Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 05:32:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A warning about Rpietila  (Read 7467 times)
psychrepublic (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:24:16 AM
Last edit: November 30, 2013, 04:56:27 PM by psychrepublic

Had to start a new topic as he deleted my posts in his topic. This is just a reminder to those who might have forgotten or those who are new to bitcoin.

Rpietila is shouting doom and gloom all over the forum, but until the beginning of the year he was predicting a bitcoin valuation of several hundred thousand USD. That was whilst he was in a manic phase, during which his behavior on these forums, as well as in real life caused much sensation and is well documented for those interested in using the search function.

He was subsequently involuntarily hospitalized in a psychiatric facility, diagnosed with Bipolar Affective Disorder, with multiple delusions of grandeur. He now seems to be in a depressive phase of his illness and is spreading doom and gloom on the speculation forums. Either that, or he has sold just before we hit 1000 and is now regretting his mistake.

Either way, tread carefully with him
Hawker
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:41:00 AM

Had to start a new topic as he deleted my posts in his topic. This is just a reminder to those who might have forgotten or those who are new to bitcoin.

Rpietila is shouting doom and gloom all over the forum, but until the beginning of the year he was predicting a bitcoin valuation of several hundred thousand USD. That was whilst he was in a manic phase, during which his behavior on these forums, as well as in real life caused much sensation and is well documented for those interested in using the search function.

He was subsequently involuntarily hospitalized in a psychiatric facility, diagnosed with Bipolar Affective Disorder, with multiple delusions of grandeur. He now seems to be in a depressive phase of his illness and is spreading doom and gloom on the speculation forums. Either that, or he has sold just before we hit 1000 and is now regretting his mistake.

Either way, thread carefully with him

Most of us who have been in Bitcoin for a few years have been called lunatics.  It seems to me that securities traders are a "type" and a lot of them do have manic depressive episodes.  Does the work attract that type of person or is that type of person better at it than the rest of us?  Who knows?  In either case, its a little unfair and illogical to say someone is wrong because they were sick. 
accord01

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:42:09 AM

Wait, it's confirmed that he was hospitalized?
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:49:49 AM

just to throw fuel on this fire, anyone else noticed a the change in language style before/after?

might just be me though  Undecided

edit: (I don't mean from cheerful to depressed I mean dialect wise, like a different nationality)

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Odalv
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:52:23 AM

Welcome back Rpietila!

Thank you, you actually moved my heart. The total communications ban (although I see it was necessary considering my health) was very difficult to take mentally and I picked up a habit of chain-smoking cigars (almost the only thing allowed for me to do during the reset my mind). I will hopefully not write too much or too weird things since this board is followed by my medical staff. Also please do not you call me King of Europe or anything.

I have some notes, which I will be released in due time. Now just consider that I am still inside the ward, just first day trying to use computer.
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 11:58:17 AM

Wait, it's confirmed that he was hospitalized?

Confirmed multiple times by rpietila himself.

I met some of his staff at the San Jose conference, but he was unable to attend.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
psychrepublic (OP)

Activity: 13

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 11:58:56 AM

yes he was, by his own assertion:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=232802

the change in language is quite typical when one switches from a manic phase to a euthymic or depressive phase...
seanneko

Activity: 196

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 12:08:30 PM

So, what's the story behind him? I read that he took a photo with someone elses Rolls Royce pretending it's his.

Is he actually a whale or is that a lie too?
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 12:10:50 PM

So, what's the story behind him? I read that he took a photo with someone elses Rolls Royce pretending it's his.

Is he actually a whale or is that a lie too?

He's actually a whale.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Le Happy Merchant

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 12:13:27 PM

Well I think its funny.

We need a dozen or so more of him around here. Put them in production.

traderCJ

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 12:15:25 PM

I'd rather be poor than manic depressive.  Talk about a curse.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2013, 12:18:02 PM

I'd rather be poor than manic depressive.  Talk about a curse.
Being bipolar is actually closer to being schizophrenic than manic depressive.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 12:35:54 PM

Don't care. His SSS plan is tops, and whatever else he might be at least he's not obnoxious enough to get on ignore. Good luck with health etc.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
nesevis

Activity: 35

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 12:42:32 PM

I'd rather be poor than manic depressive.  Talk about a curse.
Being bipolar is actually closer to being schizophrenic than manic depressive.

Manic-depressive is an old term for bipolar. It's a mood disorder, and can't be compared to a schizophrenic disorder.
emanymton

Activity: 219
Merit: 106

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 01:09:46 PM

I like Rpietila, god forbid he expresses a different opinion to most others on the forum,
and how dare he express it in a different way to what most other people do  Shocked
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:11:53 PM

I don't think we need this thread. Leave the guy alone, he's as crazy/sane as any of us are. He believes in bitcoin, so that's good enough for me.

more or less retired.
kurious
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 1643

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:18:24 PM

I don't think we need this thread. Leave the guy alone, he's as crazy/sane as any of us are. He believes in bitcoin, so that's good enough for me.

I totally agree - live and let live, and let's leave the personal health issues out?

You can ignore anyone you like here, it is up to you - but a personal attack thread is a bit much.

我想要火箭和火车
the_sunship

Activity: 230

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:42:23 PM

I totally agree - live and let live, and let's leave the personal health issues out?

You can ignore anyone you like here, it is up to you - but a personal attack thread is a bit much.

+1. this isn't a high school clique - ignore who you want privately.

by the way, attacking someone is the best way to give them more power over you.
ajax3592

Activity: 210

Crypto News & Tutorials - Coinramble.com

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 02:46:03 PM

Let's say even he is actually creating panic, so what? At least he's putting real efforts to create the oppurtunity he's after.
In return if you are feeling threatened by him you go ahead and start with a bull thread with some charts, statistics and predictions, lol, what's the big deal.

Crypto news/tutorials >>CoinRamble<<                            >>Netcodepool<<                >>My graphics<<
Kleptoid

Activity: 35

View Profile
November 30, 2013, 03:38:52 PM

I'm bi-polar, I hope he's ok. I'm all for warnings about blatant manipulation, but shouting about people's mental health isn't nice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: