Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:02:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to create Receive address manually?  (Read 702 times)
aleXka (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 10:39:29 PM

Hi,
I used official BTC client for the first time and did mistake.
I created new address in Address menu and sent money to this address.
Now I understand that I sent money to Send Address but not to Receive Address.
If I am not wrong it means that I sent money to not existing address and the money will receive somebody who will create this Receive Address.
In official BTC client Receive address is generated automatically.
Can I create the address manually so I will receive money to this address?
What can I do in this situation? How can I get my money which I sent to address which was created in Address menu?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BookLover

Activity: 533
Merit: 500

^Bitcoin Library of Congress.

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:57:15 PM

If you just made up the address you sent sent your bitcoins to then your bitcoins are gone forever and no one will ever get them.  If you copied the address from somewhere else then you might be able to contact the owner and ask him to return the coins. 
You cannot manually generate a specific bitcoin address. 
Sorry about your loss, I hope you were just testing and didn't lose much. Undecided

P.S.  If you could go to the Transactions tab, double click this transaction, and post the "Transaction ID" then there is an extremely thin chance you are misunderstanding something and can get your coins back.

Flyhi1402

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:46:20 AM

Try and search the address...
aleXka (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 12:01:53 PM

I generated address here: bitaddress.org
I saved the SHARE address only.
I bought BTC on xmlgold.eu.
They completed the order and sent money to the address I created.

Did I lost my money? Sad Can I find the way how to get it back? Sad

p.s. 100$
rarkenin

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:02:27 PM

Here's the thing with this. In order to have a usable address you need both the share and secret details from that site. The point is that the secret is needed to use or spend money sent to the share address (private and public keys, for technical users). If you closed the tab long ago, that makes the secret irrecoverable, making your coins lost, unfortunately.

In a way, it's like creating a locked drop box, throwing away the key, and having people put money in that locked dropbox. Except here, you can't pry it open with a crowbar in a reasonable amount of time.
aleXka (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:41:40 PM

If I could get the private key, what should I do to get my money?
rarkenin

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:06:31 PM

You must create some sort of wallet using a website or a program and import that private key. For example, as a temporary measure(don't rely on web wallets for large sums) create an account at blockchain.info/wallet, and on "Import/Export" paste the private key in. Do not choose to sweep funds, just import directly. You now have your coins.

I would suggest installing something like multibit or the official bitcoin wallet program, and sending your coins from blockchain.info to your new address stored on that program.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: