Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:48:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think it is fair to save merits for high-quality, low-ranked members?  (Read 1123 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Don Pedro Dinero (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1473

The first decentralized crypto betting platform

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2018, 10:03:59 AM
Last edit: May 10, 2018, 04:18:34 AM by Don Pedro Dinero
Merited by suchmoon (2), bones261 (2), eddie13 (1), r1s2g3 (1), theyoungmillionaire (1), Shitcointalk (1)

I don’t  get enough smerits to spend as often as I would like to. This has made me decide that I am only going to give merits to high quality posters, lower ranked members; I won’t give any for Legendary members and maybe not to Hero members either.

I think it is better due to scarcity to save them for people who have a long way to rank up rather than for those who are at the top already and get merits easily.

What do you think about? Do you do the same? Do you think it is fair?
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Ginzink

Activity: 462
Merit: 118

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 11:04:17 AM

I don’t  get enough smerits to spend as often as I would like to. This has made me decide that I am only going to give merits to lower ranked members; I won’t give any for Legendary members and maybe not to Hero members either.

I think it is better due to scarcity to save them for people who have a long way to rank up rather than for those who are at the top already and get merits easily.

I very rarely have any myself, and if i got some i send them quite fast as there are many posts that deserve it but does not receive merit.
But i like your idea and might start to do the same.

And is it fair? Yes as long as the post you give merit to are post you believe deserve it.
Don Pedro Dinero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2018, 11:09:40 AM

I very rarely have any myself, and if i got some i send them quite fast as there are many posts that deserve it ...

I used to do that but I ran out so quickly that I've changed my mind now.
RAMSHIVDEEPAK

Activity: 224
Merit: 18

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 11:42:53 AM

I don’t  get enough smerits to spend as often as I would like to. This has made me decide that I am only going to give merits to lower ranked members; I won’t give any for Legendary members and maybe not to Hero members either.

I think ,it is a good idea.It will boost the confidence of new member and he will try to post more useful post for us.
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 3010

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2018, 01:49:58 PM
Merited by suchmoon (2), Jet Cash (1)

I think it is better to award them to posts you find interesting, without considering the author.
bones261
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1826

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 10:11:28 PM

I was starting to use the strategy that the OP suggested. I wanted to be a good guy and help people rank up that deserve it. I was being really picky though on who exactly would get my 1 smerit. However, it appears that my smerits faucet is running over. Going to lower my criteria just a tad. Cheesy
paxmao
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1575

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
May 04, 2018, 11:50:43 PM

I was starting to use the strategy that the OP suggested. I wanted to be a good guy and help people rank up that deserve it. I was being really picky though on who exactly would get my 1 smerit. However, it appears that my smerits faucet is running over. Going to lower my criteria just a tad. Cheesy

I have lowered my standard just a bit. I still ask for a decent constructive post, but sometimes I may overlook how accurate it is or if it has links and sources.
Daboy_Lyle

Activity: 532
Merit: 148

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 02:11:20 AM

Yes it will be better if you'll only give merit for lower ranks but most of good quality posts created, the authors is on a high rank like Hero or Legendary even they don't need it because their rank are likely "maximum". Most of my sMerits are given to Full Member below. I agreed with this because I'm only a member wants to rank up. I had seen many low ranks trying to post a good one but sometimes it's results to spamming that's why  their are only few that are very sincere to rank by doing it their own.
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 8906

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2018, 02:43:23 AM
Merited by malevolent (1), Jet Cash (1)

I merit posts, not posters. Unfortunately I can't really avoid noticing the poster's name/rank/etc when I'm reading their post but I try to train myself to not pay attention to that and merit based solely on the content of the post.

That said, I don't see anything wrong with the OP's approach if the supply of sMerits is limited and you have to choose who gets them.
sham100899

Activity: 182
Merit: 14

https://bizzilions.com/?ref=sham100899

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2018, 04:07:27 AM

I don’t  get enough smerits to spend as often as I would like to. This has made me decide that I am only going to give merits to lower ranked members; I won’t give any for Legendary members and maybe not to Hero members either.

I agree with you. It is indeed a help to merit lower ranks that post a quality post.

Thank you for your generosity! More power!
I hope many higher rank members here in bitcointalk has that generosity and fairness like you.
Don Pedro Dinero (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2018, 04:26:11 AM

I think it is better to award them to posts you find interesting, without considering the author.

I would do that if I had unlimited smerits and, in fact, that was what I was doing before.

The problem with that is that I find interesting posts soon, and I run out. So, when I find more interesting posts, I don’t have merits to send. With limited smerits, I consider awarding posts written by a Legendary member a waste. With Hero members is not so much of a waste, but they get them easily.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3037

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 04:49:28 AM
Merited by malevolent (1)

It's not fair. Higher-ranked users still need sMerits to reward other users. You should merit posts that deserve it, regardless of rank.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2432

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2018, 08:44:31 AM

I think the sole criterion should be the benefit the post brings to the forum and its members. As you can see, I have awarded merits to two legendaries in this thread. Smiley
sham100899

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2018, 09:12:18 AM

It's not fair. Higher-ranked users still need sMerits to reward other users. You should merit posts that deserve it, regardless of rank.

Yeah but lower rank users is badly in need of merit to level up, we consider it as a form of charity.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2432

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2018, 09:16:07 AM

Yeah but lower rank users is badly in need of merit to level up, we consider it as a form of charity.

This forum isn't a charity. Hopefully those looking for charity rewards will go elsewhere now that merits have been introduced. They were screwing u the forum for those of us who don't mind working for a living.
sham100899

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2018, 09:57:07 AM

This forum isn't a charity. Hopefully those looking for charity rewards will go elsewhere now that merits have been introduced. They were screwing u the forum for those of us who don't mind working for a living.

I got you, but in my own opinion there is a difference between equality and justice.
So, if you treat others equally you mean that regardless of the rank you will give merit to those who have quality post.
But if you choose justice you will give merit to those in need of merit but also deserving to have merit and who posts quality posts.
In other words prioritize lower rank users who are also deserving to have merit.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3037

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 11:53:12 AM

we consider it as a form of charity.
Merit is not charity. If you want it, you'll have to earn it.
sham100899

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2018, 12:14:00 PM

we consider it as a form of charity.
Merit is not charity. If you want it, you'll have to earn it.

I know, actually it depends on the user.
fernandoaleixo

Activity: 126
Merit: 4

Community Manager at Bitsurf.eu

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2018, 02:33:12 PM

Hello, as a low-ranked member I believe this merit system is good and your idea of saving is not bad, as long you really give it to people who deserve it. I believe you will be often seeing yourself giving merit to older people because they are more used and better on finding and posting interesting content. However, I really would like a system where anyone can highlight a good post (tho I fear the spamming), so it's easier for veterans to see it and give it more merit chances, I often see really fruitful topics without any merit and I wonder if it's not because enough veterans has seen it.
Zwei

Activity: 482
Merit: 529

All I need's a win.

View Profile
May 05, 2018, 02:37:12 PM

I know, actually it depends on the user.

its not, it depends on the post, you should care less about who is the poster or his rank.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: