerable but any issues are recoverable, we'd get to see the bear market of 11 all over again, if you don't get caught, that's not a bad thing.

CVE-2010-5139

revans (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:36:41 PM

What happens if you get ignored an you cannot open new stupid threads every day?

Somewhere a unicorn dies
KFR

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

Per ardua ad luna

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:38:31 PM

The real question is what happens when the trolls run out of stupid questions.  Is there a limitless supply of stupid questions?  And if that is the case, how can they hold any value?

They're trying to buy all the coins. 
We must not let them.
manoamano

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 08:39:00 PM

It is not possible now, with the current network to do it again ..;
GriTBitS

Activity: 448

“A decentralized registry for unique assets”

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:39:26 PM

The real question is what happens when the trolls run out of stupid questions.  Is there a limitless supply of stupid questions?  And if that is the case, how can they hold any value?

Trolls are like fiat, they just keep making them!

▄▄█████████                                                                                   
 ██▀       ██                                                                                   
██         ██                                                                                   
██         ██                                                                                   
██         ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
██         ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
██         ██                                                                                ▀█▄
██         ██                                                                                 ██
██         ██                                                                                 ██
██         ██         ▄██████▄    ▄██████▄     ████████▄     █████████   ▀██▄  ▄██▀           ██
██         ██       ▄██▀    ▀▀   ▄██▀  ▀██▄    ██     ▀██▄   ██            ██████             ██
██         ██       ██▀          ██      ██    ██      ▀██   ██▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀██▀              ██
██         ██       ███          ██▄    ▄██    ██      ▄██   ██            ▄████▄             ██
██         ██        ▀██▄▄▄▄██    ▀██▄▄██▀     ██▄▄▄▄▄██▀    ██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄    ██▀  ▀██            ██
██▄██████████          ▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀           ██
███▀                                                                                          ██
██                                                                                            ██
▀█▄                                                                                           ██
 ▀██▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀████
                                                                                    ██       ▀██
                                                                                    ██       ▄██
                                                                                    ██      ▄██
                                                                                    ███████▀▀   
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █
█ █

*   Collect with Trust   *
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
 █ █
 █ █

revans (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:40:34 PM

It is not possible now, with the current network to do it again ..;

Empty hubris
freethink2013

Activity: 224

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:40:51 PM

Stupid questions are the new tulips
bitcoin44me

Activity: 252

MARKETPLACE FOR PAID ADVICE LIVE BROADCASTS

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:54:23 PM

Obvious troll is obvious

ChanceCoats123

Activity: 682

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:57:46 PM

Actually, it's obvious that the number of these posts will crash because the current levels are completely unsustainable. I expect to see us back at 3-4 threads per week very soon.
Bitcopia

Activity: 715

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:59:01 PM

Seriously, mods, is there a limit to how many threads a user can start? This is getting out of control.
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:01:27 PM

Actually, it's obvious that the number of these posts will crash because the current levels are completely unsustainable. I expect to see us back at 3-4 threads per week very soon.

No! The Revans thread count is going TO THE MOON!!!!11!
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:48:28 PM

Citation needed.

In fairness to revans he is correct.

https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2010-5139

I've come to the conclusion revans is a paid troll or someone in a financial business that will be hit bad when Bitcoin eventually renders it obsolete.

revans (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:04:35 PM

Citation needed.

In fairness to revans he is correct.

https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE-2010-5139

I've come to the conclusion revans is a paid troll or someone in a financial business that will be hit bad when Bitcoin eventually renders it obsolete.

Paid troll! I wish.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:05:50 AM

FUD master!
revans (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:07:25 AM

FUD master!

Fud is it?

If it happened once it can certainly happen again. It is ridiculous to suggest that Bitcoin is now beyond being exploited
hacknoid

Activity: 418
Merit: 252

Proud Canuck

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 01:15:04 AM

Seriously, mods, is there a limit to how many threads a user can start? This is getting out of control.

Don't forget the "ignore" button. Makes trading the forum much less frustrating! Although I am seeing a noticeable proportion of my thread list being grayed out now..  Grin

BitcoinRunner : Side scroller game powered entirely by Bitcoin! 
Game (alpha): http://hacknoid.ca/bitcoinrunner
Discussion: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=907618.0
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:21:31 AM

Paid troll! I wish.

Didn't deny the second option I see. I understand financial businesses are starting to worry a little over Bitcoin. I'll put you in that category.

Bitcoin may succeed, it may not. I don't know the answer, you don't know the answer, no-one else on this forum does. But what I do know is that FUD spreaders will not change the outcome.

Bitcoin isn't flawless, we all know that.
The question is 'is it good enough?'
*shrug* I don't know. We will all find out in time.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: