Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:36:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Bounty] Connect to stratum proxy through WAN port. Possible?  (Read 1456 times)
HappySmack (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:36:59 PM

I am currently running a separate laptop just for the stratum proxy. I would like to free up my laptop for other uses. What I have been attempting to do is run the stratum proxy on the internet source for my router ( of which I have some V2 Block Erupter Blades connected ).

My current setup is as follows:   WiFi > Desktop > Router > Blades and laptop running the stratum proxy.

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on the mining desktop. And for the laptop running the proxy, 13.10.

I do have cgminer ( compiled for Open-cl and Block Erupters ), bfgminer ( Unit3 ppa ) and Slush's stratum ( installed ) on my mining desktop.

Let me visualize my setup with connection info:
http://s10.postimg.org/m9mfh9gth/Proxy_Setup.jpg

And if it wasn't already obvious, the desktop Ethernet is connected to the routers WAN port.

I don't even know if this is possible. But, I really want these blades connecting to the Slush's stratum proxy on my desktop computer and NOT on a separate laptop. After exhausting my patience with Google and this forum's search, I am hoping to be spoon-fed. If someone could provide myself with a successful connection, I will point one blade to the worker / pool of their choice for 24 hours.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 09:52:10 PM

If you have a separate switch, you could put that between the desktop and the router and tie your blades into it, then run the stratum proxy on the desktop. Since they're only looking on local network and have fixed IP, they won't really need the router at all.

The only other thing I can think of is to run some ICS/DHCP on the desktop and use it to route packets, then plug the desktop into LAN ports on the router which would be used as a switch. Depending on what you have running on the desktop to send internets to the router, you may not need the router's actual routing funtions at all - it may only really be doing DHCP IP address assignment for your laptop, which you wouldn't need if you manually assigned an IP. DHCP might still be available even if you only use the router as a switch with wireless (ie plug into the LAN port instead).

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:04:45 PM

so if im right then the desktop is inbetween anything on the internet and anything on your network. kinda like a fire wall?

so if you set the stratum proxy up on the desktop then the desktop should have 2 ip 10.x.x.x for connection to the router and 192.x.x.x for internal networking
so point you miners to the internal ipof that desktop and asling as it has connection to the internet the the stratum will find its way out

HappySmack (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:08:19 PM

I don't own a switch. But, I do have a 24 port hub and some routers ( some with dd-wrt ). So if I understand what you are suggesting, I would replace my router with my hub? I have my Ethernet configured with the default "shared" option in Network Manager. Are you suggesting that I change the blade IP's to the 10.42.0.* or should I choose manual and go with something else?

I'm kinda thinking I can just leave them be as far as IP settings and just change the Server IP on the Blade configuration page to 192.168.1.150. Would this be correct? Can I leave them at 192.168.20.* I will be attempting this once I return home. And thanks for such a quick response.
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:16:48 PM

ok you should basicly have 2 ips for your desktop 1 for the wifi which i believe connects to the internet?
and the a cable running to the router which runs everything else such as blades and laptop?

so from the internet you network goes

internet ---- desktop via wifi -----desktop ---- router via cable from desktop -----blades and other

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:20:48 PM

Try this:

Stratum proxy on desktop
Desktop plugged into LAN port on router
Blades plugged into LAN port on router
Blade's IP changed to 10.42.0.x range, 10.42.0.1 gateway, 10.42.0.1 server

Most of what a router does through the WAN port, your desktop is already doing. You should be able to use it as a switch with wireless. If you have more blades, it should work to plug them into the hub and then plug *that* into a LAN port on the router.

Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
HappySmack (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:03:39 AM

The LAN port, that was the clincher. Thanks so much. I have done this before and should have known this. I used to do the same thing in my Win 98 / XP days.

I would have to say that sidehack got myself where I needed to be. And with that I offer the aforementioned bounty to him / her.

If you would send the appropriate info either by pm or posting it here, I will start your hashing. I will guarantee 24 hours of my hashing time. I won't cover your rig or pool's downtime. If you would prefer to wait until after let's say March or a one time payment of BTC.001 , please let me know I would be happy to provide.  Grin  Otherwise I will be waiting for your pool info and worker log in info. If possible a Btc-Guild account would make my life easier. But I will accommodate whatever you provide.

sidehack
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:26:15 AM

PM sent.

HappySmack (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:49:20 AM

Complete. Thanks.

http://postimg.org/image/da0ss7xmp/

http://s24.postimg.org/da0ss7xmp/DONE.jpg

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: