Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 12:01:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Basic question about Electrum--Security  (Read 426 times)
Pillow (OP)

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 12:40:38 AM

I've just downloaded Electrum and I'm wondering--if someone gets physical access to my computer, can they open electrum and send my coins to their address?  Unless I'm missing something, it seems like this is so--the send page does not require a password (as far as I can tell, I have not received or sent any coins yet).
beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 12:42:43 AM

they cannot, so long as you use the cold storage method.

the private key stays on the cold storage hard drive/computer (which is not connected to the internet in any way).

you then load your master public key onto your main computer (to check balances and even make transactions, as long as you can import the signature). that way, no one is able to send money out of your wallet if they only have access to your watching-only wallet.
marcusnz

Activity: 24

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 03:18:55 AM

I've just downloaded Electrum and I'm wondering--if someone gets physical access to my computer, can they open electrum and send my coins to their address?  Unless I'm missing something, it seems like this is so--the send page does not require a password (as far as I can tell, I have not received or sent any coins yet).

Does Electrum store alt coins as well and if not, are there any wallets that are secure that do?
Tsauriel

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:08:50 AM

Your public key is what you use to request payment from other users. You don't need to worry if someone knows what your public key is because all they can do with it is send you Bitcoins.

This is my public key: 1PiTPWAfjDvAx4uMMSnNHWYM8Cv2QKSwUY

Your private key is what you use to manage the Bitcoins on your public key. Your wallet/client/computer must know what your private key is in order access your public key to pay someone. You do need to worry if someone knows what your private key because all someone needs to steal your bitcoins is your private key.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: