Bitcoin Forum
June 06, 2024, 07:41:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Interest Check, Request for comments!  (Read 513 times)
Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1756

Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 06:04:04 AM
Merited by actmyname (1)

Hello Collectibles section!

I'll try to keep it as brief as possible and then if there are any questions/interest I will elaborate as much as I can.

On top of being a former BTC miner, a current alt coin miner and general BTC enthusiast I am also a big 3D printing enthusiast.  I have had the pleasure of personally working with plastic, full colour "sandstone" and metal 3D printers.  As a hobby I enjoy designing new and different things.  I recently decided to design a ring for myself not with the intention of wearing it but to display it in my office.

Ok so now we get to why I'm here!  I thought I would see if there was interest in the collectibles crowd for something like this (similar not exactly this one as this design is for personal use).  I thought I would do up a little different design and have 5 or 10 made up as a limited edition.  One of the cool things (I think) about 3D printing for manufacturing collectibles is that it would be quite easy to number them and also "print" into each "part" (ring) an authenticating mark.

There are quite a few material options, bronze, copper, 14/18k gold plated, sterling silver, 14/18k gold, platinum, and a couple more.

Since I have no trust if there is enough interest from trusted members I would a do first edition of gold plated or sterling silver or something.  It could end up being a couple months or more from the time we decided to move forward and I would be fine with escrow.  Escrow would not need to happen until the rings are ready to ship to to you so the coins would only be locked during shipping to you for obvious reasons!

I can not even speculate on price at this point but I hope I can get a quote pretty easy if this goes anywhere.

Provided I don't get laughed out of here or ignored I will be happy to answer any questions about the process, prototyping, who will be manufacturing (it's a large American company, not me LOL), materials, design, display etc.

I'm open to your suggestions as well.

I hope this explains things and I really hope you enjoy it!

Hhampuz
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 5975

Meh.

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 06:09:06 AM

Glad to see you here Flying Hellfish!

This looks real good IMO and I'll be looking forward to see this go into production Smiley. 3D Printing is great and there are a few people here offering different items/services using their skills in the are.

I don't have real feedback as of now without seeing final design and perhaps the price but I'll be following this thread and wish you the best of luck!

killyou73

Activity: 504
Merit: 185

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 06:09:49 AM

Paging salty, make it gold
Hhampuz
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 5975

Meh.

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 06:11:01 AM

Could be a great collab Smiley

Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 06:14:42 AM

Could be a great collab Smiley

Yes, YES and YES!!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2018, 06:31:32 AM

Looks nice albeit a little too much for my taste. You could also try modelling the ring (which seems simpler) that Charlie Shrem has on his profile picture: https://twitter.com/CharlieShrem. +1 for silver and gold.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 06:43:10 AM

Looks nice albeit a little too much for my taste. You could also try modelling the ring (which seems simpler) that Charlie Shrem has on his profile picture: https://twitter.com/CharlieShrem. +1 for silver and gold.

I was definitely thinking about it potentially being a little "gawdy" lol.  I did sorta have a "super bowl" style ring as my inspiration and may have gotten a little carried away with the size of the heads on the side!

Charlies rings would be relatively easy to model.  Being that this is a hobby to me I'm not sure about infringing on someone else's work.  I understand the BTC logo is free use but I assume I couldn't outright copy his ring?

Perhaps a cat nuzzled up to a BTC would be more your style eh?  Smiley

I can do more than one design and I'd like to so I'll see what else folks have to say and go from there.

Thanks,
FH
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2018, 07:42:26 AM

Charlies rings would be relatively easy to model.  Being that this is a hobby to me I'm not sure about infringing on someone else's work.  I understand the BTC logo is free use but I assume I couldn't outright copy his ring?
Well, unless you copy the body of the ring 1:1 I don't think it would be 'stolen'. It's essentially just a ring with a BTC logo slapped on it, and I'm sure we will see more of those (available commercially) in the future.

Perhaps a cat nuzzled up to a BTC would be more your style eh?  Smiley
Well. Tongue

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
makila

Activity: 357
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 07:50:48 AM

I wouldnt wear it but i would use it as a wax seal for sure. If the plastic wont melt ofc
krogothmanhattan
Cypher Hodl LLC
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 3297

The Stone the masons rejected was the cornerstone.

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2018, 08:46:24 AM

Very interesting concept. Ever consider doing this in silver or stainless steel? What would these sell at?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▀█▀▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀▀░░░█░░░▀▀▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░█░░░░░░▀▀▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░▀▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▄░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░▄███████████▄░░░░░░▐▌
░░░░░░░░░░█░░░░▄█████████████████▄░░░░█
░░░░░░░░░▐▌░░░█▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░▀█▄░░▐▌
░░░░░░░░░█░░▄█▄░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░▄▄▄░░░░██▄▐▌
░░░░░░░░▐░▄█▌▄▄░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░▀▀▀░░░████▌█
░░░░░░░▐▌▐███████▄░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄█████▌░█
░░░░░░░█░▐█████████████████████████████░░█
░░░░░░░█░░██████████████████████████████░░▌
░░░░▄▄██▄░▀▀██████████████████████████▀░░░███▄▄
░░▄█░░░░░█▄▄▄▄▄▄░▀▀█████████████████▀░▄▄█▀░░░░░█▄
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀██████████████▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▀█▀▄▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀▀░░░█░░░▀▀▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░█░░░░░░▀▀▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░▀▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░░░░░▄▄█▄░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░▄███████████▄░░░░░░▐▌
░░░░░░░░░░█░░░░▄█████████████████▄░░░░█
░░░░░░░░░▐▌░░░█▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░▀█▄░░▐▌
░░░░░░░░░█░░▄█▄░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░▄▄▄░░░░██▄▐▌
░░░░░░░░▐░▄█▌▄▄░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░▀▀▀░░░████▌█
░░░░░░░▐▌▐███████▄░░░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄█████▌░█
░░░░░░░█░▐█████████████████████████████░░█
░░░░░░░█░░██████████████████████████████░░▌
░░░░▄▄██▄░▀▀██████████████████████████▀░░░███▄▄
░░▄█░░░░░█▄▄▄▄▄▄░▀▀█████████████████▀░▄▄█▀░░░░░█▄
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀██████████████▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░█
█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
Mr.Ease

Activity: 1596
Merit: 534

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:33:17 PM

That is Hot. I love the bull/bear heads.

This is one of those things that must be gold

I would definitly be interested in getting one

~ Too Many Scams, Schemes, and Shitcoins... ~
Ticked

Activity: 1526
Merit: 473

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 03:35:02 PM

if this isnt worn on the thumb, ouch

EDIT: Or baller pinky ring
Lesbian Cow
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 1752

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 04:03:44 PM

Cool new ideas here, and good to see.

I would definitely be interested in a simple pinkie ring made of 925 silver with the bitcoin logo, similar to the one Charlie Shrem wears.

Maybe stamp a small bull on one side and a bear on the other?

To err is human, to moo is bovine

https://www.instagram.com/lesbiancow212/
digicoinuser
Legendary

Activity: 2744
Merit: 1072

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 05:41:05 PM

Very neat to see another 3D printer/CAD enthusiast!  I've been running a 3D Printing/Design service for some time and have designed some custom items for users around here - ★ Digis 3D Printing / Design Service ★ -= Crypto, Logos, Figurines, Custom Parts.   Smiley

Although I'd love to hop onto the exotic material printing bandwagon, I haven't seen much progress or actually finished pieces (asides from CAD drawings) that match the level of detail and quality required to produce a part that competes with standard manufacturing practices.  

Do you happen to have any photos or samples of finished pieces you've created in exotic materials (bronze, copper, 14/18k gold plated, sterling silver, 14/18k gold, platinum)?

Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 08:39:17 PM

Very neat to see another 3D printer/CAD enthusiast!  I've been running a 3D Printing/Design service for some time and have designed some custom items for users around here - ★ Digis 3D Printing / Design Service ★ -= Crypto, Logos, Figurines, Custom Parts.   Smiley

Although I'd love to hop onto the exotic material printing bandwagon, I haven't seen much progress or actually finished pieces (asides from CAD drawings) that match the level of detail and quality required to produce a part that competes with standard manufacturing practices.  

Do you happen to have any photos or samples of finished pieces you've created in exotic materials (bronze, copper, 14/18k gold plated, sterling silver, 14/18k gold, platinum)?

Awesome stuff man, the first printer I ever owned back in 2012 or maybe 13 was a wood framed makerbot, I wish I still had it LOL!  I spent hours tinkering with the old girl, but I don't have pics from then.

I then moved on to working on a full colour powderbed 3D printer (projet 660) I was involved with some friends who started a 3D selfie business on the side.  This is where I learned the bulk of my CAD skills as I did all the digital post processing of the raw scans to get them print ready!  Printing in 1 or 2 colours is awesome but printing in 6 million colours (full CMYK) and adding texture maps to the models takes it to a whole new level and I learned an unbelievable amount during the companies short life span.

Here is a press release from a national news spot on the company from back in 2014.
https://globalnews.ca/video/1327703/new-company-offering-3d-selfies

My current work with 3D printing is with a client who has the 2 largest DMLS (powderbed laser metal 3D printing, true additive manufacturing) machines in Canada.  They are a tool and die company that is a T1 automotive supplier.  They print exclusively in maraging steel (MS1) and according to my client they are revolutionizing the large high pressure die cast world by adding in conformal cooling to die cavities.  These conformal cooling lines are impossible with traditional manufacturing process.  I am not allowed as you can imagine to share any of that proprietary work here.

I have not printed in any of the precious material before and I wouldn't be the one doing it.  I would upload my designs to Shapeways and have them do it.  This way I have a lot more confidence that the quality of the metal is what it is supposed to be.

I guess at this point I should mention the process a company like Shapeways uses for "3D printing" various metal materials.

3D printed precious metals usually use what is called a loss wax cast method, which allows for high precision jewelry. I guess it may be a bit misleading as the end product is not printed but it is cast.  Basically a high resolution 3D printer creates the model in wax.  Then liquid plaster is poured around the wax model.  Once the plaster sets the wax is melted out in an oven and you are left with a nice one time use mould.  Base metal is poured into the mould and then broken away to leave the cast of the original model!  It can then be plated or polished or any other post processing technique desired.

I haven't got any example of my own work done like this because I haven't done any yet.  I am going to though because it's just to cool not to LOL! I will update the thread with the first piece I do, show the design and when I get the finished product back will do a review and post some pictures.  I think even if I don't sell any enough folks will be interested to see it!

Check out Shapeways to see tons examples of jewelry created this way, the detail and finish appears to be high quality.  But as you know yourself there are limitations on minimum sizes so stuff doesn't break during post, shipping, use etc etc!

Now back to some of the actual questions LOL

I would do it in any material the manufacture is offering.  I don't have a stainless option currently.  They do have a .925 sterling silver option but not a .999 option.

For the other design questions I will do up a few more designs and see what people think.  Originally I had thought of a display piece but if people want something to wear I can handle that!

I'll update with more design pics when I have them.
Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 12:25:59 AM

New design, for the more minimalist crowd!

I am going to get a quote to manufacture this design in a couple of materials.  If the cost seems reasonable I will get a couple made so I have something physical to show!

Also going to start work on additional designs while I wait for pricing and possibly manufacturing.

Oh and lastly of the 4 freaking pieces of CAD software I use not one of them had an actual silver material...  I ended up having to use a gloss plastic material with a silver paint on it.  The result is not what I would call a realistic representation but it's about as close as I can get!

OneNattyLitecoin

Activity: 356
Merit: 335

If you don’t believe, why are you here?

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 01:48:55 AM

I’d be honored to be bitch-slapped by that first pinky ring,
dazedfool
Legendary

Activity: 1511
Merit: 1127

derp

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 02:43:01 AM

Now THIS raises a serious quandry... would you be willing to create a version with a mirrored BTC?

So that the mark left on the opposing party after such a bitch-slap would be a welt in a normal/legible facing BTC direction...

Oh and out of titanium perhaps?
Flying Hellfish (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 06, 2018, 01:32:11 PM

Now THIS raises a serious quandry... would you be willing to create a version with a mirrored BTC?

So that the mark left on the opposing party after such a bitch-slap would be a welt in a normal/legible facing BTC direction...

Oh and out of titanium perhaps?

I would be willing to do whatever you want!!!  As they say BTC talks and bullshit walks.  It would be an honour to have designed and sold the official BTC bitch slapping ring!  I might even name the piece that if it's all good with you 2!

Out of titanium, sure see above!

As a little update:

I had to do a few minor tweeks to the Bitcoin Bull & Bear design.  There were too many small parts that likely wouldn't survive the manufacturing process.
1:  Re-positioned the bulls horns to be "pinned/supported" by the ring body.
2:  Increased size of bull nose ring and "pinned" it to bulls head
3:  Removed the world map from under the  BTC logo.  Central America, Japan and a whole bunch of locations
     were way to small when scaled down to ring size.  I would have had to make them bigger and it looked
     weird when I started to fix it so I scraped it instead.
4:  Closed Bears mouth.  The teeth were to small, rather than removing them completely I closed the mouth
     slightly and merged the teeth together for proper support.

I went ahead and got a quote for manufacturing both rings.  After reviewing the quote I went ahead and ordered 2 of each of the rings.  I ordered a premium polished sterling silver (.925) and 18k gold plated for each style.

Eta I was given is end of May for me to have them.  You can be sure when I get them I will post pics for review.  If they are good quality I will probably offer them for sale.  The manufacture has the ability for the artists to set up an e-store on their site, I may look into that and offer direct BTC sales here.

I am going to do some more designs, I have a bunch of ideas floating around my brain now!
I think one of the next designs might include HODL somewhere!!!
Also please throw out any other suggestions you might like to see incorporated in future designs, please!!!!!
BitcoinNewsMagazine
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1164

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2018, 03:29:33 PM

The over the top bull and bear ring looks unwearable with the side projections much prefer the minimalist design in white or yellow 14K gold.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: