Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 11:32:48 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: openrigs.com  (Read 636 times)
repairguy (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:43:46 AM

Hello All.  I saw over in the hardware section openrigs.com is selling a case for pcie video miners/superman bruteforce rigs.  It appears that the gpu cards are hanging by the back plate. It also apears the motherboard is hanging from the 3 screws on the one side.  All of the rigs I made I support the back end of the cards.  It seems to me that way would put too much tension on the cards and motherboard.  Anyone have any thoughts or experience relative to that mounting style?
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 05:38:28 PM

Hello All.  I saw over in the hardware section openrigs.com is selling a case for pcie video miners/superman bruteforce rigs.  It appears that the gpu cards are hanging by the back plate. It also apears the motherboard is hanging from the 3 screws on the one side.  All of the rigs I made I support the back end of the cards.  It seems to me that way would put too much tension on the cards and motherboard.  Anyone have any thoughts or experience relative to that mounting style?

The old pictures don't show it correctly, we have new pics that show the motherboard crossbar support more accurately (unedited, so excuse the lack of editing) -

As you can see, there's a crossbar the back of the motherboard leans on.

GPUs are supported by the backplate only, which is in line with the PCI definition - the backplate HAS to be able to support the card in its entirety, as in vertical mount scenarios where risers are used there is no support from the PCI-e connector.

Masejoer

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 15, 2014, 06:05:39 PM

Beautiful frames. I was set to buy two a week ago, but realized during checkout that the shipping to my location doubled the price and estimate said it would take a month to arrive. Going to try a wood frame in the next few days. Worse case, I'm out $20 and pick up one of these beauties.

I was a bit turned away a bit from how wide they are, but there is also nothing else like them for the price. They could be shorter, allowing 19cm pci-e extensions to reach further horizontally, allowing the motherboard to be moved over and fit the psu's under the videocards? I'm mining in a home and using it as a winter spaceheater.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 06:38:24 PM

Beautiful frames. I was set to buy two a week ago, but realized during checkout that the shipping to my location doubled the price and estimate said it would take a month to arrive. Going to try a wood frame in the next few days. Worse case, I'm out $20 and pick up one of these beauties.

I was a bit turned away a bit from how wide they are, but there is also nothing else like them for the price. They could be shorter, allowing 19cm pci-e extensions to reach further horizontally, allowing the motherboard to be moved over and fit the psu's under the videocards? I'm mining in a home and using it as a winter spaceheater.

It's a bit of a yes-and-no argument. Our designs are primarily designed to reduce heat, as the typical use-case is people who are tired of 90 C GPUs and want their GPUs to run cooler. We tried smaller versions, but when you reduce the space between the cards significantly you may as well not even bother. The heat map at 6cm (back to front spacing between cards) is horrible compared to 8cm. Our thinking is that the whole point of an open frame is to let the heat disperse naturally and evenly. When we have some time we'll be put up thermal imaging (FLIR) photos of rigs running at different space points to demonstrate the heat dispersion at more compact intervals, but trust me when I say that more compact is non-optimal:)

fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 15, 2014, 06:39:00 PM

PS - we have a running 5% discount at the moment, use the coupon code REDDIT5 during checkout or when viewing your cart:)

jumpmanjay

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 02:33:00 PM

DOH. I just ordered and didn't realize there was a discount promo going. Sad

CoinTrader - Trade digital currency on Android via Cryptsy!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sedailabs.cointrader

BitPredict - Trade your favorite events on Android via Predictious!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sedailabs.bitpredict
DepthCharge

Activity: 26

View Profile
January 16, 2014, 03:03:01 PM

^^ Just cancel them and order them again with the promo  Smiley
These do look amazing though, especially in the winter time it would be great to just put them in the shed. Grin
repairguy (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:16:20 AM

It has been sounding like they are really far out on delivery so I just built my own frames.
reuitom

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 08:24:40 AM

good web
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: