Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 06:34:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What would you pay?  (Read 1260 times)
Funky Al (OP)

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken.

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:10:05 PM

I've seen some butterfly labs 5G/H rigs on eBay.

The general consensus is that mining isn't profitable but if I cash out 0.7 BTC I could probably get one of these. I could set it up at work and not get in trouble as I'm the boss.

I bought the the BTC at a much lower rate than they are now so would this be worth a look or is it not enough power considering the difficulty increase?

Thanks for any input.
enquirer

Activity: 306
Merit: 257

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:25:27 PM

use a mining profitability calculator, for example here http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/. You will see that 5GHz miner running from now to eternity with free power, will generate ~0.3 BTC.
pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 29, 2013, 11:28:22 PM

If you want you can give me 0.7 btc and i 'll give you back 0.5 in a year.
Trust me it's a better deal than to buy that miner.  Shocked

Funky Al (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 09:29:39 AM

Thanks for the replies, I'll take it off my Christmas list for now.

Pand70, I'll have to have a think about your offer and let you know.

Cheers.
Rannasha

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 12:39:57 PM

You can get virtual hashpower at cex.io for 0.066 BTC per GHash/s. And that is uncertain whether it'll get you your coins back.

With any mining investment, check if it is cheaper than cex.io. If not, forget about it.
Funky Al (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:06:50 PM

You can get virtual hashpower at cex.io for 0.066 BTC per GHash/s. And that is uncertain whether it'll get you your coins back.

With any mining investment, check if it is cheaper than cex.io. If not, forget about it.

Yeah, I looked at that too. Just think I had a misplaced idea about owning my own mining rig, but that seems a much better idea.

Thanks.
BTCNations

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2013, 04:40:13 PM

yes, its pretty cheap now at cex.io, but its worth consideration justkeeping BTC too.
ArpFlush

Activity: 623
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 08:57:09 AM

use a mining profitability calculator, for example here http://mining.thegenesisblock.com/. You will see that 5GHz miner running from now to eternity with free power, will generate ~0.3 BTC.

After checking this calculator I guess not a single device will give me profit after march 2014  Cry

"Panic Selling is not an Investment Strategy"
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 09:01:26 AM

After checking this calculator I guess not a single device will give me profit after march 2014  Cry

Well they will generate a net operating profit on a day-to-day basis but not when the cost of the initial hardware is figured it. Unless you can get the miner for free or 1/2 off it's not worth buying anything right now.
pand70

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 11:45:07 PM

The problem is that march is way to far and every estimation will probably fail. IT all depends on you want to see things. If you want to see profit you ll probably estimate things with a positive bias.

Funky Al (OP)

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 12:19:16 AM

Thanks for the link. I've just discovered a friend of mine who runs an import business claims he can get a 38G/H miner for around £550.

I've don't have much info, but from the numbers I've estimated even this looks like it will struggle to make profit. Will the difficulty increase as much as it says on the site? I can't believe the increase in just a year.

Thanks again for any advice.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: