Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:43:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminer Z9 mini - GPU mining killed ?  (Read 900 times)
kgminer (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 6

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 06:15:19 AM

this can mine Equihash-based coins - ZCash (ZEC), ZClassic (ZCL) & ZenCash (ZEN)

1080 Ti:
740H/s at 200-240W, upfront cost of $700
$9,500 upfront cost for 10kH/s
2,970W power usage at 10kH/s

Z9 Mini:
10,000H/s at 300W, upfront cost of $1,999
$1,999 upfront cost for 10kH/s
300W power usage at 10kH/s

What Equihash based coins will become ASIC resistant?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 06:46:32 AM

this can mine Equihash-based coins - ZCash (ZEC), ZClassic (ZCL) & ZenCash (ZEN)

1080 Ti:
740H/s at 200-240W, upfront cost of $700
$9,500 upfront cost for 10kH/s
2,970W power usage at 10kH/s

Z9 Mini:
10,000H/s at 300W, upfront cost of $1,999
$1,999 upfront cost for 10kH/s
300W power usage at 10kH/s

What Equihash based coins will become ASIC resistant?

No, GPU mining is not killed.  This is the same thing we have seen with bitcoin and every other coin and every other algorithm that gets an ASIC or FPGA for it.  There are just too many reasons for GPU mining to carry-on as always. 

For one thing, GPUs are so attainable and prevalent.  Gamers can mine and miners can mine and it's all good.  Some day people will get over it and just realize that ASIC and FPGA are just part of the cyrptocurrency ecosystem that was built by GPUs which have always been and will continue to be the FOUNDATION!

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
Geraldo

Activity: 588
Merit: 272

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 07:15:48 AM

-snip-

No, GPU mining is not killed.  This is the same thing we have seen with bitcoin and every other coin and every other algorithm that gets an ASIC or FPGA for it.  There are just too many reasons for GPU mining to carry-on as always. 

For one thing, GPUs are so attainable and prevalent.  Gamers can mine and miners can mine and it's all good.  Some day people will get over it and just realize that ASIC and FPGA are just part of the cyrptocurrency ecosystem that was built by GPUs which have always been and will continue to be the FOUNDATION!

Super agree with you.

As a GPU miner, ASICs expansion more like a new challenge to do more. Just remember, thousands of coins out there, even every algorithm has a lot of coins and almost every days we found a new thing, regeneration keeps going each time. Just stay focus and keep going.
tufail_74

Activity: 72
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 09:13:28 AM

BITMAIN plays through ASICs. surely ASIC miners have some advantages but the charm and ease of GPU is unmatchable. I hav both D3 and GPU and i get almost same BTC from both but less power from GPU and no noise while D3 scream all over.
m.vina

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 09:32:39 AM

-snip-

Super agree with you.

As a GPU miner, ASICs expansion more like a new challenge to do more. Just remember, thousands of coins out there, even every algorithm has a lot of coins and almost every days we found a new thing, regeneration keeps going each time. Just stay focus and keep going.

That is not the goal of crypto. Bitcoin was designed to be decentralized and distribute power to the masses. There are just too many barriers to entry for regular people to be using ASICs in their homes. It sounds like you've given up but i for one don't see why developers can't tweak algorithms and develop true ASIC resistance. Monero just should us that it is possible. Anyone else not doing it should have a reasonable explanation.

M O Z O   //     $31M RAISED!     PRE-LISTED on Coinrail     $450k Bounty Tradable on 8/8/18
●            ●                       VERSACE & 38,000 Stores are accepting MOZO TOKENS                       ●            ●
●            ●            WHITEPAPER        MEDIUM        TELEGRAM        ANN THREAD            ●            ●
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 09:56:07 AM

Super agree with you.

That is not the goal of crypto. Bitcoin was designed to be decentralized and distribute power to the masses. There are just too many barriers to entry for regular people to be using ASICs in their homes. It sounds like you've given up but i for one don't see why developers can't tweak algorithms and develop true ASIC resistance. Monero just should us that it is possible. Anyone else not doing it should have a reasonable explanation.

It isn't centralization, after all. Just look at the price and power consumption. Everyone can buy it, and everyone can use it (compare it to GPUs rig). The main only problems are this machine comes after a lot of miner use GPUs (off course beside issue or may fact that Bitmain sends the machine that already used after they do "silent" mining for some time).

We have zero control over ASICs machine producer also coins Dev, But yes, people power (community) may do it.

Personally, I don't like doing something that I can't control. and it's not giving up, that called fighting, survive or whatever. Just focusing your energy on what we can do more, keep learning, keep going.  Wink
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2018, 10:03:35 AM

Everyone can buy it, and everyone can use it (compare it to GPUs rig).

Everyone can buy and use it, really? Let's consider the following:

1. The cost of the latest ZEC ASIC is $2000 USD. Isn't that a rather large risky investment for a non-crypto person? A simple GPU that can mine any coin would start at $250-$300.
2. You can only buy 1 ZEC ASIC per person. Companies or other entities probably have a way of getting around this while the regular person will have to buy 2nd hand ASICs at inflated prices.
3. Have you ever owned an ASIC and heard how loud it is? Unless you love DIY and have extra space and a lot of time on your hands, a regular person's house is not a place to run ASICs.

Just throwing these out there. I'm pretty sure theres more reasons and disadvantages to ASIC but i haven't listed them all.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
Geraldo

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 10:37:23 AM

1. The cost of the latest ZEC ASIC is $2000 USD. Isn't that a rather large risky investment for a non-crypto person? A simple GPU that can mine any coin would start at $250-$300.
2. You can only buy 1 ZEC ASIC per person. Companies or other entities probably have a way of getting around this while the regular person will have to buy 2nd hand ASICs at inflated prices.
3. Have you ever owned an ASIC and heard how loud it is? Unless you love DIY and have extra space and a lot of time on your hands, a regular person's house is not a place to run ASICs.

Just throwing these out there. I'm pretty sure theres more reasons and disadvantages to ASIC but i haven't listed them all.

1.It's not fair when you were comparing one ASICs (Antminer Z9) with one only GPUs, just look at OP's post. I didn't say that every miner must have at least one standard rigs (6 GPU), in fact, many of 'em have at least three (3) GPU on their rig or even more. Calculate it, how much that rig will cost you and don't forget about power consumption.
2.One Z9 Mini equal to one powerful GPUs rig, and cost you less and more efficient on power usage.
3.My last ASICs was Antminer S1 and S2 (in the last of 2014 - first of 2015), So I know how noisy it is.

I didn't use ASIC now and I didn't plan to buy, as I said above, I'm GPU miner and my mining activity isn't affected by ASICs expansion because I stay focus on what I can do more with my GPUs rigs.
contact420

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 03:55:19 PM

I have been looking at these asics for a while. I want to get another mining system that is a good option while continuing to GPU mine. my GPUs mine Eth and CPUs mine XMR and with a Z9 I would mine whatever equihash coin is most profitable, probably zcash. but At 2000 i have to save and get my wife's permission to buy it, lol. That is not gonna happen cause our 2nd car just blew up a few weeks back so now there are more important things, in her book. but as people were saying GPU mining is more decentralized due to the fact that every gaming system can mine. but not everyone can drop 2000 on 1 asic miner, but its easier to afford one GPU and slowly expand like i did. I started with one GPU and bought another after 3 months. MY rig is building it's self. I just bought another RX570 2 days ago for 288.00 and my rig will make that back in less then 1.5 months. I thought its was a good deal until the next morning when i seen the same newegg item number for $38 cheaper, I called newegg and asked if I could be included in the sale so then he requested a$38 gift card for my to balance the difference. its the asus rog rx570 260 @ newegg on sale until monday. so quick go click click. lol

so i would have to agree that asic mining is more centralized because of the conditions they need to operate and their cost. I am wondering if they get as hot and loud as the other antminer asic miners??? I want a couple asics and a few mining rigs. trying to keep a balance but the GPU rigs come first since its cheaper. GOOD for winter though, I heated my apartment with my mining rig all winter. my space heater paid me. haha.   Wink
Mike011

Activity: 312
Merit: 104

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 06:25:30 PM

"Antminer Z9 mini - GPU mining killed ?"

Hardly. It will take a lot more than that to take down gpu mining.
rubicon007

Activity: 9

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 08:45:22 PM

lots of naive opinions here, yes, if the zcash team does not make asic resistant, it will be a lot bad for GPU mining, try to look at the first post ... a lot of coins, a lower price, for a lot of GPU miners will fall, a big price of electricity, low rewards ...
AlecMe

Activity: 392
Merit: 159

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 08:51:12 PM

worst case scenario we have the birds (x16s x16r algo)  Grin
grchina

Activity: 476
Merit: 278

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 09:02:39 PM

So far only komodo said that they wont change algo to fight asics(zec because of zooko probably wont do anything about that2)while all other equihash coins will probably switch zhash(modifed version of equihash 144 5.Have in mind that those asics are probably mining from january so we might even see the increase in gpu mining profits when forks happens,similiar situation like we had with cryptoknight
Littledragons

Activity: 294
Merit: 102

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 09:12:58 PM

I have a hard time believing that ZEC wont fork. They really have been against it since the early days.
Not sure what their stance is now, but I feel like the GPU miners control a large portion of the market and really go hard on the fork.

T r a x i o n                              TRADE AND EARN DURING PRE-ICO
TRANSITIONS YOU TO A CRYPTO-READY SOCIETY        Pre-Sale starts April 15, 2018
GITHUB     TELEGRAM     MEDIUM     FACEBOOK     TWITTER     REDDIT     YOUTUBE
shaninium

Activity: 489
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 08, 2018, 10:55:54 PM

worst case scenario we have the birds (x16s x16r algo)  Grin

Current equil asics , future eth asics and fpga's with cn7 and small alts will push a lot of gpus onto the birds and other coins, there may be many to mine but can those coins still be decently profitable once the hashrate shifts, especially if they are low hashrate coins, not likely unfortunately. Researching new coins to mine may have paid off in the past, but eventually more people will be researching to find those profits, and the whole market will flatten out.

driveusa

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 03:05:57 PM

makerain

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 03:08:55 PM

1. you would need 18 GPU to acheive 10K sols 18 X $300 so your wrong here
2.Not true you can by 50 and you could at first batch after the first 2 weeks.
3. Agree with this, loft is best solution but it gets hot

makerain

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 13, 2018, 03:11:31 PM

I have a hard time believing that ZEC wont fork. They really have been against it since the early days.
Not sure what their stance is now, but I feel like the GPU miners control a large portion of the market and really go hard on the fork.

ZEC will not fork... END OF...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: