Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:21:31 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL Single SC dead after less than a month  (Read 1989 times)
NChosting (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 10:09:30 AM

Hey guys

At first I thought it was the power suppply. But after testing the power supply I was getting 13V and the light of the power supply came on when not plugged into the single.

But when I plugged it into the single, the psu light goes off the fans on the Single SC turn half way then everything just stops. Like some kind of short circuit.

Any ideas?
bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:54:29 AM

Hey guys

At first I thought it was the power suppply. But after testing the power supply I was getting 13V and the light of the power supply came on when not plugged into the single.

But when I plugged it into the single, the psu light goes off the fans on the Single SC turn half way then everything just stops. Like some kind of short circuit.

Any ideas?
I'd say to first test the input and see if you have 0 ohms.  If that is the case, there is likely a bad solder joint somewhere that is touching the 12V to ground.  I'd inspect near the input plugs and see if there is anything obvious.  If you know anything about soldering, all you'd need is a good hot soldering iron and a soldersucker to remove the excess causing the short.  If you are uncomfortable with soldering, then you'd probably have to RMA it.

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
NChosting (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 07:50:11 PM

Hey guys

Any ideas?
I'd say to first test the input and see if you have 0 ohms.  If that is the case, there is likely a bad solder joint somewhere that is touching the 12V to ground.  I'd inspect near the input plugs and see if there is anything obvious.  If you know anything about soldering, all you'd need is a good hot soldering iron and a soldersucker to remove the excess causing the short.  If you are uncomfortable with soldering, then you'd probably have to RMA it.

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I get nothing when I plug the power supply in. It just cuts out. Nothing wrong with the solder points, everything seems intact. Strange for it to go like this. It was working fine and then it just went!
dropt
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 09:13:42 PM

Yeah, great advice.  The product is under warranty and you think he should start fucking around with a solder iron.  *golf clap*  Another great idea from the likes of BCP19.
poochone

Activity: 361
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:54:02 PM

i can bay for parts

NChosting (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:21:56 AM

Yeah, great advice.  The product is under warranty and you think he should start fucking around with a solder iron.  *golf clap*  Another great idea from the likes of BCP19.

warranty shmarrenty.. how much is that worth these days. Its only good if you can get B u know who to reply emails.
Anyone had any luck with that?
bcp19

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:29:59 AM

Typical of you to butt in without fully reading what was said.  Why don't you dropt back into your hole?

I do not suffer fools gladly... "Captain!  We're surrounded!"
I embrace my inner Kool-Aid.
DrG
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1035

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 07:56:04 AM

Normally I wouldn't support bcp19 but he's right.  Having been the recipient of dead BFL hardware the warranty is of no use is nobody will accept an RMA (have you tried to RMA with BFL).  Fixing it yourself or finding somebody locally at this point is the better option, in 3 months it may not even be worth shipping back.
NChosting (OP)

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:11:09 AM

Normally I wouldn't support bcp19 but he's right.  Having been the recipient of dead BFL hardware the warranty is of no use is nobody will accept an RMA (have you tried to RMA with BFL).  Fixing it yourself or finding somebody locally at this point is the better option, in 3 months it may not even be worth shipping back.

It kinda is worth it now, to ship back I mean. BUT, its been a week and no reply from Bfifi. SO, at some point you gotta get over the fact that you were lied to, cheated, been treated like a moron in exchange for ALOT of cash and just get on with it.

If anyone has had the same prob, can you pls tell me if you resolved it and how? Alot of single sc's seem to have probs, there must be someone with similar issues.

Thanks for the input guys.
BTCNations

Activity: 14

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 09:28:16 AM

if there is problem with RMA its sure better to find someone locally to fix it.
lightfoot
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 2242

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 03:48:15 PM

I can tell you what's wrong.

The FETs in the 12 volt to 1 volt DC-DC power converter have shorted out/blown. This happens if you flash the unit with a version that runs the chips all-out (which is more than what the DC-DC can handle).

If you flashed it, you have a RMA problem. If you didn't, call BFL and have them ship you out a new one immediately.

DO NOT try to use a "bigger" power supply. What will happen is you will feed the short and simply smoke the hell out of the board.

If you can't RMA it and would like to sell it for parts, please PM me; I am looking for a dead jally/single to test some thoughts on.

C
NChosting (OP)

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 12:02:14 PM

I can tell you what's wrong.

The FETs in the 12 volt to 1 volt DC-DC power converter have shorted out/blown. This happens if you flash the unit with a version that runs the chips all-out (which is more than what the DC-DC can handle).

If you flashed it, you have a RMA problem. If you didn't, call BFL and have them ship you out a new one immediately.

DO NOT try to use a "bigger" power supply. What will happen is you will feed the short and simply smoke the hell out of the board.

If you can't RMA it and would like to sell it for parts, please PM me; I am looking for a dead jally/single to test some thoughts on.

C

Well, I didnt flash it.

I wish it was that simple. Call BFL and get them to ship a new one out. Thats the kind of thing a person dreams of.
After waiting a year and only using it for a month you'd think thats the least they could do.

Anyways, do you think I can swap the FET? What do I need exactly? And how do you think it blew?

Thanks
GigaWave

Activity: 239
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 04, 2013, 04:03:29 AM

Man this thread is full of win.

See my thread on BFL's site: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/jalapeno-single-sc-support/5237-bfl-single-sc-60gh-psu-failure-how-do-i-fix.html

Read my entire OP. The BFL PSU's are down right dangerous. Consider you self lucky.  Try powering it with a PC PSU of the proper size. BFL was of no help to me and wasted a week of mining, before I figured out the issue. I now have a box with a new PSU from BFL that I never even opened....sorry I meant, a new paper weight...

And just remember when contacting them, you are a fault no matter what and you will be treated like so. You are expected to roll over and take it from them, or  else they will drag out the correspondence.

Also, BFL's forums are not for support from BFL staff. It's just a place  for customers to collaborate and try to read the staffs minds.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: