Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 05:31:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Considering mining  (Read 633 times)
joerack91 (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 10:35:43 AM

HEllo,

so I've bought a few bitcoins a few months ago and got a good return, now I'm completely crypto-broke, as I've sold everything.

I would like to get back in but my hardware isn't good at all

I have a notebook I7 with geforce 210m, and a I3-2105 with integrated gpu inside a htpc case( so I cannot mount a vga card)

I was considering mining some alt coins like franko, zetacoin, or megacoin, that seem to be on the rise.

I have a couple questions: should I go sha -256 and buy a couple usb erupters, so that I don't need to buy a new cabinet for my desktop pc (to fit a vga), or go scrypt (vga mandatory)...

Also, could you advise me a couple alt-coin worth mining?

thanks
azw409

Activity: 73

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 10:49:08 AM

For Bitcoin, forget using a GPU or Block Erupters because the difficulty is now so high that you'll get almost nothing from them.

As an example, I have 2 block erupters that I've been running for 3 months and I've made around 0.25. Now with current difficulty, I make 0.01 BTC every 3 weeks and in 4 weeks time it'll probably be half that so even if I left them running another year then I'd probably only make another 0.03 in total.

Luckily with BTC at $1,100 I've made a little profit on the one that I paid £60 for but a big loss on the one that I paid 0.9 BTC for (about the same amount at the time).

You'll need to buy something with 100's GH/s to accumulate any significant BTC, and that'll cost you $1000's. If you think BTC will continue it's exponential growth then just buy BTC directly. The only certainty is that difficulty will continue to grow exponentially so mining is pretty much a loser all round. 
joerack91 (OP)

Activity: 68

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:07:30 AM

I see that on this website,
there are other coins that should theoretically give you a good return if you mine them
eg. neocoin will trade for a bitcoin after only 1 month of mining with a 800 Kh

Now-before I spend like 500 euros for a couple state of the art radeon cards to work in crossfire- what's the catch?
Telosaur

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2013, 12:38:12 AM

I see that on this website,
there are other coins that should theoretically give you a good return if you mine them
eg. neocoin will trade for a bitcoin after only 1 month of mining with a 800 Kh

Now-before I spend like 500 euros for a couple state of the art radeon cards to work in crossfire- what's the catch?

1 catch.

When you mine an altcoin you need to make sure there is enough volume in the exchange for you to sell the coin. It's all well and good if you can mine 10000 coins in one month, but if people aren't willing to buy it at that price then your returns go way way down. Altcoins are a whole other world Smiley

Another thing - don't crossfire your mining cards, this reduces the hashing rate. Run them side by side.

Hope this helps.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: