Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 02:09:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A warning about Rpietila  (Read 7467 times)
accord01

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 03:58:35 PM

Yeah his reasoning with 'data' was pretty off and biased.
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:11:55 PM

perhaps y'all just jealous cuz you're not as rich & cool as rpietila

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:26:57 PM

Risto has made many thought-provoking contributions to bitcoin, including his SSS divestment plan, his real-bills concept, and the interesting super-node idea.  I always look forward to reading his posts and following his threads.  

Risto is walking the steep mountain ridge of genius: below to his left lay the mundane valleys of conformist-sanity, and a few strides to his right--the cliffs of insanity.  From his elevation I think he can sometimes see things that were blocked from my view.  I appreciate the opportunity to listen to his argument and then debate politely on the wide range of topics he is able to discuss.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
Hunyadi
Legendary

Activity: 1281
Merit: 1000

☑ ♟ ☐ ♚

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:36:06 PM

I don't think we need this thread. Leave the guy alone, he's as crazy/sane as any of us are. He believes in bitcoin, so that's good enough for me.

I totally agree - live and let live, and let's leave the personal health issues out?

You can ignore anyone you like here, it is up to you - but a personal attack thread is a bit much.

+1. this isn't a high school clique - ignore who you want privately.

by the way, attacking someone is the best way to give them more power over you.

Totally unnecessary thread. Ad hominem.

▂▃▅▇█▓▒░B**-Cultist░▒▓█▇▅▃▂
lethe

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:41:17 PM

Either way, thread carefully with him

Or maybe knit carefully? I didn't know rpietila was a member of a knitting club.

Seen him in person, didn't get any strange vibes or anything.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:46:02 PM

Had to start a new topic as he deleted my posts in his topic. This is just a reminder to those who might have forgotten or those who are new to bitcoin.

Rpietila is shouting doom and gloom all over the forum, but until the beginning of the year he was predicting a bitcoin valuation of several hundred thousand USD. That was whilst he was in a manic phase, during which his behavior on these forums, as well as in real life caused much sensation and is well documented for those interested in using the search function.

He was subsequently involuntarily hospitalized in a psychiatric facility, diagnosed with Bipolar Affective Disorder, with multiple delusions of grandeur. He now seems to be in a depressive phase of his illness and is spreading doom and gloom on the speculation forums. Either that, or he has sold just before we hit 1000 and is now regretting his mistake.

He's the guy who convinced me to buy Bitcoins when I was sitting on the fence about it. I say give the guy some credit for being one of the most brilliant promoters in the Bitcoin community.

But I don't think he's mentally ill just because you say so and regardless of what you think, he has done well for himself. It might be a good time to cash out for him and enjoy his profit.
Talbot49

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:47:18 PM

I don't think we need this thread. Leave the guy alone, he's as crazy/sane as any of us are. He believes in bitcoin, so that's good enough for me.

I totally agree - live and let live, and let's leave the personal health issues out?

You can ignore anyone you like here, it is up to you - but a personal attack thread is a bit much.

+1. this isn't a high school clique - ignore who you want privately.

by the way, attacking someone is the best way to give them more power over you.

Totally unnecessary thread. Ad hominem.

+1
lucas.sev

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 04:56:44 PM

Looks like someone is freaking out that Risto might talk the price down.
BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:17:51 PM

He was subsequently involuntarily hospitalized in a psychiatric facility, diagnosed with Bipolar Affective Disorder, with multiple delusions of grandeur. He now seems to be in a depressive phase of his illness and is spreading doom and gloom on the speculation forums. Either that, or he has sold just before we hit 1000 and is now regretting his mistake.

Hey man, let Risto alone, he is more smart than you. Anyway, we are not kids, we can take care of ourselves.

Yes this.  Hopefully he can just ignore this thread!

That said, I have often thought that there is a fine line between genius and insanity.  I suppose it has to be that way.  Being a brilliant mind in a world of people that do not "get it" has to be one of the most frustrating places to be.

Many of the people on this board are geniuses.  I am fortunate enough to be mostly normal. Wink  I have my moments of depression and have a brother that is schizophrenic so I understand the battles that can take place in our minds for sure but although I am "above average" I am not at the place most are on here.

I will just pray for Rpietila to have peace of mind so he continue on in his endeavors.  I for one value his deep and analytical input and all that he has contributed to the Bitcoin society.   

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:22:37 PM

Looks like someone is freaking out that Risto might talk the price down.

It takes a lot of talent to talk up the price and then talk it down. He's a genius at it or he genuinely believes what he is saying. I think he genuinely believes what he is saying.
jbord39

Activity: 41

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:23:08 PM

I think there was also an issue with him scamming people for some sort of Bitcoin Summit.  It was in the Netherlands or something and supposedly was going to be the most luxurious trip with like all sorts of amenities (I remember he was particularly proud of his filtered water).
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:41:13 PM

I think there was also an issue with him scamming people for some sort of Bitcoin Summit.  It was in the Netherlands or something and supposedly was going to be the most luxurious trip with like all sorts of amenities (I remember he was particularly proud of his filtered water).
lol, he never scammed anyone, there was a bitcoin summit in finland, trailer: http://vimeo.com/79972491 (password: bitcoin), anyways he got into some arguments with the hotel and after that he ended up being hospitalized. And the staff there asked him if it was okay that he was involuntary hospitalized.  Cheesy

beaconpcguru

Activity: 189

Hello

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 05:56:20 PM

Is a nice feeling when people immortalize someone else, there is no reason to fear anyone or the bitcoin.  The market will do as it wishes and as those with big balances wishes.  Those who have the means don't need to use the forum to make things happen.  I see lots of people claiming to be open minded only to get offended if something is said that does not suit their wishes.  Oh well, happy times.
psychrepublic (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:03:04 PM

for those new to bitcoin and have time to spare during this quiet time, go to rpietila's profile and read his posts from pages 50 down to 40...

My original post was meant as a warning for newbies to be careful about whose advice they follow. I work with people with severe mental health problems for a living, so I know first hand the suffering they and their loved ones go through. I therefore appreciate quite significantly that it is unjust to analyse someone based solely on their mental health, in the process exposing them in public.

However I also believe that highlighting someone's mental health issues becomes important when they put themselves or are deemed to be in a position of power/influence.
bluemoon

Activity: 69

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:03:41 PM

I'm glad to see all the appreciative comments about Risto because he deserves them!

He's the most interesting and intelligent person on the forum!
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:11:25 PM

for those new to bitcoin and have time to spare during this quiet time, go to rpietila's profile and read his posts from pages 50 down to 40...

My original post was meant as a warning for newbies to be careful about whose advice they follow. I work with people with severe mental health problems for a living, so I know first hand the suffering they and their loved ones go through. I therefore appreciate quite significantly that it is unjust to analyse someone based solely on their mental health, in the process exposing them in public.

However I also believe that highlighting someone's mental health issues becomes important when they put themselves or are deemed to be in a position of power/influence.

I find that hard to believe.  You are on a forum where people are convinced that the New World Order invented Bitcoin, where people rave about the Fed being a Jewish conspiracy and with people who are convinced lizard people from space run the world.  And you worry about Rpietila?  Seriously, admit you made a scummy thread and stop posting.
bluemoon

Activity: 69

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:16:36 PM

I find that hard to believe.  You are on a forum where people are convinced that the New World Order invented Bitcoin, where people rave about the Fed being a Jewish conspiracy and with people who are convinced lizard people from space run the world.  And you worry about Rpietila?  Seriously, admit you made a scummy thread and stop posting.

I agree.
Crazy

Activity: 182
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:17:37 PM

Also agreed. This thread was made in poor taste.

Elon Krusky
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:21:26 PM

break yo stigma
beaconpcguru

Activity: 189

Hello

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 06:40:00 PM

Personal attack threads...  funny with all the utopian mouth fulls that gets passed but then can't stand to have an opinion differ .. much hypocrisy.. keep up the good work Rpietila, logical extrapolations and conjecture are forbidden especially in a speculation forum.  Come on now kids.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: